2002 F-150 4.2L Coil/Sensor Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 02:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 F-150 4.2L Coil/Sensor Problems

I have a 2002 F-150 4.2L.
About 6 months ago I had stuttering problems with it. I got it diagnosed and found out it was running lean and a misfire on cylinder #2. I cleaned the MAF sensor with electronic cleaner and replaced the fuel filter, wire and spark plug on cylinder #2. All was good for a few months then I had a misfire on #3 and lean again. This time the coil went out and I replaced it. I also cleaned the MAF again. Now, I am having a misfire on #1 and #5. I have replaced the spark plugs, but not the wires yet. My truck has a rough idle and hardly any power when accelerating. I am considering that it is a bad coil again but I do not want to have to replace it every few months since they cost $80 a pop. I also saw that I have some exposed wire that is part of the plug that connects to the MAF Sensor body. Is there a solution to stop the coil and cylinders from malfunctioning? And to make my engine from running lean?

Also, here is a list of potential problems that it could:
1. MAF Sensor dirty/not functioning correctly
2. O2 Sensor malfunctioning
3. Spark Plug Wires are bad
4. Need a Retuning/New Programming
5. K&N Filter too oily
6. Coil not sending voltage to certain cylinders
7. PCV and/or IAC have a leak (or some other vacuum leak)
8. Throttle Body is dirty

If anyone has more to add or thinks any aren't a possible issue, please feel free to speak. I did research and that is what I came up with. The problem that I have seen occur the most is that the coil is failing but I have yet to see anyone have a solution for it.

Thanks
J

Old 06-21-2009, 04:05 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
You know what this sounds like J ? Sounds to me like your using Autolite spark plugs. Although she's not a modular, it's within a generation of Ford Engines that didn't like Autolite plugs.

Last edited by jbrew; 06-21-2009 at 04:09 AM.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:37 AM
Originally Posted by jbrew
You know what this sounds like J ? Sounds to me like your using Autolite spark plugs. Although she's not a modular, it's within a generation of Ford Engines that didn't like Autolite plugs.
i disagree with you

i have a 4.2l v6 f150 that loves autolite spark plugs. i use copper core autolite 103's on my turbocharged 4.2l v6 f150.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:30 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by tj03f150
i disagree with you

i have a 4.2l v6 f150 that loves autolite spark plugs. i use copper core autolite 103's on my turbocharged 4.2l v6 f150.
That's nice, then it's not your truck having the problems is it. Last I new 103's were Double Plats which ARE NOT a spec Ford Plug. Yea, I doubt he's TC'ed.

Autolite does make a copper plug, I'm not sure what the #'s are on them. Those are indeed, better in these engines.

Anyway, CONGRATS, I guess

To the OP, - Ford ignition's have been picky about plugs in the past,- seen it many times, but before I go into detail, lets see if your running them first.

Last edited by jbrew; 06-21-2009 at 05:46 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
That's nice, then it's not your truck having the problems is it. Last I new 103's were Double Plats which ARE NOT a spec Ford Plug. Yea, I doubt he's TC'ed.

Autolite does make a copper plug, I'm not sure what the #'s are on them. Those are indeed, better in these engines.

Anyway, CONGRATS, I guess

To the OP, - Ford ignition's have been picky about plugs in the past,- seen it many times, but before I go into detail, lets see if your running them first.
Incorrect.
103 = autolite copper
ap103 = autolite platinum
app103 = autolite double platinum
xp103 = autolite iridium

Of these I am certain.

My fords and lincolns don't mind autolites, they do seem to dislike bosch on occasion though. Chevys seem to like the bosch okay. Wifes' Durango doesn't like ngk's (4.7 sludge factory-don't buy Chrysler unless its diesel).

So JBrew, maybe ya should Check da facts before dismissing someone else's post.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:22 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Good grief. That post is almost 5 years old.

Quick Reply: 2002 F-150 4.2L Coil/Sensor Problems