Help! 04' Heritage no Hi beams?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help! 04' Heritage no Hi beams?

Hey everyone

dont know what happened? i loaned out my 04' Heritage to my mom and uncle yesterday. they came back and asked me to drop them off. as we drove back, i went to turn the headlights from lo-beam to hi-beam. the lights when out. i did it again. same thing. fine with lo-beams. no lights when in hi-beams. they me told it was already like that when they were driving back. the night before they worked just fine. i've checked the fuse labeled 'Headlamps(high beams)' fuse is good. dont know where else to check? i dont really see any other labeling of fuses that would indicate 'high beams'. anyone got any ideas? would greatly appreciate any guidance.
thanks

Old 12-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
does your high beam indicator come on when yout turn the highs on?

do the highs come on when you do the FTP (flash to pass)?

Old 12-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The obvious fuse is Central Junction box ( cab fuse panel ) Fuse #16 20 A, is this the one you are talking about ?

Does the flash to pass mode work ? ( pull back on the MFS, rather then pushing forward )

If this fuse was good, the thing to check :
1. remove fuse
2. Turn main headlamp switch to headlamp position
3. push forward on the MFS to turn on the high beams
4. pull CJB Fuse # 16
5. with one end of a volt meter on a known good ground, probe both sides of the fuse slot for + DC ( 12.6 ) voltage. one side should be dead.

If you do not have voltage here, the problem is back towards the MFS.

If you have voltage here, the problem is towards the bulb, and I would put Fuse #16 back in, and check for voltage at the bulb connector ( black = ground / light green w/ black stripe is high beam ).

Old 12-04-2008, 08:59 PM
hey fellas

i have checked the FTP. that doesnt work, but the indicator on the panel lites up.
and yes it is the #16 fuse 20A that i did check in the cap fuse panel.
i will more than likely gona have to check the voltage at the two points tomorrow, you speak of SSCULLy. i do appreciate the response and will keep you informed...
thanks

Old 12-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Okay Update!

It was the damn Bulbs! i had put these 'blue bulbs' in about 6 months or so ago. i dont remember the manufactor. as soon as i pulled out the bulb on one side i could see the broken filiament. yes on both bulbs! my concern is what would cause this and should i get it checked even more so by taking it in to the dealer? but im glad i kept the old bulbs around. I'm even more grateful to both you fellows (O2CS4x4 & SSCULLY)for pointing me in the right direction.
Thanks!

Old 12-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by milfordw
hey fellas

i have checked the FTP. that doesnt work, but the indicator on the panel lites up.
and yes it is the #16 fuse 20A that i did check in the cap fuse panel.
i will more than likely gona have to check the voltage at the two points tomorrow, you speak of SSCULLy. i do appreciate the response and will keep you informed...
thanks
Don't bother taking the fuse out and checking, the indicator lamp on the instrument panel is after the MFS and CJB fuse #16. ( as long as the indicator works on both FTP and high beam selections on the MFS )

Pull the bulb out ( don't touch the glass to your skin ) and check the bulb connector for power with the high beams on.

color codes again :
black = ground
light green w/ black stripe is high beam

Line up the wire into the bulb connector to get the correct pins on the truck harness.

Quick Reply: Help! 04' Heritage no Hi beams?