tapping 3rd brake wire

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question tapping 3rd brake wire

I have dived into installing a firestorm led tailgate bar. Wiring is a hassle, as been stated here before. Can anyone give any good suggestions on the best place to tap into the 3rd brake light (+) wire without going into the headliner. Is there a good place to tap into the wires under the door sill plates? Thanks in advance. Any help will be appreciated!

Old 03-05-2008, 11:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dlsipe1
I have dived into installing a firestorm led tailgate bar. Wiring is a hassle, as been stated here before. Can anyone give any good suggestions on the best place to tap into the 3rd brake light (+) wire without going into the headliner. Is there a good place to tap into the wires under the door sill plates? Thanks in advance. Any help will be appreciated!
Why the third brake light, just use one of the tail lights?

Old 03-06-2008, 12:44 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I think he is referring to the firestorm that runs along the step bars on the side of the truck. Even so, I'd run some spliced wire and feed it from the trailer lights.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:59 AM
Tis because the Firestorm requires an input separate from the brake/blinker on our trucks. It is a real pain in the a$$ to put in. The brake function is only for the brake lights...not to include the turn signal function. The signals are fed from the front blinkers.

and no.. it's the hard way to put lights on the back of the truck under the tailgate. the firestorm has separate brake, signal and back up lights. No pleasure to install!

Last edited by dlsipe1; 03-06-2008 at 01:08 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:13 AM
Originally Posted by dlsipe1
Tis because the Firestorm requires an input separate from the brake/blinker on our trucks. It is a real pain in the a$$ to put in. The brake function is only for the brake lights...not to include the turn signal function. The signals are fed from the front blinkers.

and no.. it's the hard way to put lights on the back of the truck under the tailgate. the firestorm has separate brake, signal and back up lights. No pleasure to install!
So run them from the power to the rear turn signals. Why is that hard? The same power from the flasher goes to the front and rear, if he splices it there it will work just like it would work at the bulb socket. As for brake lights, the same would work, and if it has a parking light function he can splice into the rear socket as well, If it doesn't he could wire in a resistor and make it have a parking light function.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:03 AM
I wish it were that easy. This needs to read a separate signal from the brakes and turn signals. Your tail lights do not differentiate between the two. Trust me, if it were that easy, it would have been done by now. Just need a spot to tap the 3rd brake light.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:59 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Took a look at your gallery to get the MY of your truck ( should really complete your profile ), to be a '04+ MY truck.

Ford installed a lead for an aftermarket CHMSL ( your case, or cap 3rd brake light ) .

In the driver's side kick panel ( by the parking brake foot lever ) there is a splice S333, which is from 3 Light green wires.

This is circuit 511, which is from the Brake Pedal Position Switch ( some times called BOO or brake on off switch ).

The EVTM shows this as a stub wire ( blind end taped ?? ) I don't know how long this lead is, could be 6" ??

Pull the kick panel off, and take a look in there for the light green wire, if you cannot find the stub, you can always just tap into this circuit again. This is the same circuit that runs to the CHMSL on the cab of the truck.

Good luck.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:40 PM
That's what I needed to know. Thanks!!!

I'll try to update the profile too

Old 03-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Easier 3rd brake lead

Under the driver's side front door along the frame is where you can find a fast easy hook up. You will not have to drill or anything like that to gain access either. At this location you will find, behind a plastic protective housing for the factory wiring, the CHMSL wire. Light green wire with a protected end and a tag CHMSL that you can connect to for solely brake light signal. This wire is provided specifically for aftermarket brake lights. Hopefully this makes things easier for you. Good luck!!

Old 10-12-2008, 12:47 AM
'06 Third Stop Light

Thanks Topperman! I've spent several hours looking for that light green wire. It was exactly where you said it woudl be.

Quick Reply: tapping 3rd brake wire