Power Windows/Batery Discharge Very Unusual and Strange Problem or Burglar?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Windows/Batery Discharge Very Unusual and Strange Problem or Burglar?

Hi guys I hope you can help me.
Something very strange just happened to me.
I have a 2004 f-150 bought it used it's still under 50k (do I have any warranty?), 4 doors, power windows, power doors.
I had to leave the house and truck for 4 weeks when I came back the battery was dead and one of the back windows was totally opened!!!
I charge the battery again with a jump cable and the same door won't go up anymore, I tried everything. I push the button and the door make noises, specially going down to go up does't do any noise.
So I raised it up with my hands to go over night like this and I put some silver tape from inside to keep the window up.
Today when I check the truck again, the battery was dead again and the other back windows was down!!!!It's unbelievable.
Is it a burglar or a electrical problem?
I couldn't raise the other window up I put some plastic bags to spent the night, I hope the alarm and battery stay on over night.
By the way, the other window stayed up overnight with the silver tape, it opened just a little bit.
How can I fix it?
In case there is a mechanical problem on the window, usually how much to fix it?
Thanks.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:14 PM
Please guys, help me out here...I would like to know your input in my issue.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Pull the interior door panel off, unplug it from the switch.

The window motor should have a connector on it with 2 pins. Apply 12 V to these, and it will go up ( or if it does not, reverse the polarity ).

Leave the switch unplugged from the window, to see if you are having a problem with the switch on that door. Have read threads like this ( search would produce them ), and the one I recall an answer being posted to, it was a switch causing the issue.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:05 PM
Hey sscully, thank you very much for your help, I've tried several times using the search with no success finding a case just like mine.
Can you please elaborate better how do I fix this?
I am a totally newbie with no extra cash, if I can i would like to save some and do it myself.
Thanks.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:18 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dereks
..<snip>....
Can you please elaborate better how do I fix this?
..<snip>....
Start with the testing of the switch removed.

Pop the switch trim panel from the inside ( the part towards the passenger ) and press the tab on the connector to release it from the switch.

Door panel removal should be 2 screws at the bottom, and one behind the rectangle cover behind the door handle. Look for oen under the switch panel also. Door panel should slide up.

Once you have the door panel off, you will ( most likely ) need to remove the speaker to see where the motor plugs into the wiring that routes to the switch connector you already unplugged.

should look something close to this

That is the 2 pin connector you need to get power to, to get the window up ( or reverse the polarity if it does not go up ).

At this point, do not plug anything back together, just put the door panel back on, and snap the switch trim panel back on, and see if the window still has an issue.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:26 PM
Hey Scculy, I went to ford today and they are charging 102+tax for diagnostic but the lady told that should be regulator, since it is power passing thru the windows she thinks it's not a switch and she gave a $800,00 estimate to do it....$400 parts only for both windows.
Since I am unemployed and have no money I was wondering if I could learn how to fix it by myself, following pictures or tutorials online.
I am not using the car`anyway now I am just worry about burglars and rain.
What do you think?
Where could I find something?
I don't have any experience doing this so I need help/advice even to remove the plastic panel inside.
Thanks.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:47 PM
In case it's too hard to change it by myself, is there a way and I put something on the windows so they can't be opened from outside?
Right one window is moving up and down but you can move with your hands even when the truck is running the window goes down.
The other one is stucked all the way down, I can't get it to come up.
I just need to make them steady so noone can move them from outside and the keep close while the truck is running until I raise the money to fix it.
Thanks.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
try putting a 2x4 under the window

Old 02-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by dereks
In case it's too hard to change it by myself, is there a way and I put something on the windows so they can't be opened from outside?
Right one window is moving up and down but you can move with your hands even when the truck is running the window goes down.
The other one is stucked all the way down, I can't get it to come up.
I just need to make them steady so noone can move them from outside and the keep close while the truck is running until I raise the money to fix it.
Thanks.
SSCULLY's out of town for the next few days, so he's not ignoring you. Dereks, if you can, go to an automotive store and buy a Haynes manual for the f150. It has pictures and instructions for removing the door panels and even for working on the power window system.

Honestly, I can't believe that your two back window regulators or switches would suddenly give up the ghost. I feel the problem is somehow related to the battery, but how, I don't know. If you need replacement parts, I'd try a junkyard before buying things from a dealership.

And we're about to leave on a trip too, so I'm not ignoring you either.

- Jack

Old 02-26-2009, 10:39 PM
Hey JackandJanet, thank you very much for your help...
As I mention the car was parked for over a month and sudenly one window went down, when I tried to raise the window starting the engine, the batery was dead, so I raise the window with my hand and the engine worked with jump cable.
Next day the other window was down and the day before I tested the all 3 windows, the other back window was doing a strange noise and sounded that about to stop working, but was working a day before.
I explain this to the service center at Ford and they told was the regulators but they didn't test anything.
Do u think could be any other thing?Maybe my batery is bad or doesn't have enough power, I don't know, hoping for the best.
The labor and parts are very expensive.
I will look for the manual, thanks!!!

Quick Reply: Power Windows/Batery Discharge Very Unusual and Strange Problem or Burglar?