Simple Antitheft

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simple Antitheft

Remember when cars had only one coil instead of one for each cylinder? It was very easy to make an antitheft device by cutting the ground wire to that coil and hiding a switch somewhere in the cab. Then if someone broke in they couldn't start it. My question is how do we make a simple antitheft for a 2004 F150?

Old 03-31-2008, 04:20 PM
Install a hidden switch in the small wire that supplies +12v to the starter solenoid.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:08 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by LastSplash
Install a hidden switch in the small wire that supplies +12v to the starter solenoid.
The trouble with that approach is that it practically "advertises" what the problem is, since the starter won't turn over. With the switched off ground wire, you were left wondering if the problem was spark or fuel.

On an older Toyota PU, (don't throw darts please), I installed a switch on the electrical supply to the fuel pump. I used a "push-button" switch for this and "hid" it where it could not be seen, only "felt". (Because it was a push-button, it was not obviously a switch).

With the pump cut off, the engine would sort of "try" to start, but wouldn't run well enough to drive. Acted kind of like a very "sick" vehicle.

I haven't looked at the electrical diagrams on f150s for the fuel pump supply, but you might give this a thought.

My truck has a PATs key, so I'm under the impression it's fairly hard to start without it.

- Jack

Old 03-31-2008, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by sooner89
Remember when cars had only one coil instead of one for each cylinder? It was very easy to make an antitheft device by cutting the ground wire to that coil and hiding a switch somewhere in the cab. Then if someone broke in they couldn't start it. My question is how do we make a simple antitheft for a 2004 F150?
It may sound stupid, but just pull the fuel pump fuse at night.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:46 PM
mines got the pats too and it SUCKS when something happens and you have to have it reflashed...

but man it is nice when someone tries to steal it

Old 03-31-2008, 07:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had a fuel pump cut off switch in my jeep. worked like a charm. the fuel pump hot lead ran right along the driverside floor under the carpet. i've been debating this mod to my truck

Old 03-31-2008, 08:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would just run a n intercept to the negative to a toggle. May be obvious there is a cut-off switch, but have fun finding it!

25 Minutes and a 35 cent toggle switch. Could even add several toggle switches. One for the negative on the battery, one for the fuel pump.

Intercept to the hot on the alty, so even if they get it started, wont last too long...

Old 03-31-2008, 09:19 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by OrdnanceCorps
I would just run a n intercept to the negative to a toggle. May be obvious there is a cut-off switch, but have fun finding it!

25 Minutes and a 35 cent toggle switch. Could even add several toggle switches. One for the negative on the battery, one for the fuel pump.

Intercept to the hot on the alty, so even if they get it started, wont last too long...
You could really go crazy on this couldn't you? I've thought of wiring up a Claymore mine to the ignition (if I could find one, that is). But then decided I'd probably just blow myself up since I'd have a "senior moment" and forget to disarm the damned thing when I wanted to drive it!

- Jack

Old 03-31-2008, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by cva-59
It may sound stupid, but just pull the fuel pump fuse at night.
I used to do this but it got old.. I installed a switch from my fuel pump and it works excellent.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:55 PM
Great this is exactly what i was looking for. I think I will hook up a fuel pump switch.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:12 PM
Yeah- in the 97-03 its in the passenger kick panel. Its easy to run a couple black wires in that panel then under the carpet to wherever you want.

Quick Reply: Simple Antitheft