Old 04-13-2015, 06:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
04 F150 - Radio stays on after key removed & door open
http://www.f150online.com/forums/ele...door-open.html

ISSUE
Radio continues to play even while the door is opened. This could be symptomatic of the accessory delay relay stuck in on or this could be the fault of corroded wiring.

Read below for the full discussion…
Print Wikipost

Old 12-18-2011, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too had this same issue that just started last week. Long story it was a spliced black wire with a yellow strip under located in the bundle of wires, under the “front” driver's door sill plate – Wire had corroded around the splice and there was some water in the wiring channel. Nevertheless I took everything completely a part within the entire door – thinking the door switch/latch was the problem. I truly just wanted to say thanks for giving me another place to look. This saved me a ton of cash – thank you all for that ……

Old 03-20-2012, 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by jhogan20
Sounds like a common problem, I had that same problem on my 06 after less than a year. They fixed it under warranty no questions.
do u have any idea what they did. every thing works just radio wont shut off

Old 10-04-2012, 02:04 PM
Found the wire

I have been having the exact same problem. I have a 2004 F150 Lariat extended cab. Radio stays on, no door chime, windows remain operable when doors open - all until the time out period of about 15 minutes. Removed the door sill plate, unscrewed the 2 plastic fittings holding in the wiring harness closest to the rear door. Slightly lifted the wiring harness and there it was the purple/violet wire. Spliced the wire back together and works great again. I thought the problem in the driver map light would be related to that ... it randomly goes on and off, but that is another issue i suppose. I'll have to search for that one. I'm new here, so thanks for all the input!

Old 12-19-2012, 05:17 PM
Same issue... Sort of..

All,
I'm having a similar problem (06 Lariat Screw 4X4) but not as severe as many in this thread. My stereo stays on (and never goes off) with key out and door open. However, I'm not experiencing any of the other issues discussed. Door ajar light & chime works with every door, windows don't have power after door is opened, nor does the sunroof. The dome light comes on for a few minutes with any door opened (closed).

This seems isolated to the stereo (and clock).

I inspected the violet splice as described and it has an appropriate shrinkwrap seal, not hockey tape (previuos repair maybe??). The lower channel did have water but I have found no corrosion in any wire.

Odd thing, my stereo was off when I parked two days ago (went off when I opened the door). I went out to the driveway this AM and heard it playing. Daughter said it wasn't on when she went to school at 07:30 but at 10:30 (when I went out), it was on. So, it turned on by itself sometime between 7:30 and 10:30. It was raining two days ago but not yesterday or today.

Thoughts??

Old 12-20-2012, 04:53 PM
Beuller? Bueller?? Anyone?

Well, manually turned off the stereo but apparently the power draw is significant. Battery was so dead this morning that I couldn't even unlock the doors with the remote. Hooked up the charger for a couple of hours and although the truck starts and runs fine, the stereo still remains on when it shouldn't.

Any suggestions???

Old 12-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Did you pull the radio fuse to try and reset it?

Old 12-23-2012, 05:15 PM
Yep. Pulled fuse 31, reinstalled and no change. In fact, its the only way I can prevent the radio from getting power. So for the moment, Ihave to leave it out until I figur this out.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:19 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
My brothers 2010 did this right after he bought it new. Only was fixed after some **** totalled it and he bought a 2012 lol

Old 12-23-2012, 07:41 PM
Appreciate the comment but is that a serious suggestion??

Old 12-23-2012, 09:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by lowflyer
Yep. Pulled fuse 31, reinstalled and no change. In fact, its the only way I can prevent the radio from getting power. So for the moment, Ihave to leave it out until I figur this out.
If you've verified its not the purple/violet wire splice the only other thing I can think of you checking is the drivers door latch switch....there may be something funky going on with it....or the wires that are in the door jamb connection...

Last edited by 88racing; 12-23-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:11 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
It's a legit story but my point is the dealer couldn't even figure it out. They could never replicate it naturally

Old 12-24-2012, 10:48 AM
You need to check underneath the shrink wrap. The corrosion will not always show up on the outside of the wrapping. My power mirror went out after the radio thing. I would not waste your money taking it to dealership unless they are willing to listen to you about these posts. They will charge you a week of labor and not fix the problem, only reason for extended warranty is worth a darn. If you have a good mechanic they may listen and get it done in short order by reviewing the posts here and looking for the corroded splices.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:33 PM
Thanks guys. I'll check the driver's door latch and remove the shrink wrap on the violet splice to double check that connection. I don't have a great deal of confidence though because everything else associated with this circuit is working as advertised. Door ajar light & chime, windows, sunroof, dome & courtesy lights, sliding window, etc. all work until I open the door. Then they stop working but the radio stays on.

I hate to rely on the stealership because I have even less confidence in their ability but does anyone know if they have a diagnostic tool for the generic electrical systems?

Old 12-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Ok, removed the heat shrink from the violet splice and the wires underneath were bright, shiny, and clean with good continuity. Checked the door latch (operation) and its good to go and deactivates all other systems as it should.

Problem remains.

Thoughts??

Old 12-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Update: OK, I ended up pulling the passenger front sill plate, front molding, and wire bundle (checking the orange wire splice mentioned in an earlier post). It was good. So, while I had access to the Central Junction Box I decided to pull each connector to check for corrosion. Didn't see any obvious corrosion or issues but after reconnecting the conectors, it started working as it should.

So, it's fixed (sort of) for now. I have no idea what 'fixed' it but being as it's Christmas Eve, maybe I was just 'good' this year. Good an explanation as anything else...

All this said, thanks to all who've played this thread and I wish you all a Merry Christmas. Tomorrow the real work begins (assembling toys, mounting TVs, programming electronics, etc.). After all, Christmas is the busiest day of the year for fathers.

Merry Christmas everyone! And have a safe holiday season...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 04 F150 - Radio stays on after key removed & door open