Old 04-13-2015, 06:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
04 F150 - Radio stays on after key removed & door open
http://www.f150online.com/forums/ele...door-open.html

ISSUE
Radio continues to play even while the door is opened. This could be symptomatic of the accessory delay relay stuck in on or this could be the fault of corroded wiring.

Read below for the full discussion…
Print Wikipost

04 F150 - Radio stays on after key removed & door open

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 10:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want to thank you for the fix to my problem. Had extended warranty so took it to the dealer. I told them about the fix found here when I dropped the truck off but they still took four days until I blew my top and told them to remove the sill and look for the purple wire. Their response was to change out everything else that was listed in here. Guess what did not fix the problem.They found it in five minutes. Next time I will definitely look here first. The best mechanic my family ever had moved to Florida. Now I am at the mercy of the mentally challenged unless I do it my self. This site definitely empowers those of us on the fence to do it ourselves. Thanks

Old 10-21-2010, 04:36 PM
I want to thank all for the info. I have pics of the purple/violet wired with black cloth tape which also had carosion under sepperating the three wires on my 2004 F150 sup. crewone inch from rear C pilarway under the other 60 wires. Its very nice to have dome light, radio, chimes, door adjar light,all functioning properly again. Found this site yesterday, fixed wire today. I will be going to work Friday ( @ FORD Assembly Mn.) and tell them to tell their dealers about this issue. I have been working on and offf this for a year!

Old 11-10-2010, 06:30 PM
It Worked!!!

So, after about an hour of looking in the wrong place where the purple wires connect, I finally figured out where I needed to be looking, which was on the driver's rear door, I found the issue. Someone tried to fix this issue before, but with obvious, no luck. They neglected to look another 6 inches on the purple lines, to the front of the truck, where the wires were bubbled up from corrosion, I just recently bought the truck used. I cut the lines clearly past the corrosion points and re-made the but connections with shrink tubing and all worked perfectly. My no data issues were solved, my radio finally turns off when the door opens, my automatic lights turn on and off when supposed to, the lights turn on when I open the doors!!! There is a God!!!

2004 Ford F-150 Lariat SuperCrew 5.4L Triton

Old 01-19-2011, 01:34 PM
Just had this happen to me today too, rainy wet and snowy weather all weekend must have triggered it. Took out the rear door sill and sure enough as soon as I touched the hockey tape on the violet wires they snapped apart, guess i'll be waiting for the weather to clear up and re-splice it properly. Thanks guys!

Old 01-23-2011, 07:27 PM
I am so thankful for all the knowledgeable guys on here and the time they take to post their findings. Imagine my frustration having experienced this issue ONE day after replacing the driver's side power heated mirror some hit and run driver busted off as well as fixing a bad headlamp switch wire under the dash. I was certain we'd jacked something up somewhere and was going crazy till I sat down and pulled up the trusty F150 forums.

I had the same symptoms as everyone else with my 2004 SuperCrew Lariat...radio stayed on after any door was opened, no door ajar warning lamp or tone, no interior light when opening a closed door, auto-lamp delay data error, auto-lock data error, and no power seat memory. The power seat memory thing still puzzles me. Do they think we're going to be setting our most comfortable butt position with going down the road with the door open? They aren't at all concerned with the fact you can adjust the power pedal position with the truck in drive. I'm surprised there haven't been more "oops" moments due to that.

Like others, my splicing special was located in the bundle of wires, under the rear driver's door sill plate, just before they went up behind the panel. I wonder if there was some last second design change in the wiring schema. I just can't fathom whey they would splice in the middle of the wiring loom like that and use that hockey stick tape on top of it. Seriously couldn't they have used electrical tape? I think the fact it had been corroding away coupled with the fact I was in a heated garage for one day doing the repairs, then back out into near zero temps finally did it in.

Finally, I like others, had water in that wiring raceway due to the cheap paper-thin gasket around the center high-mounted light that had disintegrated. She's all sealed up with silicone now. Good thing to check if you're having this issue.

Last edited by biggdog; 01-23-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are quite a few turning up now with this problem. I'm wondering if any who have had the problem with the splice in the purple wires have had a DRY channel where the wires go (meaning has never had water intrusion)? The reason I ask is because there are definitely adhesives that are CORROSIVE. I realize most have had water intrusion but since the tape is a different type of tape (one more likely to be corrosive than electrical tape, which I've never seen corrosive), and since the wiring used in vehicles in recent history is a different type of copper than used in the past, I'm wondering if it's more than JUST the water.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:57 PM
urk
I have 2004 Supercab Fx4 and have the same problem all you have....I have been looking through wires for several hours and have not found a solid purple 2:1 splice....I found 1 purple running from behind the rear seats and another that comes across the floor near the middle of the cab and into the driver side sill with all the other wires...i follow them as far as I can and have not found where the splice is...any help or suggestions would be great!

Old 02-14-2011, 04:25 AM
Originally Posted by urk
I have 2004 Supercab Fx4 and have the same problem all you have....I have been looking through wires for several hours and have not found a solid purple 2:1 splice....I found 1 purple running from behind the rear seats and another that comes across the floor near the middle of the cab and into the driver side sill with all the other wires...i follow them as far as I can and have not found where the splice is...any help or suggestions would be great!
Unless you have different luck than I had (tore the loom apart and looked over 2 or 3 days till I was totally blue in the face and I am convinced that the S. Cabs don't have that 2 to 1 purple wire). Have no idea why they would be different than a Screw but I found the same thing that you did. I completely unwrapped ALL the loom from the "A" pillar to the BSM and even up the "C" pillar and even looked under the carpet as far as I could see where the loom crosses behind the drivers seat. That same 2 to 1 purple doesn't exist! The ONLY wire I found with the "hockey tape" was going up the "C" pillar about half way, and was 2 Blk/Blu stripe into 1 of the same.

(More to follow)

Old 02-18-2011, 12:10 AM
urk
Today I was trying to figure the problem out again...and i gave up on the purple wire...I was looking at the latch on the door and when i pull the door handle to release my door the latch does not release fully there for not triggering the sensor..but when i press the latch down further with my finger my truck senses the open door and shuts off the radio and turns on interior lights..i blew it out with air and sprayed it with WD40 and still no such luck..i will remove the door panel and and clean it out better tomo....So Code58 check your door latch and maybe you have the same problem as me

Old 02-18-2011, 03:42 AM
Originally Posted by urk
Today I was trying to figure the problem out again...and i gave up on the purple wire...I was looking at the latch on the door and when i pull the door handle to release my door the latch does not release fully there for not triggering the sensor..but when i press the latch down further with my finger my truck senses the open door and shuts off the radio and turns on interior lights..i blew it out with air and sprayed it with WD40 and still no such luck..i will remove the door panel and and clean it out better tomo....So Code58 check your door latch and maybe you have the same problem as me
Thanks for the tip. I don't think that is my problem though. Mine has been manifested in about 2 dozen different ways at least, in many many different COMBINATIONS at different times. It's almost for certain in the cluster. Just finished putting it back together (the cluster) for the 4th time tonight and absolutely no trace of anything visually wrong. This time I tore it down as far as you could possible tear it down without unsoldering anything. Looked for about 1 1/2 hours with a lighted 10 power magnifying headgear. i did discover that the LCD odometer window IS lighted by a small bulb and the LCD odometer CAN easily be replaced, if it is bad, just have to probably buy the LCD from a speedometer repair, because I doubt the dealer services anything but a full cluster. It does have to be torn COMPLETELY down to replace the LCD, but once you know how, it's actually not that bad. The "board" has a great big square chip on the inside of the cluster. No wonder everything but you plane reservations go through that thing!

Old 04-06-2011, 03:31 AM
2007 F150 XLT super crew Electrical issues

Problem with the truck over heating.. wasn't the case when the over temp gauge peaked and the truck stuttered to a stall.. after leaving the vehicle over night then starting it cold the next day, right away, the over temp gauge peaked.. then the engine light came on.. stumbled across a temporary fix for the over temp by shutting the engine off.. opening the driver side door and shutting it.. then starting the engine.... all seemed normal with the gauge.. but the engine light stayed on.. I had noticed the radio didn't work after I had the truck looked at by a garage.. they ran a scan on the truck and found 4 error codes.
P0119 ECT sensor 1 circut
P1000 drive cycle not complete
P1285 cyl head over temp
P1299 SAE engine over temp

So the over temp gauge seemed to stop acting up.. and I noticed when I put a cd in the radio, the engine light went off.. so now the temp gauge is fine.. no engine trouble light.. and my Battery cannot keep a charge.. BTW this is a new battery.. I had issues with the old one not keeping a charge and replaced it.. So I guess I would like to say it got worse when I put in a new recharged battery...

Weather was dry for days when this all happen.. but I did notice before I had serious battery drainage and error issues.. when it rained the battery life seemed to diminish to the point where I could not start the truck.. and only on wet days did I have this issue..

Thinking I don't want to pull the whole truck apart looking for the illusive green corroded wire.. So upon seeking related ford electrical issues on a search engine..I stumbled across this site seeing other ppl with issues relating to the fords electrical problems.. My question would be, has some one encountered this issue, and is this a well known problem with these trucks.. I was a Chev guy before 2007.. I drove that Chev for over 12 years before I ran into any problems with it..

So what I am going to do now.. is run the truck without the fuse for the radio.. see if it keeps a charge.. then mirror and window fuse.. lighter fuse.. and to add the very odd time I would get a jolt upon exiting the vehicle. So, any input will be greatly appreciated in this matter..

Last edited by Smite; 04-06-2011 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Added to the issues
Old 08-17-2011, 10:52 AM
2004 f150 lariat crew

Originally Posted by FattyBogora
I finally fixed the problem today. I found the bad splice in the wire, fixed it and now my radio shuts off when I open the door...and I don't have the data error anymore. Oh ya, and my power seats memory function works again.

FYI: The wire is Violet and is located on the driver's side wire bundler, right before the bundle goes into the rear pillar area. I took a picture if anyone is interested...
I'm having the same issue radio stays on interior lights don't come on when doors opened and power seat memory not working.Could you please e-mail the picture you took.

Thanks
Hamilton

Old 08-17-2011, 11:17 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hamilton
I'm having the same issue radio stays on interior lights don't come on when doors opened and power seat memory not working.Could you please e-mail the picture you took.

Thanks
Hamilton
did you check the other thread linked up a few posts ?

https://www.f150online.com/forums/el...ical-help.html

Post #17 in this thread shows the Std Cab & SuperCrew splice locations.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:23 PM
2004 f150 screw

Originally Posted by redragon
i Fixed the problem as well theres a violet wire and a purple wire thaqt spice into a violet wire near the back of the rear sill plate on the drivers side its just taped up with the hockey type tape????? wich is why theres a problem all the water soaks up and sits there but ya so loads of corrosion cleaned it up works like a charm!!!![/IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Josh/My%20Documents/Josh's%20camera%20pics/100_00834.JPG[/IMG]
I have the same problem.If you have pictures of wire location could you e-mail them to me.
mchart@xplornet.com

Old 09-18-2011, 11:41 PM
I just joined the club!!!! I am a psychiatric counselor so I can say I love you guys!!! You all helped me find that stupid wire. My truck works again!!! I don't know how to thank you all enough. I read about the viper auto start"I have one" and thought I was screwed. My violet wire was in the far back driver side rear seat with hockey tape. Cut it out put new wire in and God spoke to my truck. Thanks all of you!!!! pglm2003

'

Quick Reply: 04 F150 - Radio stays on after key removed & door open