Old 04-13-2015, 06:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
04 F150 - Radio stays on after key removed & door open
http://www.f150online.com/forums/ele...door-open.html

ISSUE
Radio continues to play even while the door is opened. This could be symptomatic of the accessory delay relay stuck in on or this could be the fault of corroded wiring.

Read below for the full discussion…
Print Wikipost

04 F150 - Radio stays on after key removed & door open

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 12:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still have the radio staying on with the keys out of the ignition. No purple or violet wires have been discovered to be bad. However, today I found a tape splice 8 inches below the fuse panel, with 3 orange wires with a green tracers. After pulling fuses one at a time, i discovered that the cct in question was for the power mirrors( slot # 3). With the fuse removed, the mirrors still work fine. With the orange wires apart, the radio works as it should, with the 10 minute delay intact. I cant put into words on this forum how i feel about Ford. Of course all this took place less than 1000 miles afetr the stock warranty expired. Bail them out? No way!!

Old 04-29-2009, 10:08 PM
Ok.... so after pulling the floor panel off and going through every inch of that purple wire, I didn't find any defects anywhere. On top of that, I didn't find any indication of water leakage or corrosion that others have noticed either. I can only assume this is because I have a super cab, while everyone else who mentions wire splices seem to be driving super crews. All things being equal, I can only assume the problem lies with the door sensor switch itself, which I will be pulling and testing in a few minutes. If that does turn out to be the problem, I'm going to kick myself for wasting 2+ hours going through every inch of that wire bundle, and then putting it back together again. After that ordeal, my hat is off to the guys who have to routinely check the wire bundles onboard commercial airliners.

Last edited by JohnnyCashAK; 04-29-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:50 PM
Windows, Door lock, mirror, radio... UGH!

I'm having a similar problem.

I first noticed my window controls stopped working. After checking, my door locks and mirror controls also wouldn't work.

The stereo didn't shut off after taking the key out and opening the door.

I have an 06 F150 (5.4 crew), and a dealer-installed CodeAlarm remote start option.

It's in the shop right now.. but curious if anyone else has had these symptoms.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:03 PM
Hi All, First post here and I have to say I am psyched to post it!! I searched for this forum this afternoon and joined just to find an answer for this nagging problem. Low and behold, I come across a thread with all the issues I was having...and a FIX! I am not going to describe the problems since so many of you already know. Well...I WAS having the problem! I found the 2 purple wires under the rear sill (almost to the back seat rear pillar) spliced to a single wire wrapped in black "hockey" tape..made a new waterproof connection....and Voilà!!! Fixed the corroded splice and now its as good as new. I can't tell you how happy I am (and my wife) that its fixed and many thanks to those who found the solution. Way to go and thanks again. Shrevmo

Old 09-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Problem Resolved

I have pictures if you need them. The splice is in the rear sill driver's side, just before all cables goes inside the pilar. There is a lot of water in that area. I had to make some small holes to drain it.

Now I have to find out how to fix the cruise control issue.

Thank you all!

Old 09-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Red face Thanks!!

I found the corroded join between the two solid violet wires going to one. I almost "gave up" because the join was almost inside the rear pillar (04 super crew). Anyways! THANKS SO MUCH for the input. I had visions of $1000 at Ford in "trouble shooting".

Old 10-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Smile

Found mine in the rear pillar! Drove in rain all weekend long....Monday problem began. Today fixed!

Thank You guys!!

Saved me a ton of coin!

Old 11-28-2009, 04:57 PM
OK, I have all these problems and more! Alarm going off at 2am (after market dealer installed). Locking the door and it immediately unlocks by itself. Headlights coming on by themselves. Interior dome light coming on whenever. Exterior dome light glowing on and off.

The dealer said it was the computer control panel behind the rear seats. They said that the exterior dome light was leaking water behind the seat. So they changed the light unit and dried out the panel. Worked great for 3 days then the alarm goes off in the middle of the night again. So back to the shop. The exterior dome light was full of moisture again. Frustrating! What can I do? They said that they had the same problem with others of the same year.

Very frustrated!

Old 05-04-2010, 03:06 PM
I have an 04 F150 and im having the same problem as many others with the radio staying on after the key is off. I looked for the splice of the purple wires coming together but couldnt locate a problem. most of the trucks taled about are super crews, I only have a crew cab. Im worried that the splice is actually inside the rear pillar? Any help is appriciated

Old 05-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by md238205
I have an 04 F150 and im having the same problem as many others with the radio staying on after the key is off. I looked for the splice of the purple wires coming together but couldnt locate a problem. most of the trucks taled about are super crews, I only have a crew cab. Im worried that the splice is actually inside the rear pillar? Any help is appriciated
If you take a read of the thread, the other colors people had splice issues with :

Light Blue w/ Brown stripe
Blue w/ White stripe.

Best to redo all the splices. If the splice is up the C-pillar, remove the cover and go looking for it.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:55 AM
My problem was actually a short in the wiring going from the truck body to the door. When this happened, I also noticed I was having intermittent problems with my power windows and door locks.

Good luck!

Old 07-09-2010, 10:53 PM
Hey guys. This thread seems a little old but maybe someone can still help. I have a 04 supercrew with the same problems. I found this thread from a google search so I looked in the wiring by the rear C pillar. I found the corroded violet wires and one additional wire that affected my backup sensors. I repaired those wires and only the backup sensors were fixed. I am still having the same issues. I called the two local ford dealers in my area and spoke with the service managers. They had never heard of this problem and didn't have a clue how to fix it. I am aprehensive to bring it to the dealer because we may just throw parts at it. Any other suggestions or comments would be appreciated thanks.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I called the two local ford dealers in my area and spoke with the service managers. They had never heard of this problem and didn't have a clue how to fix it. I am aprehensive to bring it to the dealer because they may just throw parts at it. Any other suggestions or comments would be appreciated thanks.
Smart man!!!

Old 07-10-2010, 05:14 AM
I have had the water in the door sill problem also, if you look there are two drain plugs underneath in your sills, all you have to do is reach under and pop the rubber plugs out to drain the channel. If you are having water in there, then you probably have a leaky gasket under your third brake light. pull your third brake light and replace that gasket. I used thicker stuff from lowes instead of buying the thin one from ford. When the channel is drained pop the plugs back in the holes, if you drill new holes, every time you drive in the rain, sand and debris is going to find it's way into these holes, and before you know it they will be clogged and then you will get rust. If your third brake light doesn't leak you should not get any water in the channel, unless you submerge the truck in a pond or something.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:51 AM
I pulled the rear seat back yesterday and to my surprise everything started working. I must have touched something or pushed on something to make it start to work. I assume it's some wiring either in the LH C pillar or the VCM ground wire. I'll know today.

Quick Reply: 04 F150 - Radio stays on after key removed & door open