Old 04-13-2015, 06:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
04 F150 - Radio stays on after key removed & door open
http://www.f150online.com/forums/ele...door-open.html

ISSUE
Radio continues to play even while the door is opened. This could be symptomatic of the accessory delay relay stuck in on or this could be the fault of corroded wiring.

Read below for the full discussion…
Print Wikipost

04 F150 - Radio stays on after key removed & door open

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't see the picture...Please e-mail it to me

aero_octaveus@hotmail.com

Thanks guys!

Old 04-06-2008, 11:22 PM
Fixed!!!!

Woooohoooo, Problem solved. It was the violet wire!!. Ok, the reason that I didn't notice it before is that the wire was corroded inside the violet vinyl jacket...so at first glance the wire looks ok. However when I took a good look I notice that there was a bubble in the jacket of the violet wire. When i bent the wire at that point, it was all corroded inside. The break in the wire for me was in the wire bundle in the rear sill (Behind the drivers seat)
about 6" ahead of the rear back seat pillar. (oh, my viper command start doesn't work though, but thats most likely a whole different issue)

Thanks for all your help everyone!

Old 04-18-2008, 11:06 PM
Thumbs up Another Fix!

I found the splice with the purple/violet wires was the problem also. On my truck the splice was all the way back under the back pillar on the driver side. There was a lot of corrosion. We cleaned it up and respliced it. Worked like a charm. Thanks for the advice!

Old 05-04-2008, 10:36 PM
My Wiring Problem Update

I found a baby blue wire with brown stripes, near the forward area, was a problem. Rusty, hard corroded. I cut and spliced. This only repaired my electric seat programmable memory. This was not working. So....I guess there are more wires that I need to find, that are problems. There must be about 75 wires in that area! My radio still stays on and "data error" shown on computer for auto locks and head lamp delay settings. Here is a photo of the area where I found the one problem wire in my 2004 F-150 Lariat. Canadian model with DvD system.

Last edited by keithb7; 05-04-2008 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Photo
Old 01-02-2009, 07:36 PM
picture

Havin this exact same problem in my 04SCL. To get to this wire splice, does the middle pillar need to be removed, or can you access from just lifting the sills?

Old 01-02-2009, 09:41 PM
Headlights won't turn off; instrument panel won't illuminate

hi all. am new to forum, and couldn't find this answer. actually, couldn't figure out how to post apart from replying to another post. in any case, my '99 ford f-150 had two things occur simultaneously: instrument panel is no longer lighting up, and when i turn off the key, the headlights won't turn off. i've had to pull the headlight fuse to turn off headlights. are these two problems related? is there a switch involved? a relay? if so, where are they located?

the first day this happened, i jiggled the foglight switch on the truck, and it shut off the headlights, but that doesn't work anymore. if someone has a simple solution for me, in simple language, i'd appreciate it.

thx!

Old 01-02-2009, 11:08 PM
WOOOO FRIGGIN HOOO! I have had the problem for about 8 months now and posted it then asking for help. I got some great ideas, but nothing seemd to work. Well, after reading this and pulling the wires out I found the broken violet wire. Spliced a new wire in and everything works. I had the EXACT problem the rest on here have had.

Ford, for what ever reason, decided to use a different type of weather proofing splice on this wire. All the others are proper with the glue that oozes out when heated to make a true water proof seal. This one was like someone else said, like hockey stick tape. Mine was right at the rear of the cab (S-crew) almost at the point where I could not get at it without removing the seat. I think it is in different places on all trucks.

Cause....water and a bad splice material. But, why so much water, where is it coming from? Coould it be coming from the 3rd brake light? There was water from the front to the back in that wire trough (sp?)

I even bought a used VSM from a wrecker because I figured it was that, but no. Luckily I was able to return it for a full refund ($100).

I can't explain how happy, glad, excited, etc. that this is fixed. Now I have to get the wires all retaped and put back in, that will not be fun. Thanks again to this site, great info.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:57 PM
I actually found the purple wire splice under the driver side rear sill plate. My splice is right under the rear pillar and it was corroded. I re-spliced the wire, soldered the splice and re-taped all the wires. Everything works perfect now. This must be a common problem, so many people have done this fix.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:08 PM
I am having the same problem that everyone else seems to be having. I really want to fix this problem by looking through the wires and replacing the corroded ones, but 1. i am not sure what gauge/type of wire to use and 2. how exactly to splice the wire / how difficult this job is. I'm just a 22 year old kid and dont want to royally screw anything up. any tips would be appreciated. thanks

Old 01-10-2009, 06:26 PM
I've got the same radio problem. It kills the battery dead overnight. How does one remove the middle pillar plastic to get at the wiring? All looked ok towards the e-brake.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:13 PM
I have a 2004 F150 Super Crew and also recently had problem with the radio and heater moter staying on when ignition was off and also gauge lights flickering and 'check guage' coming on. Did the usual things linke spray WD40 in the latchs etc. Then I read this thread last week and checked the driver side sills.

- The front seat drivers side wires looked good and no mosture in the plastic channel they sit in, still i put duct tape across the top of the plasic panel before i put the trim back on to help protect from water.

- I then check the rear seat drivers side sill, and oh boy there was an issue. I live in New England and its been very cold up here. When I looked at the wiring half the wiring bundle was lodged in a block of ice, including the imfamous Black spliced wire. Seems that water had been coming in and settling in the metal well when we had a rain storm a week ago, when I had the most problems with the cluster and the truck not starting one morning. Then, it got cold and the water turned to ice and my problem did not happen as much. My sollution:

- Chopped up and removed all the ice and used a hair dryer to melt any hidden ice up in the pillar and completly dry the wires.

- Drilled about six 1/4 inch holes though out the metal well so any water that comes into the well gets immediaty drained to the ground.

- Sealed the entire wire bundle with duck tape a few times making sure the black spliced wire was on top.

so the Truck seems fine now, I will let you know if it acts up. Seems to me that this is a design flaw with these later model f150's. Ford should have done a few things different, my suggestions:

- Water leaking into the trucks drivers side seems to be a common issue, fix the flaw that is allowing these leak to happen.

- There is a black plastic channel that sits slightly above the well on the front door part this channel stops at the rear door part and wire bundle droops into the metal well, the plastic channel should have gone all the way to the pillar so that if water gets in the well it would have to fill above the plastic channel to get at the wires

- Drain holes in the metal well (screened or other wise) !!!!!!!!!!!!!! (this part you can easily do yourself, but still...)

- No wire splicing or wire connectors in the well at all !!! they should go anywhere above the lowest part where water or mosture could short them, Should just be straight runs of well insulated wire.

Last edited by fleetlord; 01-13-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Thanks for this thread.....

Everyone,

Thanks for this thread.....my problem was fixed easily by finding the two purple wires that were spliced into one purple wire just as the wiring bundle ascends into the rear pillar.

Kudos to the guy who figured this one out!

Thanks again.

Brian Shury
Cavan, Ontario

Old 02-16-2009, 08:24 PM
I have been having the radio issue too. i shut the engine off and open the door.....the radio is still on. it looks like someone found the fix! My questions is this. How do you remove the side pillar in the supercrews? I have a 2004 Screw lariat.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:10 PM
I found another problem today....my left blinker stalls when I apply the brake. The right blinker works as it should. Anyone know how I can diagnose these issues??????

Old 02-22-2009, 08:19 PM
I have the same problem radio stays on for a bit after key is removed and I open the door. Dome light doesn t come on and data error message. I also don t get a door ajar display for a open door. I looked for the purple wire splice but was unsuccessful. Can some one point me in the right direction as of exact color purple or purple and a tracer color. where is it exactly located. Any input or pictures would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Brian

Quick Reply: 04 F150 - Radio stays on after key removed & door open