parking lights are turning on by themselves.....need help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
parking lights are turning on by themselves.....need help.

today, while I was at work the wife called that my trucks parking lights were on. When she went to investigate further, she found the radio and a/c also on inside the cab. When I got home the lights were off but the radio and a/c were still on. I unplugged the battery for a few minutes to reset the computer but its still doing the same thing. The lights haven't come on but the interior is behaving as if my key were in the ignition. I don't think this is the same situation as the door ajar sticky.

I left the battery unplugged for overnight.

Any suggestions what this might be?

Old 05-30-2009, 10:11 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Have you had a lot of rain as of late ?

Check the floor for wet carpet, up high on the firewall, to the area where the carpet ends. Might have to feel around.

The reason I ask this, it sounds like you have a leaking windshield, and the GEM ( attached to the back of the cab fuse panel or CJB / Central Junction Box ) is getting wet.

Take a look in that area, you might also see rust on the floor / firewall area ( more then minor surface rust from the manufacturing process ).

Old 05-30-2009, 10:49 AM
We have had 15 consecutive days of rain in south florida. I would of never thought of this. I will check it out today. If this is the case, is there anything I should do to correct the problem right away, besides looking for the leak. Also is there a potential bigger electrical problem associated with this?

Old 05-30-2009, 11:03 AM
lets make it 16days straight of rain

Well I connected the battery back today and although nothing turned on until I put the key in the ignition, I'm getting a lot of clicking sounds coming from the electrical system that is underneath the dash by the center hump. It started to rain again, so I unplugged the battery again and I will check it again later.

The floorboard may be a little damp, but not wet. I will check right after the rain to see if there is a leak.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:09 AM

It should not be damp back there.

If you have a tarp, toss it over the cab, so water cannot get to the lower left hand corner of the windshield. Pretty much taping the whole cab.

You would need to dry it out, so that will take some time, and it still might not be 100%. The GEM is bolted to the back of the cab's fuse panel. What you are having is intermittent connections to the GEM that control stuff like the windshield wipers, the accy delay, etc. If you take the tiem to pull the CJB / GEM, unbolt it you will see corrosion on the pins where the GEM plugs into the back of the CJB.

Best bet is to have the windshield pulled, and resealed to the truck again. This is a lack of sealant in the lower left hand corner of the truck.
Some have posted when the windshield is pulled, there is a route where dirty water has been running into the truck.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:04 PM
SSCULLY, THanks for the info on the CJB I would of never known that something like this could be going on. I wonder if I pull the unit out, is there a spray that I could put on it to protect it from the moisture. Maybe a Marine electrical component spray of some sort. If this is a concern only during these days of heavy rainfall, pulling the windshield out is something I'd like to avoid.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:10 AM

It is going to get worse, to the point where the strange behavior will not correct itself even when dry ( too much corrosion on the pins between them ).

Any glass shop should be able to pull and reset the windshield for a low cost compared to the CJB/GEM replacement.

Pulling the CJB / GEM combo is a labor intensive process, I am thinking some of the quote from dealers where in the 500.00 range for this ( plus parts, they R&R they will not clean it ).

Old 05-31-2009, 11:32 AM
Yeah,I guess that makes sense. I just really wanna make sure that's the problem before I do anything. I will keep an eye on the carpet and rainfall in the next few days.

thanks again

Quick Reply: parking lights are turning on by themselves.....need help.