cruise into non cruise truck????

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cruise into non cruise truck????

wanting to put cruise into a non cruise truck. apperantly on ebay tere is a guy selling factory cruise, easy as adding switchs on wheel and having it aactivated by the dealer

is it really that easy yes/no
thanks
jimmyb.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Depends on what year your truck is. Add the specs to your profile so it shows at the top R of your post, like mine. Use your signature to add even more.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:49 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
You need to understand the whole opertion before deciding to do the project.
I don't think the PCM needs any program alterations if the cruise control is stand alone.
However, you need all the parts from a simular truck.
Control switches.
Servo.
Brake switch connection etc.
Cable.
OSS or VSS reference speed sensor and wiring to be sure you have it all.
It can be done but do the home work first.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:39 PM
sorry about that, my truck is a 2004 f150 2wd. My friend which is a mechanic at out local ford dealer for 27 yrs now. said that the cruise servo is under the hood and the clock switch in the steering wheel is the same as if it had the cruise buttons. But no one there is 100% sure if it is that easy....thay have never done one before.

thanks
Jimmyb

Old 02-10-2007, 07:03 AM
The answer is yes. A simple change of steering wheel is all the parts that need to be changed. Then, the dealership has to address the computer to tell it to activate the cruise. Ford sells, or did sell, a steering wheel "kit" to do exactly this. I had it done on mine, a 04 XL that was not factory equipped.

You should know one thing though, the replacement wheel comes in black only. No other options. And, if your truck is a very early model like mine, the computer has to be reflashed to accept the cruise. I just took my truck to my dealer and told them to "Make It So". About and hour and a half later, and around 200 bucks poorer, I had cruise. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

When to 04's first came out, there was a lot of discussion about this very thing. I don't know it messages are archived that long on this site, but you might want to do a search.

Flagship

Old 02-10-2007, 10:54 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
With the '04+, it is just that easy, no need for a the parts that are normally associated with the '03 and older models.
There is no more throttle cable on the '04+ truck, which is why one would need a servo. The throttle is drive by wire now.
You can get the kit from Ford, the eBay one you talk about ( might be the same thing, or a pull from another truck ? ). Thing is, if you do the mechanical part, the dealer might still charge an arm and a leg to program it, resulting in an eBay part sans warranty, and the same cost. Ask your local dealer first, before bidding on the eBay part.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:26 PM
thanks guys, thats the answer i was looking for. The dealer does still sell the kit which would actually be cheaper to buy here than to buy from ebay for $149usd

thanks again
i love these forums for info

JimmyB.

Quick Reply: cruise into non cruise truck????