2004 F150 Key fob won't program

Old 12-26-2006, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 F150 Key fob won't program

Just bought a 2004 F150 Fx4 with remote entry. Unfortunately, I did not get any of the key fobs. We ordered a new key fob on line, but I am unable to program. When I try to do the programming instructions, the computer won't go into programming mode(ie the lock,unlock of the doors when it is ready to accept). I even had a guy that works for Licoln Mercury (mechanic) try, and he got no response. What does this mean? Is there to many key fobs already programmed? I haven't removed the rear seat to to get the code for the remote door pad yet either. Any idea's?

Old 12-26-2006, 11:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure why it won't enter the program mode. When you cycle the ignition to the program mode to program/add remotes any and all remotes that you want to have working must be present. So I don't thing it matters if 6 were already used, when you enter the program mode it clears all remotes and you start fresh when the ones you reprogram at that time. I would say your not doing it right, but if a ford mechanic tried with no success that would have me confused. Try another dealer, good luck with it.

Old 12-26-2006, 12:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2 thoughts :

1. When I added an additional fob to my 2001, it took me a few times to get the time sequence correct to go into programming mode. The times in the manual were a bit optimistic. If the maxium of 4 was reached, as whitecrystal1 mentioned, they are all erased upon entering programming mode.

Unlock all doors using the power door lock/unlockcontrol
Insert key and turn the ignitionfrom the 1(OFF/LOCK) to the 3(ON) position and cycle between 1(OFF/LOCK) and 3(ON) eight times in rapid succession (within 10 seconds) with the eighth turn ending in the 3(ON) position.
The locks will cycle to confirm that the programming mode has be enentered.
I found that the 10 Seconds to complete this is a bit long, and it is more like 8 seconds.
-> Try again, really hauling through the cycles, ending in the On position. I felt like my 2001 was more like 6 to 8 seconds, to give you an idea of how fast I had to do it.

2. What is the trim level of the truck ?
2.1. Is the RKE a factory option, or after market like a Code Alarm, which looks like the Ford RKE, but could be a different programming button.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 F150 Key fob won't program