Wipers don't always work!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2002, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wipers don't always work!

I've searched this forum and read about "intermittent wiper" problems, but what I didn't find is my problem: intermittent "wiper problems".

Occasionally, about 10% of the time, my wipers will not work. Not on any intermittent setting, not on normal, not on fast. Nor will the winshield washers work. If I leave the switch on any setting, they will eventually turn on; sometimes if I hit a bump, sometimes if I'm at a red light. They seem to turn on within 10 minutes or so.

Once, I had them suddenly quit on me, while in intermittent mode. They would not start up until 10 minutes later, then all worked fine.

Of course, the wipers are always working when I come home, so troubleshooting has been a problem. I pulled the cowling off and examined the wiring harness to the wiper control/motor and wiggled it around a bunch, but could not get the wipers to stop.

I don't know where to start - should I work from the switch, or from the motor? Are there any trouble spots I should check first? RainX works great, but I've gotta get this fixed before the snow flies! Any input would be appreciated.

Stosh

Old 10-03-2002, 01:41 PM
check the fuse and make sure...

that it's in tight...in the past there has been disscussions about the wires getting pinched in the column behind the sterring wheel...you might have it checked out

Old 10-19-2002, 09:45 AM
You know, I kinda laughed at your reply about the fuses, thinking "duh, of course I checked the fuse first!".

Well, it ends up that the problem DID lie with the fuse! While I was under the steering column wiggling wires, I opened up the fuse box panel and started playing around, and found I could make a little spark by wiggling the fuse.

Apparently, the clip in the fuse block is deformed, and doesn't hold the fuse tight. Bending the fuse tabs a little (one up, one down) and replacing it has fixed the problem!

Thanks for the tip - I'm sure a trip to the dealer would have incurred the expense of a fuse box replacement!

Stosh

Old 10-19-2002, 01:47 PM
Question Fuse Problem

I have a big problem with my 97 F-150 Lariat..Don't work the Power windows,wipers,4X4,Interior lights..When i try to turn on the Wipers dont work but i can hear a little noise in the motor....I detect one fuse that always is damage...I went with the tech and he said that i have a big electrical short but i need to pay 250 dlls to fix that plus the part.....I dont know exactly the fuse diagrams...
If some body has the fuse Config. please send to ramon_hernandezc@yahoo.com

Please advise

Baja 2002

Old 10-20-2002, 06:32 PM
Yes, Stosh, the dealer, (if they knew what they were doing), WOULD recommend you replace the fuse box assembly.
That would be the proper Repair procedure, rather than tweaking a fuse to work for now.

Seen THAT same concern come into the shop month after month after month.

Someone, either customers, previous owners, accessory add on people in a hurry, no matter, anyway, they trash the fuse connectors, (which admittedly, are twinky from the onstart), and further down the road, (sometimes shorter length then you would think), the vehicle has electrical accessories that don't operate, or are an intermittent concern.

It will come back to haunt you........guaranteed.

My .002

Old 05-18-2006, 07:43 AM
3-1/2 years and 87K miles later, still no problems!

Old 07-25-2006, 08:25 PM
wipers

my wipers dont work at all fuse ie good relays are good could someone tell me what problem might be or what to look for and where

Last edited by lroseman; 07-25-2006 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
grounds..grounds..grounds

the rubber "washers" that ford uses to dampen the wiper motor noise "gets in the way" of the ground on the motors...
try a jumper wire from the motor case to a good ground and see what happens...

...zap!

Quick Reply: Wipers don't always work!