2002 F150 4.6 Power WIndow Relay

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 10:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 F150 4.6 Power WIndow Relay

My drivers side window is not going up, I can locate a click in the fuse box Relay 4 & 5. Does anyone know if these relays control the windows? The passenger side window operates fine.

Old 07-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2002 Owners manual, page 211.

Passenger compartment fuse panel.
Relay 4 : One Touch Down Window Relay
Relay 5 : ACC Delay Relay.

Are both clicking, or just relay 4, and you are feeling the clicking on the relay 5 ?

When you try to use the driver's PW, are you just opening it, or causing the movement on the switch, to cause the one touch down to activate ?

Try the switch, but don't push the switch all the way down to the back, this would be the "normal" operation area of the switch, where it can be stopped part way down. Try this prior to getting a new relay.

Old 07-02-2006, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
2002 Owners manual, page 211.

Passenger compartment fuse panel.
Relay 4 : One Touch Down Window Relay
Relay 5 : ACC Delay Relay.

Are both clicking, or just relay 4, and you are feeling the clicking on the relay 5 ?

When you try to use the driver's PW, are you just opening it, or causing the movement on the switch, to cause the one touch down to activate ?

Try the switch, but don't push the switch all the way down to the back, this would be the "normal" operation area of the switch, where it can be stopped part way down. Try this prior to getting a new relay.
Hi SSCULLY

Thanks for the reply, just relay 4 appears to be clicking, the window is in the down position and cannot be raised. I have tried your suggestion still same outcome just a clicking in the realy 4 area. Any other thoughts?

lndbarron

Old 07-02-2006, 08:42 PM

Q1. Do the other window(s) work correctly ?

The reason I ask is, it seems that the one touch down is what is clicking, but you are trying to raise the window ( which should not be using this relay ).

This is from the 2001 EVTM, but should be the same :

Q2. Question is if you take apart the door panel where the switch is at, do you have power at the switch for the up position ?
To remove the triangle part that the switches are in, use a plastic interior tool, or a putty knife wraped in a rag ( be VERY careful using this method ) to pop up the front part of the switch cover. Then the back will pull forward I do believe.
If you want to double check this method, pull the instructions for you MY from Muth Signal mirrors, I do believe that the directions include this part :
http://www.kwmuth.com/

The switch should have power on the Light Blue w/ a black stripe going into the switch, and on the Tan w/ a light blue stripe wire leaving the switch to raise the window. Check both, as this will check the ACC delay relay for supplying power to the swtich, as well as the GEM.

HAve you had a lot of rain as of late ?

Let us know what happens with the above test points, I'll be back in later, heading out on the motorcycle for a bit more

Steve

Old 07-02-2006, 09:22 PM
Steve
The other window works fine, do you think changing the relay is the wrong course of action prior to removing the door panel?

John

Old 07-03-2006, 12:14 AM

John,

I hate to have you start swapping parts, without doing any problem diags.

If you want to chance it, and get one from AutoZone, I think the relay is smewhere in the range of 12-13.00 each. Ford dealer 19-ish ?

Checking the power with a meter, would tell you straight away if the ACC delay relay is functioning correctly and if the switch is causing the issue, rather then the relay.

Your call, there are a few questions above to aid in problem diagnoses, if you'd like to start there.

Steve

Old 07-04-2006, 09:48 PM
Steve

You won't believe this I was on my way to NAPA to inquire about the window switch and kit and relays in the event I needed to purchase them and the window started to work. Not sure what happened but the window is now functional again.

Thanks for all your input

John

Quick Reply: 2002 F150 4.6 Power WIndow Relay