instrument panel sweep

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question instrument panel sweep

I have a 99 F-150 V-6 5 speed and I have noticed over the last 6-8 months that when I start it up a second or two after the motor turns over all my gauges do a complete sweep and can't figure out why that is anybody know of any reason why the panel would do this?

Old 02-28-2006, 03:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Usually that happens after a dead battery. My dad has my '01, and the battery took a jolt with the accident, and it is questionable about holding a charge as of late. When the battery gets low, the next time the key is turned on, the gauges sweep to the full side, and then back to the normal start positon.

Might want to check your battery, to see if it need replacing, or at the very leat if you have a pile of corrosion around the battery terminals, causing a high resistance to simulate a dea battery.

This is the easiest first check, prior to diving into why the PCM thinks it is loosing power, and causing a reset.

So :
1. Check the battery voltage at rest after it has sat for what ever time you let it sit ( over night, etc ).
2. Check the terminals that they are clean, and tight.

After you get that far, if all is ok..we will have to dive into another route.

Old 03-01-2006, 08:35 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Probably a failing battery, but do check/clean/test you cables and connections first.

Steve

Quick Reply: instrument panel sweep