Fog Light Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog Light Wiring

Hey guys just installed my new grill gaurd and it looks HOT!! So now I need some fog lights for the grill gaurd!!! Wanted to know how hard it is to wire it! I want it to be on its own switch! I can't image that it is that hard!! So I can get an idea, how did you guys pull the power and where did you run the switches! Pics or any ideas would be great!!! Can't wait to get some lights on the bar!! Thanks!!!

Old 02-11-2006, 12:13 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Here is a uick diagram I did some time ago on this topic. It uses the generic Relay that can be found at any auto store.
EDIT: Change out image for a better one, deleted old one

As for what do you power the switch with ?....How do you want the driving lamps to act ?
- On with the parking lamps ?
- On with Key in Run position only ?
- On with headlamps only ?

Little more info on how you want to use the Driving / Fog lamps, and we can get you a wire to get power to the switch from.

The Driving / Fog lamp kit should have the relay and switch already, I'd think. Did it come as a kit, or did you buy 2 Driving / Fog lamps only ?

Last edited by SSCULLY; 03-20-2006 at 01:38 AM.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:22 AM
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...009212/c-10103
These are the fog lamp I'm looking at!! I want to wire it so they come on by the switch only. Don't want them linked to any of the other lights because it is not legall in NJ to have them wired to head lights or parking because I do have the Fog lights that come with the 2005 Fx4!! any ideas!! or am I over my head here!!!

Old 02-13-2006, 09:19 PM
SSCULLY I got the lights today and looks like they came wired how you showed! Now there is a red wire with a u prong & a 15amp fuse I wire that to the (+) positive terminal of the battery and then the black u prong to the frame for a ground and that should work right!?!

Thanks for the help!!

Old 02-14-2006, 09:28 AM

That sounds like it. Red to pos, Black to neg.

The what do you what them to come on with, was more so a question of what do you want to power the switch for the relay from.

If you only want the switch for the relay to have power while the parking lamps are on, or if you want the switch to have power while the key is in the run position, etc.

I would not suggest running the power lead for the switch from the battery, this would allow them to be on at any time..

Old 02-14-2006, 04:57 PM
I guess when the key is in and the truck is running!! I need them to go off though when the High Beams are on though NJ state law!!

Old 02-14-2006, 08:46 PM

Here is the diagram you would need to emulate how the factory fog / driving lamps work on the 04+ F-150.

You would need to get an auto relay, that has both the N.O. and N.C. contacts on it. ( that is the pins 87 and 87A ).

The High beams would energize the relay that the switch runs through the N.C. contacts. This would break the power to the coil ( from the switch ) on the relay that came with the driving lamps.

If you use T-Taps:
Parking lamp power is the Brown wire.
High Beams is the Light Green with a Black Stripe.

The other option is to take the high beam power from the relay inside the truck, that is also a light green with a black stripe wire from the mutli function switch in the steering column.

Just remember to put in ATM fuses, with a 1 AMP fuse, just in case something happens to you wiring, you don't blow a stock fuse and loose your high beams while driving down the road.

Let me know if this helps, or hurts

Old 02-14-2006, 10:09 PM
Thanks!! I think I get what you are saying!! I'll check it out tomorrow and let you know how I do! Thanks for all the help!!

Old 02-16-2006, 10:54 PM
Lightbulb fog lights??????

ok heres what i done so far... i bought an aftemarket valance.. for foglights.. bought foglights and mounted on the truck ... replaced the headlight switch.. with another that has the foglight switch in it.. was told as long i replaced the switch i would get fire.. thru the factory wiring on the truck that originally is on the truck.... i get no fire..??? what do i need to change next... i have relays in the the fuse box that i need.. anyone with any suggestions..

Old 02-17-2006, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by brandonhadnot
ok heres what i done so far... i bought an aftemarket valance.. for foglights.. bought foglights and mounted on the truck ... replaced the headlight switch.. with another that has the foglight switch in it.. was told as long i replaced the switch i would get fire.. thru the factory wiring on the truck that originally is on the truck.... i get no fire..??? what do i need to change next... i have relays in the the fuse box that i need.. anyone with any suggestions..
How about a few details ?

Year.
Trim level
body

That is a good start, might be able to start to answer your question.

Old 02-17-2006, 06:12 AM
Exclamation ????

i got a 99 f-150 sport ex. cab short bed what bout the trim.?

Old 02-17-2006, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by brandonhadnot
i got a 99 f-150 sport ex. cab short bed what bout the trim.?
Trim level = Sport.
Either '00 or '01 all XLTs got the same wiring as the Lariat, so the fog lamp wiring was already in the truck. '99 I am drawing a blank on, '98 I know did not have it installed at the factory.
Sport, I am unsure of... XL it did not have the wiring already installed. So I don't know which way the sport is going to follow ( XL or XLT wiring ).

Do you have the 2 connectors behind the bumper where the factory fog lamps would go ?
The wires should be Tan with an Orange Stripe ( pos ) and a black wire ( ground ).

You said you put in the fuses and relays ?
Fuse position 27 Central Junction box= 5 AMP fuse ( supplies power to the factory DL switch.
Fuse position 9 Battery Junction Box=15 AMP fuse ( supplies power to the DL relay ).
Battery Junction box DL relay ( takes power from Fuse #9 to the DL, when the factory switch is on ).

The factory headlamp switch with the driving lamp switch in it, the yellow wire ( in the harness ) should have power on it ( as long as fuse 27 is installed ) when you pull it out in the headlamp postion ( you would need to do a ramp mod, if you want it on with the parking lamps only ), and the LED should light up behind the fog lamp icon.

Let us know:
1. Confirm of both fuses and the relay install.
2. Confirm of connectors ( and color code ) behind the bumper.
2.1. With the headlamps on, pull the switch out for the fogs, and see if power is on the TN/OG wire, using the BK as ground.
if no go..
3. Check the yellow wire leaving the factory switch for power when the fog lamps are on.

Old 02-17-2006, 11:44 AM
Exclamation

yes i got foglight connectors behing the bumpers .. .they are plugged in to my foglight i installed yesteday... i also talked to a man a ford service center at a dealer.. the relay for foglights is a small black rectangle fuse its the same as the headlight relay and i have both of them i do not have diagraham to tell me which fuse is what i do not have a owners manual for my truck... the wires on the connecting ends are greenis black and orangeish yellow ... the led in the switch doesnt light up when in the on positon there insnt no yellow wire only wire with any yellow is a solid red with a yellow stripe still searching.. for clues

Last edited by brandonhadnot; 02-17-2006 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:54 PM
UPdate!!!

i located which fuse is what and where each is located... i get fire to the #9 fuse under the hood with lights off with test light.. under dash i get fire with headlight switch in the on postion for foglights..(**** pulled out) on #27 now i know thats working... from switch to fuse box is good i get nothing from there on.... does that help you more i feel like im searching for the needle in the haystack over here LOL oh one more thing led in switch still no lighting up even though i get fire from switch to fuse box ?????????????????

Old 02-17-2006, 01:44 PM

You can download a owners manual from :
https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/default.asp

The '99 manual seems to be worng on the site, so I pulled a '98 manual for ref. You might try this so you have something.

When you say you get fire I assume you are talking about 12 v ?

I got a chance to pull the page from the '99 EVTM :

Now you have an idea of where things are at :
When you say you get power to fuse #9 under the hood, where are you testing from ? One side of this is hot all the time, the other will apply power to the DL relay on pin #3. If you install fuse #9, you can test it by pulling the DL relay, and checking for power at pin #3, which is the Orange with a light green stripe ( you might not be able to see this wire, it is under the Battery Junction box ).

When you test from Fuse #27 in the central junction box, what is the other end you are testing to ? This should be the White with a black stripe wire on the Main headlamp switch on pin#2 and to the DL relay pin #1 in the battery junction box.

This is where the wiring harness in your Sport trim level could be the same as the XL, where it is missing the wiring in the harness. ( and where the 01 EVTM is different from the 99 ).

The Main Headlamp switch needs to have:
1. White with a black stripe to pin #2 ( on the headlamp switch ). Power at all times ( different from 01 EVTM ).
2. Yellow to pin #5 ( on the headlamp switch ). ( should be open until the switch is pulled i.e. : Not ground or power ).
3. Black to pin #6 ( on the headlamp switch ).Should be 0 ohms to ground.

This is the DL switch circuit, if you are missing any of these, you will need to get pin ends, and try to wire the connector for the switch with them, fun part will be trying to get the Yellow wire to the DL Relay in the Battery Junction box under the hood.

Also you need to try to clean the wires under the bumper. The Greenish Black and orangeish yellow don't match anything.
It might be a case of the greenish black is the BK wire, and the Orangish Yellow is the TN/ORG wire.

Quick Reply: Fog Light Wiring