1998 F150 XLT, no remote lock/ unlock

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 02:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 F150 XLT, no remote lock/ unlock

I have a quick question, I have a 1998 F150 XLT and my friend got some extr remotes from the dealership where he works. We tried to program the remotes with no success. We checked under the dash where the module should be located and it looks as though nothing was ever there. Shouldn't the XLT come standard with this option? Where can I purchase a replacement module for a resonable price?

Thanks

Old 08-24-2005, 08:49 PM
Smile No remote lock/unlock

The best thing you can do is the same thing I did. Go to Circuit City, Best Buy or someplace similar and have them install an aftermarket unit.

Old 08-26-2005, 06:31 AM
My 98 XLT did not have one either, had to go aftermarket with a viper keyless entry base model. It cost $120 installed.

Old 08-26-2005, 10:16 AM
A nice crimestopper remote can be installed in an hour, and has better remotes.

Or, you can put in an actual Ford unit. I put a Deluxe Ford alarm/keyless in my truck, not much harder than aftermarket. Or, if you visit a nearby salvage yard you can put a keyless out of a dead Tarus etc. for 10-15 bucks, and it will work with stock remotes.
Adding keyless is very easy.
Chris

Old 08-26-2005, 11:38 AM
Anyone tried those e-bay units with the keyless/ and remote start functions. It is supposed to replace the factory unit and tie right into the factory harness with no modifications. I think it is a modified factory unit.

I don't want to spend too much on the kit because I don't drive my truck but maybe 2 or 3times a month. My friend just installed some Viper 6something alarm/remote start/ keyless system in my protege (daily-driver) and I really like it. Just looking for an inexpensive way to get keyless.

I'll try seaching the local J/Y, what year taurus/ sable should I look for?

Old 08-26-2005, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by Redroush98
Anyone tried those e-bay units with the keyless/ and remote start functions. It is supposed to replace the factory unit and tie right into the factory harness with no modifications. I think it is a modified factory unit.

I don't want to spend too much on the kit because I don't drive my truck but maybe 2 or 3times a month. My friend just installed some Viper 6something alarm/remote start/ keyless system in my protege (daily-driver) and I really like it. Just looking for an inexpensive way to get keyless.

I'll try seaching the local J/Y, what year taurus/ sable should I look for?
Dang, that is one pretty truck!

Do you have electric door locks now?

If not, you need to add at least one, probably two.

Just to get keyless, don't bother with the start unless you really need it. Major increase in complications/install and how many people ever use it? Maybe if you live in a very cold climate.

Assume you have power door locks, if you can put in an aftermarket radio, you can do keyless with aftermarket.

Pre 98 taurus/sable tend to have a very simple keyless module that you can pull out of the trunk. It has 40 wires, but to make it a keyless you only need power in, ground, and two wires out to the door locks. You can add other things like horn/siren chirp, dome light, trunk, etc. by using other wires in the harness.
The harness comes apart easily, and you can pull out the wires you don't want, making it very simple looking.
Or buy a kit on e-bay.

I would need to know about your present locking system before I could give you the color wires, etc.
Chris

Old 08-26-2005, 02:17 PM
Thanks Chris. I appreciate the compliment, and the help. Presently I have both power locks, I would like the dome light to operate when the doors unlock, the rest is not very important. I really only want this so I don't scratch the key hole area on the door. The previous owner scratched the small area pretty good and I would like to avoid any more scratches in the future, especially after she gets a fresh coat of paint.

Will the taurus/sable module bolt into the factory F150 location? Also, can I just use the factory remotes for the F150? Any color/ wire designations will be very helpful, I installed a "painless wiring" gauge harness in my 80' camaro when I swapped all the autometer guages so I should be able to figure it out.

Again, thanks a lot for all the help.
Rob

Old 08-26-2005, 02:25 PM
You are sure there is no keyless module already in the truck? You've tried the switch the key on off 8 times ending on key on and see if the locks cycle, test?
Chris

Old 08-26-2005, 02:53 PM
Yes, I checked aong with my friend who has a lot of experience with alarms, sound systems, and other various auto-related electronics for the module. We tried the on/off procedure with no results then checked under the dash. There are mounting bolts but no module.

A friend who is pretty ford-knowledgeable said that all fully-loaded XLT's came with keyless entry. Perhaps mine was removed by a previous owner, I am not sure.

Old 08-26-2005, 03:36 PM
I think he is right. That's a puzzle.
Well, I think you should just get an aftermarket keyless, and wire it in. The after market ones are prettier than Ford Power Code units.
If you want to buy a cheap lightly used one, drop me an e-mail. Or find any e-bayer you feel comfortable with. The one vendor that says OEM in all his adds is not OEM at all. They are generic keyless systems with directions and a 'custom' made wire harness. Not saying there's anything wrong with them, just that they are not what the ad says.

I will take a look at my Mitchels CDs for your truck and see what wire is the dome light. To put in an after market you would route the wires to the relay by the door (I will check were it is exactly in a minute).
All after market kits come with instructions.

Chris

looking at 98 f-150 door lock circuit
the window motor for drivers door the pink/orange wire and pink/black wires are the door motor wires, the pink/light-green wire is the interior lights system.
Looks straight forward.
The non keyless shows the wires go direct from the switch to the lock motor.
The ones that came with the keyless used relays behind right side of dash.
The none keyless trucks used red/orange and pink/black wires at the drivers door motor.

Last edited by ChrisAdams; 08-26-2005 at 03:53 PM. Reason: adding wire colors
Old 08-26-2005, 03:50 PM
e-mail sent I don't really trust e-bay. I have been burned previously.

Quick Reply: 1998 F150 XLT, no remote lock/ unlock