06 F150 no trailer running lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 06 F150 no trailer running lights

I have bought a used 06-F150 & it has a towing hitch with factory wiring harness for the 4 pin & 7 pin connectors. I have no manual for this truck & have been reading what Scully had suggested to others. I still can not figure out why I have no running lights. The brake lights & turn signal lights work fine. I am checking voltage at the 4-pin adapter on the truck. No voltage on the brown & white wire. Any help on this?

Last edited by dlh150; 02-16-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
quick search for owners manual would give several of Ford's sites for downloading the owners manual

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/default.asp

You read some posts, but you have no note if the fuse for the trailer tow adapter parking lamps is good or not. It is fuse #10.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
quick search for owners manual would give several of Ford's sites for downloading the owners manual

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/default.asp

You read some posts, but you have no note if the fuse for the trailer tow adapter parking lamps is good or not. It is fuse #10.

Thanks SScully!! I found out which fuse from one of your other comments about trailer lights. It was the f10 fuse that was blown. Just started on this forum. I have always been a Chevy guy till I bought this Ford. Now I am a FORD guy. I just do not know anything about them. I have always worked on my own stuff & was great with GM, but this Ford stuff, I will have to learn. I am still learning how to use this website. It is great. Thanks for the help

Old 03-20-2010, 07:59 PM
OK. Not to hyjack this thread.

But I have no running lights on trailers either.

My truck has two fuses (left turn/brake and right turn/brake) and the relay for the 'trailer tow park' lights (running lights).

At first I thought it was the trailer (it was borrowed) but a buddy hooked it up to his truck and they turned right on just fine. So...I got the tester out and cannot get a test light on the running light hole. So I took apart the chassis connector above the spare tire and can't seem to get a light there (the tester didn't go into the hole very good and I had limited tools so can't make 100% sure there). But the fog lamp relay and trailer tow are the same. I've swapped them and the fogs work fine. So I'd have to say that I've ruled that out. I have no idea where to look and tow quite frequently so I need to get this figured out. Any suggestions on what to check next? Thanks!

Old 03-21-2010, 07:58 AM

Did you check the fuse for the trailer tow adapter parking lamps ?

You mention the relay ( no note if you did anything with it ), but not the fuse.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:34 AM
I've checked fuse 10 and fuse 36 I believe they are. Neither of those fuses say anything about the parking lights, they say trailer stop/turn in the brief description in the manual. They were both fine, and I swapped them out with new fuses.

I didn't read about any other fuse to do with towing in the manual unless I skipped over it somehow?

Last edited by mxzeatr; 03-21-2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by mxzeatr
I've checked fuse 10 and fuse 36 I believe they are. Neither of those fuses say anything about the parking lights, they say trailer stop/turn in the brief description in the manual. They were both fine, and I swapped them out with new fuses.

I didn't read about any other fuse to do with towing in the manual unless I skipped over it somehow?
ahh the things we have to go through to get the toys to the woods ...hi buddy
Hey..did you check the backside of the plug connector , I had a wire break there when mine went out . I also ended up hard wiring the adapter plug right to my trailer wiring and skipped the 4plug connector all together...just need to remember the to snip it when I sell the trailer.

rick

Old 03-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by snownutt
ahh the things we have to go through to get the toys to the woods ...hi buddy
Hey..did you check the backside of the plug connector , I had a wire break there when mine went out . I also ended up hard wiring the adapter plug right to my trailer wiring and skipped the 4plug connector all together...just need to remember the to snip it when I sell the trailer.

rick
Hey Rick! I thought that SN looked familiar!

I don't have power to either the 4 pin or the 7 pin connector. I'm not sure whats going on. The wiring looks fine, I un-wrapped all of the loom from the chassis plug all down to the 4 and 7 connectors and all connections are tight/shrinkwrapped/siliconed by the looks of it. The wires going into either connection look good too.

I don't think I'm getting power to go back there, but I don't know what to check. Relay's are confusing to me, which is why I swapped the fog one for the trailer tow park light one thinking if it was the relay the fogs wouldn't work? But...Here I am looking for more ideas etc...I'll be towing a trailer next weekend (in the daylight) so maybe they will just 'work'! LOL

-Eric

Old 03-21-2010, 11:51 AM

Fuse #10 says Trailer tow back-up lamps relay (PCB1), Trailer tow parklamp relay (R201). That would be the parking lamps for the trailer.

The Stop / Turn, do these not work either ? Just curious why you are checking the Stop / Turn to try to fix the parking lamps.

You can pull the Trailer Tow parklamp relay, and jumper the normally open contacts, this would have power to the rear at all times.

The other place to try is the harness to the rear of the truck.

This is the picture from the 2001, but it is the same place for the 2004+ MY trucks.

Start with jumpering the normally open contacts in the relay socket. You can also check for power from fuse #10 on pin 3.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Fuse #10 says Trailer tow back-up lamps relay (PCB1), Trailer tow parklamp relay (R201). That would be the parking lamps for the trailer.

The Stop / Turn, do these not work either ? Just curious why you are checking the Stop / Turn to try to fix the parking lamps.

You can pull the Trailer Tow parklamp relay, and jumper the normally open contacts, this would have power to the rear at all times.

The other place to try is the harness to the rear of the truck.

This is the picture from the 2001, but it is the same place for the 2004+ MY trucks.

Start with jumpering the normally open contacts in the relay socket. You can also check for power from fuse #10 on pin 3.
The stop/turns are working. The reason I was checking fuse 10 especially is because of the diagram you posted above. It looks to me as though the relay is powered from fuse #10 correct? So I started there.

Thank you for the diagram of the relay. I will make a short jumper and try that next. Hopefully I can get to it today, if not it will have to wait a little bit. All my tools are up north at my parents so trying to do stuff isn't very easy around here.

I've checked that plug, at least for corrosion etc...The pins are very tiny, and I felt I couldn't get my tester needle in the hole to get a light to come on, So I took a piece of wire, stripped the ends up a ways, and shoved the wire into the BR/WHT hole and got no test light. That tells me I have no power to that main connector correct? TY for your help thus far!

Old 03-21-2010, 03:25 PM
Well I am a jackass! I must admit.

I was confused and the truck wasn't here while talking this morning. I was checking/replacing fuse 36 and 42? This was the STOP/TURN fuses NOT the fuse number 10 you were talking about. I was confused and I feel like an idiot. I pulled the 20a fuse out of #10 and yep, it was blown. Good lord I'm a moron! I replaced the fuse and it works just fine.

Thank you for your help.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:01 PM
I have had the same problem with my 2010 f150. My trailer lights have not worked for 4 times. It has been fuse all the time.

I took to my local auto repair shop in Alabaster, Al. Customers asked him all the time, so he wrote a blog about it.

Check it out, it will tell you how to fix your problem for few dollars.

http://meltonautomotive.com/item/f15...s-stop-working

Old 05-27-2014, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by mxzeatr
Well I am a jackass! I must admit.

I was confused and the truck wasn't here while talking this morning. I was checking/replacing fuse 36 and 42? This was the STOP/TURN fuses NOT the fuse number 10 you were talking about. I was confused and I feel like an idiot. I pulled the 20a fuse out of #10 and yep, it was blown. Good lord I'm a moron! I replaced the fuse and it works just fine.

Thank you for your help.
You aren't the only jackass. Did the same thing about an hour ago. The manual gets you thinking relay and fuse doesn't click until you read a post like this a few dozen times. Didn't get it until your last post.

Thanks for slapping me straight. All fixed now.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:21 PM
Same deal .... Only ...

I'm having the same issue , and looked at my owners Manuel to find the 31 fuse location .... Glad I double checked before I went out and pulled the 31 on my truck ..... Because on mine the 31 is the run/start relay ... On my 2013 in the owners manual it shows the trailer tow parking lamp fuse as in position 67 a 20 amp ... Haven't checked it out yet but I bet that's the problem as we'll ... People have noted that there are a few different Manuel's for the same yr truck , guess it's for good reason ... Changing fuse placement is an important issue , but IMO they should be the same for the complete yr or yrs that truck was made ... standard would be nice , it's pretty dumb to have different owners manuels with different specs for each quarter of the year of that yrs production of the f150 ...

Old 07-18-2016, 12:03 PM
Here's my problem. when i hook my travel trailer up to my 2005 F150 i am blowing the fuse for the towing lights. I thought is was my trailer so I took it in to my trailer dealer to have the trailer checked. All the electrical on the trailer checked out. In fact they hooked up another truck to my trailer and the running lights were on. We went back replaced the 20 amp fuse in my truck for the running lights. They hooked up the trailer and no lights. Checked out the 20 amp fuse and it was blow. Going camping in Michigans UP next week and really do not to be traveling with out towing lights. PS all other lights ie. brake . turn sigals work when its hooked up just on the towing lights. Any suggestions????

Quick Reply: 06 F150 no trailer running lights