headlights kill engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
headlights kill engine

Hi,
For some time now, when I turn on the headlamps on my F150, the engine dies abruptly. I'd appreciate any help or suggestions on troubleshooting what's going on. So far, the only thing I've done is confirm that the problem is isolated to the headlights (when I remove the 40A fuse, the problem does not occur - the rear lamps work). The headlights both work just fine.
Thanks
Rob

Old 04-11-2004, 06:32 PM
RobBroekhuis; If you get a battery light at higher RPM's the problem will be in the voltage regulator, [what year vehicel? &
what engine & so forth] it sounds like the regulator is sticking in the off position & when it needs to self excite it can not due to this, if it is not a built in regulator I would just replace it, if it is of the built in type take the whole alternator into a parts store &
have it bench tested this will be able to show you real time.
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER. turbo ted

Old 04-11-2004, 08:14 PM
TurboTed,
Thanks for your reply. First to give some more info - my truck is a 1992 model. I don't know off-hand what the other details are: I bought it from my father-in-law's estate, and I don't have all the paperwork. The battery light comes on and stays on after the engine dies, but I figure this is normal for the situation where the ignition switch is "on" and the engine is not running.
I do have a problem (that I thought was not related, but your post makes me think twice) with the truck hesitating excessively when accelerating. I was going to change the fuel filter to try to remedy that - could it be the voltage regulator as well?
To be honest - I'd never heard of a thing called a voltage regulator - I'll have to read up on it...
Rob

Old 04-11-2004, 09:49 PM
I would agree with Ted. Either the Voltage regulator is going, or the Diode. The battery light should NOT be on when the key is on, engine off. I had my regulator die on me and didn't realize it until the battery ran out of power and could no longer support the ECM. Yours is in the alternator and will require rebuilding/replacing the entire alternator.

Old 04-11-2004, 11:09 PM
OK. Not what I was hoping to hear, but that's life. Is there any way I can troubleshoot this to make sure it's indeed the V regulator, before going ahead and getting it replaced? How hard is it to replace?
Thanks for your help
Rob

Old 04-12-2004, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Guitar_Stitch
The battery light should NOT be on when the key is on, engine off.
I have never experienced a vehicle where the battery light did not come on when it stalled. Are you sure about this?

Quick Reply: headlights kill engine