Anatomy of the Multi-Function Switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anatomy of the Multi-Function Switch

A caveat first, this MFS is from my ’93 Taurus which is ready for the bone yard. I was curious about the switch and decided to pull it out.

How different can it really be from the F-150?

Here is the switch removed. It was attached to the steering column with two T-20 bit screws. This MFS has a straight stalk. The F-150 stalk has a soft S-curve.

Here’s a look at the rear of the switch. There are two relatively large pigtails that plug into the rear of the MFS. The emergency flasher button is on the left. The projection in the arc at the bottom is the turn signal disengagement.

Last edited by Jimb; 03-14-2004 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:23 AM
Here, the cap is removed.

The screw and selector **** removed. Notice the two brass nubbins. These are connected with a spring. These provide the clicking for the intermittent wipers.

Here, the contacts and the nubbins are removed.

Last edited by Jimb; 03-14-2004 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:24 AM
Another view of the contacts. I believe the bent-looking contact on the left is for the windshield washer pump.

Here’s a look inside the washer/wiper part of the switch. It has a circuit board type surface that coincides with the contacts. If you have washer/wiper problems, this is what you want to clean and relube with dielectric grease.

Some warnings:
  • The screw that holds the selector **** has a double helix with different heights. Be very careful when reinstalling the screw. If not installed exactly the same way it was removed, it could split the core.
  • Because the nubbins are at opposite ends of the same spring, be careful when pulling off the selector ****. The nubbins could fling off and get lost.
  • The contacts are small and fragile. Use caution when cleaning them. Cotton swabs work well.
  • With the switch removed, the headlights do not work.

Last edited by Jimb; 03-14-2004 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:40 AM
I haven't taken apart my F-150 MFS. Is this one very similar to it?

Old 07-03-2004, 06:42 PM
Multi-Switch '97 F150

Thanks Jim, but it is actually the base of the switch I have taken apart that I need some pictures or a diagram of. Thanks again for trying to help.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the post, it took 5 minutes and a $1 packet of dielectric grease. It sure was getting annoying...

Old 09-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
All MFSs are identical, other than the shape of the lever, the finish on the lever & cap (some have chrome), and the presence of cornering lamp terminals on certain car MFSs. But they're all interchangeable, except you can't put a non-cornering MFS into a vehicle with the larger connectors.

Don't use DIelectric (insulating) grease; use ELECTRICAL grease.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:17 PM
I'm about to work on the MFS myself. I've heard to use insulating grease - otherwise you'll bridge more than just the connection that is being touched by the contact. Using electrical caused intermittent wiper engagement, from what I've heard... the other f150 site has the info: <f150 net url>/howto/fix-intermittent-wiper-problem.php

Quick Reply: Anatomy of the Multi-Function Switch