Power window problem - With a twist!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 07:11 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power window problem - With a twist!

I have a 1997 Regular cab 6-cyl. All of a sudden my power window on the driver side stopped working. I got frustrated and slapped the switches, and both windows worked again for a week or so. The truck sits outside and we had a spell with bad fog for a few days so I figured I had moisture in the switch. The passenger works just fine. Then both sides went out. Yesterday I took the switch out and cleaned it with contact cleaner. All of the contacts looked good and seem to work OK. I put it all back together and still neither side worked. So, I put a new switch (F65Z-14529-AAB) on order to see if that works. I have tried holding the button down and closing the door trick and I don't think my problem is the motor. Not in both doors...

I checked the continuity of the fuse (30A, slot 25 under the hood) and its slot and all is good. Unless you guys say otherwise I have no reason to believe it's relays because nothing else seems wrong. One thing I found puzzling was that none of the 9 wires going into the button switch harnesses carried 12 volts with the accessory on. Shouldn't at least ONE of them carry juice? One did in the lock switch and the mirror switch.

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE! Low and behold today the passenger window works again, so I still suspect the switch because the problem is so erratic.

Until my switch comes in I'm open for ideas or if you guys think I'm on the right track. Switch? Motor? Relay? ......

Old 02-15-2005, 08:45 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
See here: https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hreadid=170889

Probably a combination of problems....

Steve

Old 02-16-2005, 02:19 PM
Former Sponsor
Anybody?

Anybody?

Anybody?

Old 02-16-2005, 07:39 PM
Former Sponsor
Today I went out for awhile, and now both buttons work again! I have both windows! This has got to be the switch.....we'll see when I get my new one next week.

Old 02-19-2005, 03:56 PM
with it being intermitent i think you can probably assume not the switch. most opf the time a switch is gonna be bad or good. its the power coming into it that is changing. check all your wires for chafing or cut insulation . your windows aren't gonna pull 12 volts to operate i dont believe. when inspecting wires be sure to check where they come into close contact with metal. pull on the wires checking for a partial cut inside the insulation. I dont mean yank them from the switch but single wire section at a time

Old 02-21-2005, 02:57 PM
Former Sponsor
One thing I didn't mention is the temperature differences we have been experiencing here. When it'[s really cold, the window works. When it warms up, it does not. Maybe the copper contacts instide the switch are contracting under the temp. changes? In any case I have a new switch on order as I have decided to make it the first step in my process of elimination. Should be here in a day or so......

Old 03-09-2005, 04:12 PM
Former Sponsor
New switch is in and so far it works fine. I'll repost if it quits again, which rules it out....

Old 03-25-2005, 12:23 PM
Former Sponsor
Still working great through several temp. changes. I think I found the problem.

Quick Reply: Power window problem - With a twist!