Where Does the Problem Lie?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 11:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where Does the Problem Lie?

Hi everyone.Last nite in my '92 F-150 i was cruisin home from work.Engine went dead on interstate.Battery was dead as a doornail and would not jump,Got another battery and got it cranked..when i got it home that battery was nearly dead also.I'm trying to determine if my alternator has went south or if it is my starter.Put a hot battery in it tonite only to have it barely turn over.My 2 questions are:Can a bad starter drain a battery?Can a bad alternator drain a battery merely on trying to crank engine?Thanks for any ideas.

Old 07-01-2003, 11:40 PM
I know a bad alternator can drain a battery. My suggestion is to pull both and take em to autozone or something, they test em for free.

I had what i thought was an alternator problem, turned out to be a 3 dollar fuse, so check the super fuse in the back. Now i dont know if that applies to your truck or not because of the year, but theres probably something. Good luck.

Old 07-02-2003, 12:39 AM
Yes a bad alternator can drain a battery especially at night when your running your lights. If the alternator is not working properly then your lights are powered right off the battery.

As grinomyte stated take it by an Auto Zone or somewhere like that and they can test it out for you. If it is not that they may be able to help locate the problem.

Old 07-03-2003, 08:10 AM
problem

if the selinoid or starter motor goes bad it will be very hard to jump start if not impossible. that was the prob on my 84. put in a new batt started it twice and batt was dead after that. new selinoid and new starter(i was don playing and wanted it done so i did both together) and it was fine. by the way the bad starter caused my alt to fail 2 weeks later

Old 07-04-2003, 12:38 AM
Well it was the starter.Everything seems fine now.Dang these gear reduction things are high..$90.00 for rebuilt..Thanks for ya'lls replys...Dave

Old 07-04-2003, 03:09 PM
Never heard of a starter causing a alternator to go bad. There is no connection between the two.

Starter comes directly off the battery, all the starting amps come directly from the battery, nothing to do with the alternator. The alternator only provides power once the engine is running.

Quick Reply: Where Does the Problem Lie?