Ignition Switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition Switch

Is there a state of the ignition switch that has 12v hot when the ignition is off and goes to zero volts when the ignition is on ? Please reply on message board.
Thanks............. Rick

Old 05-28-2003, 09:56 PM
Which year model?

FordMasterTech

Old 05-29-2003, 02:14 PM
Ignition Switch

The year is 1999 and the model is F150 XLT With 5.4

Old 05-29-2003, 05:52 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Rick,

Is this for something you are adding, or a problem you are working on ?

The easy way to get power with the key off, is to get a 5 pin auto relay sized for what amps you need ( 20 or 30 usually ) and use the Normally Closed contacts on the relay. This does require running fused constant power from the battery into the location ( under the dash ? ) that you need the power at.

Then use the ign hot in run position to power the relay. When the key is in the run position, the power is applied to the coil on the relay and opens the N.C. Contacts.

The other nice part of this, is you have a Normally Open contact set from the same fused connection to the battery as well, that would allow you to put in additional assy that are only active when the key is on. Something like an AMP, additional lights front or rear, or anything else that comes to mind.
With this the terminal from the relay for the N.O. contact can be put to a 6 position fuse block, for powering the additional components down the road. The N.O. setup is usually the first thing I put in a truck when I get it home, as I always need the additional power for items I don't like taking from a pre-existing circuit.

I straight away don't know a circuit under the dash that would fit this bill, but I have not looked for it all that much.

Let me know if I am close to what is up, to know if I need to look for an additional pre-existng circuit for a problem you are tracking down.

If you don't have them, there are some pictures of the relay in my misc gallery with pin outs and terminal numbers for hooking it up.

Good luck

Steve

Quick Reply: Ignition Switch