F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Dealers (https://www.f150online.com/forums/dealers-44/)
-   -   How to Get Service Dept to Fix Intermittent Problems? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/dealers/340850-how-get-service-dept-fix-intermittent-problems.html)

rhdad42 07-29-2008 10:16 AM

How to Get Service Dept to Fix Intermittent Problems?

Recently, my 2005 FX4 Screw has been experiencing intermittent grinding in the front hubs. If I slow down, or come to a stop, the trans goes "KACHUNK" and the grinding goes away. Also, if I flick it into 4Hi and then back into 2wd the grinding goes away. After doing my research on the site, it seems to me to be the IWE Solenoid issue, for which there's a TSB.

I took the truck into a local dealership, and explained the issue to them, showed them the TSB, and asked them to take a look. They had the truck all day and when I called they told me they couldn't reproduce the problem, so there was nothing they could do. They told me to bring it in when it's grinding. I told him that when you slow down enough (or stop) the issue goes away, so unless I had a mechanic with me all the time he might never hear it. My question is how do I handle this? How do you get a dealership to fix problems like this?

97XL 07-30-2008 01:23 AM

Well if you have the TSB that exactly describes your prob and how to fix it and the truck is under warranty just go back and say "here's the prob, here's the TSB on how to fix it, its under warranty so just fix it, no excuses" They prolly hope you'll wait till the warranty has expired then they will be more than happy to fix it for you...for a price$$$.
If they still refuse then say fine I'll just take my business to another dealer, or ask to speak to the service dept. manager. Tell them you don't want to wait until this becomes a major issue, cuz grinding while driving is not good, the last thing you want is for something to seize up while driving and hurt yourself, your family or someone else.

orlydose 08-01-2008 03:18 AM

hey rhdad, i to am experiencing the same problem with the exact same truck you have except for the "kachunck" sound. can you tellme where you found the tsb?

Quintin 08-03-2008 10:10 PM

If they can't duplicate the problem, there's nothing they can do. And contrary to popular belief, it's not because they want to wait until the warranty's expired to rip you off. Here's the real reason why.

Let's say that they throw some parts on your truck for an intermittent concern they can't readily duplicate, per a TSB or whatever. You're happy, you pick your truck up, drive around a bit and the concern is still there.

Strike one.

You bring it back to the dealership. Well, now that the dealership has replaced a part, they're legally obligated to fix your truck. Let's say that your problem is a real bastard, hard to detect/diagnose/duplicate and the dealership in the interest of customer satisfaction takes another shot and replaces something else. You pick it up, and the problem is still there.

Strike two.

You bring it back, obviously irritated, and in desperation the dealership replaces some more stuff. You take the truck again, and the concern is still there.

Strike three. In most states, that's Lemon law time.

It's absolutely imperative that the dealership does nothing if they cannot verify the concern. Slinging parts on the basis of TSBs, service messages, wild ass guesses, is just opening the door for the dealer and Ford to get burnt. It sucks for the customer, but it is what it is.

rhdad42 08-15-2008 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by orlydose (Post 3314178)
hey rhdad, i to am experiencing the same problem with the exact same truck you have except for the "kachunck" sound. can you tellme where you found the tsb?

Sorry for the delay. I basically did a search on the site here and someone else had a link for the TSB. The TSB number is 06-8-15.

FordFast 09-05-2008 02:02 PM

EXCELLENT INFORMATION.........bookmarked

Patman 09-05-2008 02:10 PM

agreed with quintin, you dont really understand all the politics of a dealership until you work for one.

You can drive around with a video camera all the time. or if the concern happens on a certain road take the tech for a ride down that street.
-Patrick

whitecrystal1 09-28-2008 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw (Post 3361852)
if the concern happens on a certain road take the tech for a ride down that street.
-Patrick

That's what I had to do with the slip bump issue I was having with my drive shaft. What I did was drive around the dealership until I found a good spot that I could get it to do it a few times. The I ask to take the tech for a ride. It did it the first time I tried and they replaced my drive shaft. :thumbsup: