E85 5* tunes opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 04:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E85 5* tunes opinions

I have a 2012 F-150 5.0 coyote Flex Fuel w/75K miles. I have always run 100% gasoline 87 or 91 octane. I am still running my Flex Fuel truck straight OEM, but I have just purchased a few mods, I plan to install, like a Volant CAI and an 85mm BBK throttle body. I also bought an SCT X4 with 5* tunes, of my choice, included.

This morning, I just installed a couple of oil separator catch cans and decided to fill up the tank, for the first time, with E85/105 octane. I did a little test drive and noticed my normal 15.7 mpg average drop to 10.6 mpg. Also checked the can and it had about three tablespoon of clear, watery like liquid, with virtually no smell. I'm guessing it was Ethanol blow by.

So, once I install my new Volant CAI and BBK throttle body, I need to choose the 5-star tunes. There are two E85 tunes (performance and tow) and performance and tow tunes for 93, 91, 89 and 87 octane 100% gasoline.

So my question to any reader is this . . . What strategy would you choose picking five tunes with a mind toward around town performance, and towing a travel trailer in the Rocky Mountains region?

Old 11-11-2018, 10:22 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well, I guess I don't understand why you are installing these components....no gain in hp/tq/MPG either...…
As far as mail order tunes, that is really like your grandparents taking their car to "tunemasters" for a tune-up....yeah, they changed out the plugs, etc. but everything was middle of the road quality and no real effort was ever put forth on the specific vehicle. Mail order tunes are no different...they do not take into effect fuel quality, driving conditions, etc...… and there is no way anyone can know what is going on in your engine by "osmosis" (ie never seeing it physically or remotely).

and when you consider the consequences that these "expert tuners" have had, including but not limited to "Valve Tuliping" (which doesn't show up for a few years)… I would forget the "bolt on parts" and take the vehicle to a real dyno shop and have it tuned....with most likely certainty, you will get the exact performance you are looking for, address any issues and do it all without changing a single part/component.... and the cost....likely the about the same or less as if you were to buy the "magic hp programmer + CAI + TB" (especially if they are using advanced software like HP tuners, etc. which will not require you buy a programmer)

Old 11-12-2018, 08:11 AM
Howdy kid, thanks for your perspective. I am fiddling with the truck and bolting on parts, because I just retired and need something to do. You paint a rather dim picture of the bolt on parts/mail order tune theme. I am curious if you have personal experience with these popular modifications, either in the sense you have tried them on your own truck, or perhaps you are a mechanic and have seen the results first hand. Or maybe, you have done alot of research on the subject to form your opinion. I ask, because I am not one who wants to intentionally and with malice of forethought, do anything to my truck that is going to lead to serious damage. My investment in the truck is limited since it is a 2012 MY with 75K miles, so a great part of the depreciation is already gone down the river, so to speak. Interestingly enough, I received a similar post to yours on another truck site which also questioned my decision to spend the money on these frivolous parts such as the Volant kit, the larger throttle body, etc. He was complimentary on the Five Star tunes however, but recommended keeping the truck stock OEM and just running high octane gasoline with a tune. If you have any response I would be appreciative to read it. Thanks for taking the time to give your opinion.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:32 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I ran an email tune for about 90,000 miles on my 2005 and loved it. There are 2 or 3 very good tuners that I would not hesitate to use. 5 Star would probably be my first choice. You will also have the device on hand to recalibrate the speedometer should you change tire size. Many on here have had good luck with canned tunes and maybe two or three were not satisfied. No doubt that a tune on a dyno will get you more and tell you exactly what the results are, but they stay within safe parameters for canned tunes and they are a huge improvement over stock.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:39 AM
Bluejay, I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Coming from someone who has 90K miles worth of experience with the mail order tunes (like 5*) I can say I now feel much better. As for gas or ethanol, My mileage dropped 33% on my first tank of 70% E85, so just doing the math, I believe I will stick to pure gasoline for all my tunes. All the best!

Old 11-12-2018, 10:19 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
What you do is buy CUSTOM tunes. You fill out a form that lists all your mods, etc. and they send you canned tunes. You do datalogging, send it in, then they write you new custom tunes. This is as close as you are going to get to dyno tunes without a dyno.

I agree - a CAI and a throttle body does nothing for a stock engine. The stock intake setup is more than adequate unless you do internal engine mods.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:24 AM
Thanks glc... I am getting this all done via 5* with Stage3Motorsports as the middle man selling me all the gear. They claim a 25-35 hp gain and approximate torque gain as well with a new CAI, 85mm throttle body and a five star tune with 93 octane gasoline. What I hear you and others saying is I could get the same gain with completely stock engine setup, and basically the CAI is simply visual and aural bling bling?

Old 11-12-2018, 12:47 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Yep, the CAI only gives you looks and noise, and the stock TB is plenty big enough for an engine with stock internals. The tune is what makes the difference.

Rather than just believe what Stage 3 says, ask 5* directly what they think the CAI and TB will do for you. They are the ones writing the tunes and perhaps they have some real world experience.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Yep, the CAI only gives you looks and noise, and the stock TB is plenty big enough for an engine with stock internals. The tune is what makes the difference.

Rather than just believe what Stage 3 says, ask 5* directly what they think the CAI and TB will do for you. They are the ones writing the tunes and perhaps they have some real world experience.
Great idea. Thx

Old 04-29-2019, 01:34 PM
So far I have run two of my six tunes I received from 5-Star. My 87 octane tow tune returned a 5 mpg increase with a definite fun to drive feel in the seat of my pants. I went from 15.6mpg OEM to 20.8mpg. I just completed a weekend trip to Houston and returned from Oklahoma City. I filled up with 93 octane as soon as I crossed the Red River in Denton. Installed the 5-star 93 octane performance tune and averaged 80-90 mph on I-45 out of Dallas going and coming. Mileage settled out at 18 mpg. There was plenty of passing git up and go at 70mph and above, when needed. I refilled the tank with 93 octane in Denton when I crossed back over into OK. We only have 91 octane here. My next test tune will be E-85 100 octane when I empty the 93 octane in the tank. My overall impression that the fun factor of driving my truck with Volant Air Box, cat backs, and 5-star tunes is well worth the money.

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: E85 5* tunes opinions