What tunes should i buy? TOO MANY OPTIONS

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What tunes should i buy? TOO MANY OPTIONS

Just joined the forum guys, so hello

I'm looking to tune my 2016 f150 5.0L. I've got 67K miles on it, so voiding warranties is no longer a concern. I've been researching online for several days reading post after post on these forums and I get a different answer from each post I read. I've narrowed it down to 5*, MPT, or Unleashed. I drive 30-40K miles a year for work and I pull a trailer with a 4 wheeler on it for all those miles. By no means is it a heavy haul, but i drive on a lot of back roads and gravels with hills as far as you can see. That being said, I am in need of a solid trans tune. I'm also tired of having to give it half to 3/4 throttle to get a downshift. And obviously i'd like to get as much extra HP out of the deal.

I've read many different posts about good and bad experiences from each of the 3 tuners i listed. 5* seems to be the most affordable only because I can buy an 'openbox' SCT tuner and 3 custom tunes from them for $399.95. Otherwise, price-wise they're pretty close. I've read you get more power from MPT, but you get a better trans tune from 5*. As for Unleashed I hear they're just better quality all around. How true that is, I don't know.

so WHICH TUNER DO I BUY FROM. pls help.

Also, are there any current promotional codes?

Old 02-25-2018, 10:41 PM
Update - I bought the SCT x4 Tuner with 3 custom 5 Star tunes. I'm going with the 87 Perf/Tow, 89 Perf/Tow and E85 performance (I'll be discussing if the 91 perf tune will make more power than e85 perf with Aaron at 5star. If substantial enough power differences, I'll go with 91perf. e85 is abundant where i live and roughly $1.90/gal vs $3/gal for 91 so i'll go with e85 if possible).

I've read that 5star has great trans tunes, which is what i'm after more so than power, thus why I went with them. I'll be getting the tuner tomorrow and then I'll email 5star about the tunes that I want. After I get my truck flashed with the tunes, I'll give you guys an update on power/perf/driveability/etc.

Let me know if there's any specific questions you want answered.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:56 PM
Cool Tuner Update

Update - I bought an SCT x4 tuner with 3 custom 5 star tunes. I'm getting the 87 perf/tow 89 perf/tow and e85 performance (I'll be asking aaron at 5star if the 91perf tune makes more power than the e85 perf tune. If it's a substantial amount i'll opt for the 91perf. e85 is about $1.90/gal around here vs $3/gal for 91 so i'm going with e85 if they're similar).

I went with 5 star because I read in several places that 5star has good trans tunes, which is what I'm looking for more so than power. The tuner will come in tomorrow and then I'll get with 5star to tell them what tunes I want. Once I get the tunes flashed on my truck I'll come back with another updated on perf/power/etc.

I also wanted to mention that I looked into MPT tuning and sent them an email asking question about power gains and recommendations for tunes and I have yet to hear back from them. I sent the email roughly 5days ago. I realize that's not much time, but when im looking to pull the trigger and buy some tunes I have little patience because I want to go ripping around town ASAP. I messaged 5star and Aaron got back to me withing the hour. Over the next couple days I sent around 9 emails to him asking questions back and forth and he responded very, very quickly every time. Another large factor as to why I went with 5 star.

Last edited by chardison; 02-25-2018 at 11:26 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:04 PM
Update

This is my thrid attempt at trying to post this message. it keeps disappearing. anywho...

I bought an SCT x4 tuner from 5 star with 3 custom tunes. I went with 87perf/tow 89perf/tow and e85 performance tunes. I went with e85 because it makes similar power to 91perf per Aaron at 5star. e85 is roughly $1.90/gal around here (Iowa) vs $3/gal for 91 ocatane. I know mileage will be worse with e85 but for how often i'll use that tune, it wont matter. I'm more interested in the hybrid tunes on my truck for regular use.

I chose 5star because everywhere I read said they had dollar for dollar better trans tunes than most. I also chose them because they responded to me quickly. I messaged 5star and MPT. Aaron at 5star responded just hours after messaging them. I have yet to hear from MPT. initial emails were sent a week ago or more. I've had several questions and concerns about the tunes and tuning process and Aaron always answers within an hour or 2, depending when you sent the email.

Once I get the tunes sent to me and flashed on the truck i'll be back with more updates

Quick Reply: What tunes should i buy? TOO MANY OPTIONS