Can you tell if truck previously had a tune?

Old 06-25-2017, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you tell if truck previously had a tune?

I just purchased a new to me 2012 XTR with the Ecoboost engine last wednesday. I tell you this thing is awesome! It seriously threw be back into the seat when I punched it! I love it so far! I never heard of a custom tune or anything until I bought the truck and started looking at accessories on these forums. Is there a chance it could have been tuned by the previous owner? If so is there a concern with going to the Ford dealership for service? Could they hurt anything if it was tuned and I did not know it?

Old 06-26-2017, 03:12 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi, tomes, welcome to the forum!

I'm glad you like your EcoBoost. I love mine!

To answer your questions, yes, there IS a chance that it was tuned by a previous owner, but I suspect the odds are fairly low. I say that because the EcoBoost is such a good powertrain to begin with that a tune probably doesn't give you that much, and, since it was a new engine, there were few tunes written for it in the first couple of years.

But, if it WAS tuned, there would be no problem taking it to a dealership for service. About the only thing a dealership could do is flash your ECM to correct possible software or firmware problems in the programming and that action would effectively remove any aftermarket tune that was installed. But, this would not hurt your truck, although if there was a tune and it was removed, you might notice a small change in the truck's performance.

If you DO want to tune it (or retune it) there are several tuning shops talked about in this forum that offer reliable tuning. If you decide to do this, stay with a tuning shop that has gotten good review here (our sponsors are reliable).

- Jack

Search this Thread