03' Harley Davidson chip suggestions

Old 12-13-2016, 11:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03' Harley Davidson chip suggestions

very instrested in installing a chip in my 03'. Any suggestion on what brand to go?

Old 12-14-2016, 08:16 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
"Chip" is an old term when you would physically replace a chip in the computer.

Everything is done electronically and you can load a generic tune (canned) or a custom tune

Old 12-14-2016, 09:48 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
SCT X4 programmer with custom tunes from one of the reputable tuning houses.

Old 12-14-2016, 11:23 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
where are you located?

I just did a tune, pulley upgrade on a 2004 lightning, BIG difference.

I would highly suggest a pulley , tune, new plugs for the pulley

Old 12-14-2016, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by BROTHERDAVE
where are you located?

I just did a tune, pulley upgrade on a 2004 lightning, BIG difference.

I would highly suggest a pulley , tune, new plugs for the pulley
im locatedni. Hawaii. I was looking on RPMoutlet.com and saw a few programmers. I'm not that wel versed in that area. What brand of pulleys did you use? I also called my local dealership and they said 400 for a new spark plug and coil install. I would prefer to do it myself, only issue is I'm not used to this engine just yet and don't want to "f" something up. Especially my supercharger. I know in the next few months I'm installing a new throttle body and cold air. I figured the "Jet Performance Module" would be a decent buy for better power and fuel economy at the same time.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:33 PM
glc
I figured the "Jet Performance Module" would be a decent buy for better power and fuel economy at the same time.
WRONG!! Those are garbage. With a supercharged engine you need custom tunes written by someone very experienced in that application. There are a few mail order tuning houses that do good work with those, you do not want any kind of CHIP or MODULE, you need a good programming device such as I already mentioned. A programmer uploads tunes through the OBD2 port and are not left connected after the tune is uploaded.

I don't know who the supercharged guys are using, but for regular Ford engines the 2 tuning houses most in favor right now I think are MPT and 5 Star.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:31 PM
just me but on these truck, plugs not done correct can cause major damage, I would rather someone that does it all the time do it.

I went with a metco 4# pulley, personally if i was doing a mail order tune I would use JDM, to me they have done it the longest and while not the cheapest, i think they do it the best.
i modified my stock air filter housing, everything i looked at said a cai was not needed and would make no more power. i would also put in a new fuel filter.

http://www.teamjdm.com/1999-2004-lig...grade-stage-2/

I have a sct programer and I had a local place do a custom dyno tune.

might check out lightningrodder website.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:25 AM
Originally Posted by glc
WRONG!! Those are garbage. With a supercharged engine you need custom tunes written by someone very experienced in that application. There are a few mail order tuning houses that do good work with those, you do not want any kind of CHIP or MODULE, you need a good programming device such as I already mentioned. A programmer uploads tunes through the OBD2 port and are not left connected after the tune is uploaded.

I don't know who the supercharged guys are using, but for regular Ford engines the 2 tuning houses most in favor right now I think are MPT and 5 Star.
i have the stock super charger. Dumb question what does upgraded pulleys do? By the way for cold air hat brand is best, I've been looking for a kit and haven't really found anything.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:44 AM
glc
The factory intake is cold air. Aftermarkets are warm air because it takes air from under the hood, not the fender well. Spend your money on the programmer and tunes, not the intake. Do the "Gotts Mod" to the stock intake.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:37 AM
4# pulley spins the supercharger faster and make more boost. (4 # more on a lighting, about 6# on a harley) you will easily add 60 rwhp with a tune and pulley. but the real story is the power under the curve, you will make a lot more power thruout the range, not just a spike like a lot of modifications do.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by BROTHERDAVE
4# pulley spins the supercharger faster and make more boost. (4 # more on a lighting, about 6# on a harley) you will easily add 60 rwhp with a tune and pulley. but the real story is the power under the curve, you will make a lot more power thruout the range, not just a spike like a lot of modifications do.
the Numbers you are referencing are for what so I don't mess this up (" (4 # more on a lighting, about 6# on a harley))" just trying to keep this truck for a long time.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:20 PM
go to the lightning section of this website , then go to the lightning rodder website, you will have about 10 years worth of great information. your knowledge is so light i hate to tell you what to do. i personally think that just a tune is a waste of time on your truck.

http://www.lightningrodder.com/forum...rchargers.html

Search this Thread