F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Chips, Tuners & Programming (https://www.f150online.com/forums/chips-tuners-programming-34/)
-   -   99 5.4 with Gryphon, broken cable. Next step? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/chips-tuners-programming/500581-99-5-4-gryphon-broken-cable-next-step.html)

jump n 10-19-2014 11:11 PM

99 5.4 with Gryphon, broken cable. Next step?

I have a 99 F150 with a PHP Gryphon (Edge) tune. The dreaded bad cable has finally come home to bite me. My tuner won't communicate with OBD.
I am just wondering, worst case scenario, that IF I can't get a replacement cable, would a new tuner (SCT) be able to clear my current tune back to factory settings? I'm waiting to hear back from Edge about a cable. My future plans include a different 5.4, as my current one is unhealthy with 205,000 miles and a bad head gasket. I want to be able to go back to factory tune so that when I swap engines, I can start from scratch. Any ideas?

jump n 10-21-2014 04:14 PM

Edge states that they no longer make the cable I need. I've heard that PHP won't have the cable either. Anyone have an old working cable I can borrow? I would remove the tune from my truck, call it done with the Gryphon.

MGDfan 10-21-2014 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by jump n (Post 5113473)
Edge states that they no longer make the cable I need. I've heard that PHP won't have the cable either. Anyone have an old working cable I can borrow? I would remove the tune from my truck, call it done with the Gryphon.

Couple options - if'n no one sends you a cable:

1. Dealer will reflash to latest available stock calibration fer ~$100 or so.

2. Send unit to PHP or Edge to extract yer stock tune, put it into a new (current) device, supply a 'stock writer' to allow you to reflash the stock file to yer truck.( Probably cost you more than option 1 though, lol.)

3. Contact an SCT dealer tell 'em yer predicament, and ask them what yer options are.

JackandJanet 10-21-2014 11:09 PM

This is just a thought, that may or may not be valid, since I'm not really familiar with your model year truck - but, in later trucks, the OBD port is powered by the same circuit that powers the cigarette lighter. And, the fuse on that circuit sometimes blows.

Regardless, there is a fuse that protects the OBD circuit. If it is blown, I suspect it would look a lot like a bad Edge cable. Have you checked the condition of the appropriate fuse? You should be able to locate the proper one in your truck owner's manual.

- Jack

jump n 10-22-2014 06:09 PM

It will power up, but gets stuck with "connecting to bridge" and then it's stuck.

JackandJanet 10-22-2014 08:00 PM

And, just checking, you ARE plugging it into the OBD port with the truck's ignition switch in the ON position, right?

- Jack

jump n 10-22-2014 09:12 PM

Yes, that is correct. Plugging in while key is in the "ON" position.

JackandJanet 10-23-2014 10:05 AM

OkeyDokey - since you have PHP tunes, I believe they WILL support you. So, call them. Even if they cannot give you a new cable, I think they will have some way to return your truck's tune to stock, and, they MAY have some other ideas about getting your device to work.

Bill can often work magic if he gets personally involved.

- Jack

jump n 10-24-2014 07:40 PM

Ok, thank you. I will give them a call and report back. Thanks again.

SeanPHPtune 11-10-2014 10:37 AM

We do have a few of the older cables in stock that would fix your problem.

JackandJanet 11-10-2014 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by SeanPHPtune (Post 5117319)
We do have a few of the older cables in stock that would fix your problem.

So, there you are. I TOLD you PHP would support you! :thumbsup:

- Jack