2000 F150 4.2L V6 - Chip or programmer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 07:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 F150 4.2L V6 - Chip or programmer?

Hey,

So I'm dishing some money into my 2000 F150 that's powered by the 4.2L V6. I'm just wondering what my options are for tune, I'm looking for increased torque with better fuel economy. Any idea what's applicable, the chip or the programmer? If it's a programmer, where do I go about getting the custom tunes applied?

My buddy has a programmer that has a control unit mounted on his dashboard so he can switch tunes on the fly from power - torque - fuel efficent whatever he's looking for its there and he can also switch back to the stock tune that came with the truck from the factory.

Thanks,
Brendan

Old 01-03-2012, 01:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure which one your buddy has but its prob. one of the more expensive ones out there.

The 3 most common I've found are Edge Evolution, PHP's Gryphon or something from SCT.

I personally have an Xcal3 from SCT. It currently has tunes loaded on it from Justin at VMP. In the past I have had tunes from Mike at Troyer Performance. Getting a programmer is more cost efficient than just the chip. The programmer will let you datalog and clear trouble codes.

Best starter combo for gaining some hp/tq and mgs is a programmer, tunes, Cold air kit and e-fans. You could also add in an UDP.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:26 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
This one from Troyer performance>>> http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...alogno=SCT6600

Or Power Hungry Performance offers the phoenix flip chip for gas vehicles>>> http://www.gopowerhungry.com/_phoenix.shtml

Handheld programmers are also another option but they're not on the fly operation like the flip chip....

Flip chip also lack end user adjustments....a tuner needs to reburn it if any are needed...

Last edited by 88racing; 01-03-2012 at 11:32 AM.

Quick Reply: 2000 F150 4.2L V6 - Chip or programmer?