Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Programmer by far.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:41 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Programmer/tuner!

Old 12-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i wouldnt trust a programmer without doing either an intake or better flowing exhaust first tho. i dont have a programmer but i do have an intake. intake will add some liveliness but its only about 5-10hp. mostly throttle response is the waking up it does. programmers apparently add about 20hp or so. not sure since i dont have one but the intake is a good thing to do too.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by timmypstyle
i wouldnt trust a programmer without doing either an intake or better flowing exhaust first tho. i dont have a programmer but i do have an intake. intake will add some liveliness but its only about 5-10hp. mostly throttle response is the waking up it does. programmers apparently add about 20hp or so. not sure since i dont have one but the intake is a good thing to do too.
Not sure what you mean. A programmer certainly does not need a CAI. It is the other way around. You don't get full benefit from a CAI and on some engines run the risk of running lean without custom programming.

A tune can add 20 to 30 hp, depending on if it is canned or custom and which engine. A CAI without a tune will do good to add 7 or 8. That can be doubled with a custom tune.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:45 AM
just because your stock air intake and exhaust are restrictive, making your engine run with more power without modifying anything is what i have a problem with. doesnt seem right if adding an intake helps out with power and mileage just from letting the engine get more air, but by adding a program, you get the same result but still have less airflow. seems like you are tricking your computer into getting something it doesnt get. seems it would have to sruggle to suck air from a paper filter in an enclosed box. with an intake, it has the high flow filter to suck thru and open area for the air to come in. IMO i would not get a programmer without an intake and/or exhaust upgrade first, intake first but preferrably both. LET IT BREATHE!!

Old 12-09-2009, 10:47 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
I don't get what you mean... the programmers improve shift points and make the truck more efficient and more powerful becuase of the conservative factory tune Ford put into these trucks. Now what I did was get my exhaust and DWV intake with K&N done and the Gryphon will be shipped as soon as I submit the bill. I understand that you are saying it makes more of a difference, but it really does no harm to the truck to jsut do a programmer.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:51 AM
Global Moderator &

just because your stock air intake and exhaust are restrictive, making your engine run with more power without modifying anything is what i have a problem with. doesnt seem right if adding an intake helps out with power and mileage just from letting the engine get more air, but by adding a program, you get the same result but still have less airflow. seems like you are tricking your computer into getting something it doesnt get. seems it would have to sruggle to suck air from a paper filter in an enclosed box. with an intake, it has the high flow filter to suck thru and open area for the air to come in. IMO i would not get a programmer without an intake and/or exhaust upgrade first, intake first but preferrably both. LET IT BREATHE!!
The computer controls the air/fuel ratio. The stock ratio table can't handle all the extra air without a tune that rebuilds that table. You can put a 10 inch tube on it to let in more air, and it will not improve performance more than what the ratio table is capable of doing. You really need to do a little reasearch/reading before giving advice. If you don't do a custom tune, the Gotts mod is more than adequate as it will provide all the air the fuel table can handle. Plus, if you have a 2004 or 2005 5.4, you run the risk of running lean unless you are custom tuned.

Last edited by Bluejay; 12-09-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:53 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
exactly, a programmer provides much better driveability, if you have a 2 valve motor then do the gotts mod along with a programmer and your truck will drive like a brand new machine (on 91-93 octane) you can use the crappier fuel if you are not tuned for the higher octane and be fine and that's what most people do...

but if your getting a tuner/programmer why not get the best bang for the buck

Old 12-09-2009, 12:01 PM
i dont disagree with all of you. basically just saying that I would never put a programmer on without doing at least the intake first. just dont trust it alone. no matter what you say, you cant change my mind. but since i already have an intake, a programmer would be next, just dont have the $ right now. working on my exhaust. wont be any better flow, just going for looks. i have not heard any exhaust system that is worth buying and putting on the V6. its still a V6 and you can still tell its a V6. my stock system sounds fine to me so i am keeping it. just re-routing it after the rear axle so it is 2 pipes out of the back.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:09 PM
Global Moderator &

i dont disagree with all of you. basically just saying that I would never put a programmer on without doing at least the intake first. just dont trust it alone. no matter what you say, you cant change my mind. but since i already have an intake, a programmer would be next, just dont have the $ right now. working on my exhaust. wont be any better flow, just going for looks. i have not heard any exhaust system that is worth buying and putting on the V6. its still a V6 and you can still tell its a V6. my stock system sounds fine to me so i am keeping it. just re-routing it after the rear axle so it is 2 pipes out of the back.
The problem is that your advice to the OP is not only worthless, but is dangerous in some cases. What you do with your own truck is your business and not a problem. I have run a programmer now for 64,000 miles with no CAI. It is awesome. I could add a CAI with my custom tunes and get maybe 6 or 7 more HP. Not cost effective since I am not racing anyway.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:47 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
i dont disagree with all of you. basically just saying that I would never put a programmer on without doing at least the intake first. just dont trust it alone. no matter what you say, you cant change my mind.
well do not offer any advice to anyone expecially someone with an early 3 valve motor, your "advice" would end up costing someone a motor and maybe more...

Old 12-09-2009, 11:16 PM
sorry, and I don't intend to try and change your mind but I'll just respectfully tell you that you're wrong.

I just installed my Gryphon tuner (canned 87 tow tune) on a bone stock 2007 5.4L. It's like driving a completely different truck. Throttle response is much better, shifting is vastly improved and it's got a ton more get up and go. I can't wait to get my custom performance tune.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:54 AM
?

Originally Posted by Bluejay
The problem is that your advice to the OP is not only worthless, but is dangerous in some cases. What you do with your own truck is your business and not a problem. I have run a programmer now for 64,000 miles with no CAI. It is awesome. I could add a CAI with my custom tunes and get maybe 6 or 7 more HP. Not cost effective since I am not racing anyway.
jim, he'll argue with you all day long, he's the type that believes everythinmg he reads in a magazine is true,like 1/4 mile times,ie-post -"went to the track" in the non street racing forum.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: **Cold Air Intake vs Programmer**