Superchip gone bad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superchip gone bad?

How likely is it that my Superchip went bad? I have a 99 Expedition, 4.6, 225,000 miles with an old-skool Superchip 1100.

For the past few weeks, my mileage has gone way down (from just over 15 to just under 13). Yesterday, while driving, I noticed a low-speed miss that seemed to clear up with more driving.

Today, I was heading to the moves when it started missing terribly. No power at all, wouldn't keep idling. While it was running, the tack dropped to zero for a couple seconds, then came back up. About 30 seconds later, the speedometer did the same thing. The CEL came on briefly, but didn't store a code. After the movie, it started up and ran fine until I got it back home.

I removed the Superchip, and life seems to be better. I ran some errands and didn't notice any further problems. Has anyone else's chip gone bad? Is this maybe a bad connection between the chip and computer that can be fixed?

Old 11-08-2010, 06:52 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Have you been performing any maintenance tasks?

Like......
Fuel filter
Spark plugs
Cleaning TB
Cleaning MAF
O2 sensors

Old 11-08-2010, 07:59 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
^^ X2.

OP - it is possible that a connection problemm exists.

Here's an old post on how to clean it:

==> https://www.f150online.com/forums/1745104-post10.html

Less likely is a corrupted 'burn' (or internal failure of the device) - but still possible as well. If that's the case, you have no recourse but to send it to Superchips for R&R (on yer dime I'd imagine, after warranty expiration).

And that would liklely mean it would make more economic sense to just purchase a current-tech flash programmer.

MGD

Old 11-08-2010, 08:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 88racing
Have you been performing any maintenance tasks?

Like......
Fuel filter
Spark plugs
Cleaning TB
Cleaning MAF
O2 sensors
Yeah, it needed a few things when I bought it. In the last year I've done the following:

New plugs (motorcraft)
New plug wires
cleaned TB
Cleaned MAF sensor
Cleaned EGR ports
New DFPE sensor
New air filter (1 month ago)

I haven't changed O2 or fuel filter, but I don't see how those would cause an intermittent stalling with no codes. It's due for an oil change, so I'll probably have the fuel filter changed at the same time.

MGD-
Thanks for the post. We just got our first taste of cold weather here, and I guess its possible that the change in temperature caused a flakey connection. I bought the truck with the chip in it, with no documentation about who installed it or when the chip was installed. I only discovered it when I was chasing down a leak in the rear window washer line. It's probably worth taking it all apart, cleaning the contacts and reseating the chip.

I think I'll leave it out for a couple weeks anyway, to narrow down whether it's the chip or something else. It'll be nice to buy regular gas anyway.

I'm going to

Quick Reply: Superchip gone bad?