The Gotts Mod Revisited - For 2004+ Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluejay
If PHP's dyno runs are believable, then they really do very little to inhibit. Bill removed the snorkle on a stock intake and on the dyno, it performed very close to the same level as an aftermarket CAI.
My comment was tongue in cheek but just to understand ..."Bill removed the snorkle on a stock intake" meaning the smaller diameter pc that goes into the fender hole as mention in the above posts or he removed all the intake in front of the air box?

Old 03-07-2009, 02:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by 8iron
My comment was tongue in cheek but just to understand ..."Bill removed the snorkle on a stock intake" meaning the smaller diameter pc that goes into the fender hole as mention in the above posts or he removed all the intake in front of the air box?
Yea he just removed the peice entering the fenderwell.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by MOford21
So JandJ, hows the improvement power/throttle response wise? I might try this some weekend when I have free time.
Since I already had a Gryphon in it, and the throttle response is already greatly improved, I haven't noticed any huge difference. Same with the power. I've never felt the need to see what my 0-60 time is, so I didn't try. I doubt you can feel an eight HP increase anyway.

But, I can say there were absolutely NO adverse effects and the engine ran well at high RPM, which it does when I'm pulling our trailer up the 7% or more grade out of Camp Verde for that 5-6 mile stretch there.

Regardless of any observed improvement, doing the mod was fun, and, if a CAI can improve performance, then this one should do it at a fraction of the cost of a commercial one. I always enjoy creating something myself more than buying something someone else has made.

- Jack

Old 03-07-2009, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Since I already had a Gryphon in it, and the throttle response is already greatly improved, I haven't noticed any huge difference. Same with the power. I've never felt the need to see what my 0-60 time is, so I didn't try. I doubt you can feel an eight HP increase anyway.

But, I can say there were absolutely NO adverse effects and the engine ran well at high RPM, which it does when I'm pulling our trailer up the 7% or more grade out of Camp Verde for that 5-6 mile stretch there.

Regardless of any observed improvement, doing the mod was fun, and, if a CAI can improve performance, then this one should do it at a fraction of the cost of a commercial one. I always enjoy creating something myself more than buying something someone else has made.

- Jack
Right, right... I already have custom tunes as well but for $10 it seems like you can't go wrong, especially when an aftermarket intake goes for anywhere from 150 to 300.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thats some great work Jack. I read this over on the PHP forum. Excellent work man.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Hey Jack...glad you posted that over here too. Wish everyone could see the whole different list of mod ideas for the intake.

Great work bud.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:05 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by Drkharbinger
Hey Jack...glad you posted that over here too. Wish everyone could see the whole different list of mod ideas for the intake.

Great work bud.
Go to the PHP forum and look at this thread: http://dygytalworld.ehost-services13...read.php?t=340

It's very long and you'll see my first version was different than the one I posted here. But, there are three other versions by other contributors that I think are way cool too. Read through the whole thread and you'll see some neat ideas.

- Jack

Old 03-08-2009, 12:30 AM
Go to the PHP forum and look at this thread: http://dygytalworld.ehost-services13...read.php?t=340

It's very long and you'll see my first version was different than the one I posted here. But, there are three other versions by other contributors that I think are way cool too. Read through the whole thread and you'll see some neat ideas.

- Jack
Yeah...that's the thread I was referring to.
SinCityFX4 over there.....keep forgetting I have different handles on my newer sites.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by i.ride.suzuki
So is that how you get it off? (in-between your legs and wiggle it back and forth?)

haha... we can get banned 4 this.. adult material

Old 03-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Mod

Just finished mine in about 30-45 minutes
Great idea Jack very quick easy and very affordable

Awesome post thanks Jack

Old 03-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by valleyfreak45
Just finished mine in about 30-45 minutes
Great idea Jack very quick easy and very affordable

Awesome post thanks Jack
Cool! Glad it was helpful.

- Jack

Old 03-09-2009, 11:57 AM
... I can say there were absolutely NO adverse effects and the engine ran well at high RPM ...
How do you know this? Did you put your truck on a dyno and log your A/F's? I'd love to see some empirical data that backs up your statements. Nothing personal, it's just the engineer in me.

- NCSU

Old 03-09-2009, 07:57 PM
I don't know if it was just me, but it felt as if it possibly may have reduced the lag

Old 03-09-2009, 09:59 PM
So... on my 04 with no custom tune, would this be good or bad? Good since it doesn't mess with the mass airflow sensor or bad since it lets in an inch of more volume of air possibly causing it to run lean?

I'm just asking because I was planning on getting the pipe tomorrow and possibly doing it tomorrow depending on time.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
How do you know this? Did you put your truck on a dyno and log your A/F's? I'd love to see some empirical data that backs up your statements. Nothing personal, it's just the engineer in me.

- NCSU
Fair enough! As one engineer to another, NO - I did not put the truck on a dyno and log any "lab" (not real world) results. Please understand, I am not putting down valid testing methods, but, for probably longer than you have been alive, the government has been telling us the performance of these vehicles using dyno tests, that don't really model real driving. The "model" is the thing, isn't it?

So, what do you go with? Some test that SAYS you should like the results because, by God, the testing facility is certified to be the last word on this process, or, do you go with your own, subjective tests, after reading all you can on the process you are trying? People I respect have reported good results with this mod. I did it and drove my truck under fairly demanding conditions and could not discern any adverse effects. Please notice I did not claim any huge positive effects either! I simply reported a "user" observation in the real world, and, I noted the increased potential intake area. What is the fault with that?

- Jack

Quick Reply: The Gotts Mod Revisited - For 2004+ Trucks