F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Chips, Tuners & Programming (https://www.f150online.com/forums/chips-tuners-programming-34/)
-   -   I see Edge problems galore! (https://www.f150online.com/forums/chips-tuners-programming/326350-i-see-edge-problems-galore.html)

KSpencer 03-21-2008 01:53 AM

I see Edge problems galore!

Howdy everyone,

I have not been to this section for awhile, but one thing stands out..."Problems with Edge" posts. Is this tuner that problematic? I have had mine for awhile now without any issues, so why are all of the problems occuring? Please, don't just post "because they are junk" replies as that does not really help. I guess that I am just looking for some good honest answers from people that have had experience with other tuners, too. My reason for getting the Edge was for the combo display, just so you know. I also got mine before hearing about the Livewire.

Stealth 03-21-2008 02:21 AM

99.9% of edge problems are user error.

KSpencer 03-21-2008 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Stealth

I would agree.

Stealth 03-21-2008 03:34 AM

The Edge does so much, and there are plenty of people who just go hook it up without reading the manual. I won't do anything with my Edge unit without referring to the manual first, and I have had mine for almost a year and a half with zero problems.

openclasspro#11 03-21-2008 07:27 AM

edge + aftermarket intake=driveability issue= reason for custom tune

sysman_rick 03-21-2008 11:24 AM

I guess RTFM does not compute. :D

hivoltagefx4 03-21-2008 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by openclasspro#11
edge + aftermarket intake=driveability issue= reason for custom tune

That pretty much sums up the issues with an Edge tuner. My truck started running lean when I used the Edge on my truck. I personally love the Edge. I love the gauges and all. It just did not play nice with my intake/truck. I still do have my Edge, but have since moved onto a Troyer X Cal III tuner with Troyer custom tunes.

ASEMechanic 03-21-2008 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by hivoltagefx4
That pretty much sums up the issues with an Edge tuner. My truck started running lean when I used the Edge on my truck. I personally love the Edge. I love the gauges and all. It just did not play nice with my intake/truck. I still do have my Edge, but have since moved onto a Troyer X Cal III tuner with Troyer custom tunes.

I'd say that 98% of all Edge driveability issues are related to use in conjunction with a CAI kit. Those who are running with stock intake or a drop-in element are generally not having problems. Like OCP said, custom tuning will resolve the CAI issues.

ThumperMX113 03-21-2008 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Stealth

I'd like to see your research for this percentile. :coffee:

kdds05screw 03-21-2008 12:41 PM

Back in 05, I used my Edge, lvl 3 with an Airaid CAI and had no issues at all. ( only a few custom settings for the 93 octane fuel we have here. ) Just simply wanted most power, a tuner programmed for a higher intake air flow was the way to go. For basically the same price and Troyer Performance was 5-5.5 hours away doing regular dyno days a few times a year, went custom. Glad I went that route, no comparison in total driveability and have never had any issues at all with custom tuning on the 05 and 06. There does, however, seem to be quite a few Edge issues/problems posts in the tuner forum though. ( perhaps way more sales ? )

Stealth 03-21-2008 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
I'd like to see your research for this percentile. :coffee:

Research? We don't need no stinking research!

Honestly, the edge does so much more compared to the weak sct tuners anyone with a brain could see why people have issues with the edge, and the vast majority are from user error. It's all about reading comprehension.

KSpencer 03-21-2008 02:35 PM

Thanks for the discussion. You're right about issues with CAI/Edge combos, except for a few. I am trying to diagnose a pinging right now in another thread, but I will not use a CAI with the Edge. I like the way it is right now. One thing I will say about these tuners, one must read the manual before making any kind of changes or even using it the first time. This is just irresponsible.

duece212 03-21-2008 02:52 PM

Give end users more settings in your tuner and you can count on them to screw it up. If SCT had all of the same options unlocked to the end user I'm sure you'd see alot more problems. That can be the detriment or the value add to the edge depending on how you look at it.

LIFTED07 03-21-2008 03:15 PM

well i got an edge and on level 3 it have a miss at 1700 to 1800 rpm no cai no custom tuning just misses is that user error :rolleyes: my trucks an 07 and i had a diablosport and never had any trouble

ASEMechanic 03-21-2008 03:30 PM

No, that is a bona-fide calibration issue and it has been verified by a few different people with similar trucks/calibrations.