Edge Evolution....

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge Evolution....

What can I say? WOW, talk about unleashing the ponies of the 5.4 3 valve. I opted for just the Edge instead of a Gryphon because I have nothing done to my truck except a K&N drop in filter and there's really no point I could see in having a custom map done for a stock truck. Definitely the best money I've ever spent on my truck and wow can I feel a difference. Kudos to Edge Performance for this one. What a great toy!!! By the way don't tell the wife I called it a toy...

Old 02-21-2009, 12:36 AM
I want one myself, just waiting for the tax money. Are you running it on level 2 with 87 octane? Does it noticeably shift alot firmer? I really want more low end grunt and read it adds alot... can you feel that too?

Old 02-21-2009, 01:23 AM
You can absolutely feel it. Im running my new Gryphon on Level 2.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:59 AM
Hey Rider,

Ya the Edge is awesome!!

With the Edge you can increase the pressure of the shift if you want, but you can leave it stock. Personally I tried it and even increasing the shift pressure by 1 unit i found made it shift way to hard. Some may like it, me, nope. With the extra power the you get just from adding the tuner, the shift pressure is hard enough.

However, as for the drop in K&N air filter, did you notice any difference when you installed that?

Id like to do the whole air intake upgarde however I have heard that if you dont combine the air intake with a performance exhaust that the gains are minimal. Basically, more air in means more air out, hence a bigger exhaust. So i thought maybe until i have the cash to do both that I could do just the filter for the time being. What you think?

Thanks

Old 02-21-2009, 09:48 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
I bought my Edge about a year and a half ago to adjust speedo for the taller tires I'm running. I drive about 100 miles a day on my commute and get a consistent 16-18 mpg in a 4x4 screw with 35" tires. I run on level 2 using 87 octane Shell. I have a K&N drop in that's close to 5 yrs old and a Flow 40 exhaust. The mpg figures are about the same as when the truck was stock so I'm happy. A lot better performance too when towing!

Old 02-21-2009, 07:34 PM
Wow, 16-18 with 35's is awsome! I'm only gonna run 33's, but I'm convinced to buy an Edge now.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:19 AM
PawPaw,

How are you calculating your mpg figures? you seem to be getting a lot more miles then im getting. my fill up is usually about 20ish gallons and i have yet to get over 450 KM's (280 miles) to a tank. Im running the on level 3 with 33" tires. No CAI or exhaust. I use the 98 octane gas - but im located in the Middle East - i hear that the octane ratings might be different - i just make sure im running the best fuel they got. My driving is probably only abut 50% highway at the most. I also have a remote starter - so i admit i will loose a few mpg's because i let it run a few minutes before i get driving, but still, the difference seems a lot.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by DXB-F150
PawPaw,

How are you calculating your mpg figures? you seem to be getting a lot more miles then im getting. my fill up is usually about 20ish gallons and i have yet to get over 450 KM's (280 miles) to a tank. Im running the on level 3 with 33" tires. No CAI or exhaust. I use the 98 octane gas - but im located in the Middle East - i hear that the octane ratings might be different - i just make sure im running the best fuel they got. My driving is probably only abut 50% highway at the most. I also have a remote starter - so i admit i will loose a few mpg's because i let it run a few minutes before i get driving, but still, the difference seems a lot.
I basicly bought the Edge to adjust the speedometer and odometer due to the taller tires. My truck trip computer gives me the mpg readout and I check it the old way every now and then. The readings are pretty close. The speed limits that I run on every day are mostly 65 and 55 mph and then drops to 45mph and lower with some traffic lights to boot. When crusing at highway speeds the tall tires act like a double overdrive dropping the rpms down compared to the stock 32" tall tires. The bed cover, exhaust and K&N drop in help out too. Running on flat Louisiana highways helps out also.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by PawPaw
I bought my Edge about a year and a half ago to adjust speedo for the taller tires I'm running. I drive about 100 miles a day on my commute and get a consistent 16-18 mpg in a 4x4 screw with 35" tires. I run on level 2 using 87 octane Shell. I have a K&N drop in that's close to 5 yrs old and a Flow 40 exhaust. The mpg figures are about the same as when the truck was stock so I'm happy. A lot better performance too when towing!
Pawpaw,
I just ordered an edge it should be here this monday. I was wondering though, you said you were getting 16-18 with your 35's..what gears do you have now? I have 4.56's with my 35's but I cant ger a real accurate mpg because of my speedo is off. With the gears and the edge what would you guess ill do for mpg on the hiway?

Old 02-22-2009, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by noblem
Pawpaw,
I just ordered an edge it should be here this monday. I was wondering though, you said you were getting 16-18 with your 35's..what gears do you have now? I have 4.56's with my 35's but I cant ger a real accurate mpg because of my speedo is off. With the gears and the edge what would you guess ill do for mpg on the hiway?
I'm running the stock 3.73's and I figure the 35's drop that down close to the 3.50 range. When you get your Edge go to custom settings and enter 4.56 for gearing and you have to convert your tire circumfrence from inches to milimeters I used 2660mm for mine. They give you the formula in the Edge manual so don't worry. Since your truck is lifted and with the 4.56 gear's I'd say on the highway at say 65mph you ought to get about 15-16 mpg. With the gears and the programmer your truck's performance ought to be great. Let me know how it work's out.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Awesome, I'm pretty excited because of what everyone says about them. I'll let you know how it works out for sure!

Old 02-24-2009, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by poo_
I want one myself, just waiting for the tax money. Are you running it on level 2 with 87 octane? Does it noticeably shift alot firmer? I really want more low end grunt and read it adds alot... can you feel that too?
That's what I had to do was wait on my tax money. I have ran it on all 3 levels and level 2 with 87 octane runs like a scalded dog in my big heavy truck. Shifts are perfect and added low end grunt is amazing. I am gonna switch it back to stock and run my 0-60 times and then back to levels 2 and 3 to see which is best. IMO it's worth every penny of the $360 I paid for mine.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:18 PM
Hey Rider,

Ya the Edge is awesome!!

With the Edge you can increase the pressure of the shift if you want, but you can leave it stock. Personally I tried it and even increasing the shift pressure by 1 unit i found made it shift way to hard. Some may like it, me, nope. With the extra power the you get just from adding the tuner, the shift pressure is hard enough.

However, as for the drop in K&N air filter, did you notice any difference when you installed that?

Id like to do the whole air intake upgarde however I have heard that if you dont combine the air intake with a performance exhaust that the gains are minimal. Basically, more air in means more air out, hence a bigger exhaust. So i thought maybe until i have the cash to do both that I could do just the filter for the time being. What you think?

Thanks
I did notice some difference in the K&N versus the paper Wix but not enough to worry about performance. Now if you were on a long trip I'd definitely run the K&N to improve mileage. I know for a fact it does improve that. To get the most of the CAI you do need a more free flowing exhaust but you will notice a small difference with just the CAI kit if you plan to go that way. What this programmer does is amplify and fine tune the improvements that you have made. And personally I wouldn't necessarily go "bigger" but definitely more free flowing as I mentioned for the exhaust.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:21 PM
PawPaw,

I hope the octane ratings are calculated differently there because that's way too much octane for these motors IMHO...

Old 03-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Hey Rider,

Thanks for that. Maybe my terminology of 'bigger' didnt exactly express what I was trying to say, but rather as you said, more 'free flowing' is what I should have said. That would work better with the concept of "more air in, more air out".

As for the octane, i have no idea how to even check or compare how it was calculated or how it ranks with the ratings back in North America!! Any ideas?

Any thought on the MPG?

Quick Reply: Edge Evolution....