Mike Troyer I Have a Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 01:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike Troyer I Have a Question

I have a 06 F150 CC Lariat 4X4 with 17,700 miles on it. It's currently in the shop for the 4th time having transmission work done to it. The problem is the same every time I take it back to the dealer.

During the 1-2 shift there is a shudder that can be felt throughout the truck. Sometimes you can hear the gears grinding inside the transmission. This only occurs at light throttle driving such as stop and go traffic (shifts under 2000 rpm). It works fine for the first 1000 miles or so after I pick it up from the dealer then it starts acting up. Ford installed heavier duty clutches in 1st and 2nd gear last time.

What can you tell me about Ford's PCM programming during the 1-2 shift? I believe part of my problem could be related to the PCM. Have you seen anything in Fords programming that doesn't seem right?

I'd like to purchase the stage one kit from you, but I'm a little hesitant to do so after all the repairs my transmission has had. Ford hasn't replaced the transmission yet. Can Ford detect that a tuner has been installed even after you return the truck back to stock prior to taking it to the dealer. I want to try a tuner because I really don't like how slow this transmission shifts.

Thanks

Old 06-11-2007, 10:09 AM
memsu - thought I would throw my .02 in here, as I had what sounds like exactly same issue, but on an 05. I had an 05 Lariat - build date 01/05 , pcm code tem7, as well as my bro had 05 FX4 with pcm code of tem6. Both had a real bad 1-2 shift at low rpm. Kinda would make you cringe when it happened. Ended up a pcm reflash fixed it, then Mike built my tune off the reflashed bkp1 pcm code. PCM reflash also fixed my bro's truck as well.

See if there is a reflash code for your pcm and have dealer do it. There was a link in motorcractservice.com that had pcm code xref's but it appears to be a bad link now. Maybe some other members know where you could get this, or definately the Troyer folks could xref the latest code for your pcm and build you a set of tunes off it.

good luck

Old 06-19-2007, 05:14 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi memsu,

Actually, Ford changed the 4R75-E's valve body part way thru the 2005 model year, but in some cases did not use a compatible PCM strategy - that is the only reason (IMHO) there are a few of those trucks (usually TEM-series codes that get reflashed to BKP1) that saw improvement from the flash - it was a mis-match between hardware and PCM revision, as BKP1 is not any "better" than the TEM5, 6 or 7 codes, etc., unless there is a mis-match between the tranny hardware and the PCM revision.

While there are only a couple of different valve bodies, there are *thousands* of different strategies for the PCM in the 2004 & up F-150 - some feel a bit "better" than others, but as a tuner I am not particularly impressed with any of them - though a few of the 2007's look a bit better, they all need work - but then I'm a performance tuner, so I'm going to say that - and I mean no offense to the folks at Ford who do transmission calibrations, as their job is to make them "smooth" - not to make them last 200K miles, and I have found that they do not necessarily know when a particular hardware change is made on a given production line, they simply do what they are told.

In some very rare cases there may be a mis-match of the PCM strategy with the tranny revision - extremely rare, but there are a few, and that may be the case with your truck, I really can't say.

What I *would* say is this - as much as I'd love to sell you what you want, I think in your case it's only smart to get that transmission fixed and get enough miles on it so that you feel confident enough that you are not going to have a quick repeat failure - and *then* let's start with your modifications.

And no, Ford cannot tell if the truck has been tuned once you return it back to stock. Though there are all kinds of myths, the IDS system cannot count the number of times the PCM has been flashed, etc., so no, they are not going to know. Additionally, when we tune these vehicles we do not do anything that is going to hurt the transmission - in fact, they usually last longer, at least the friction materials like the bands & clutches last longer, thanks to the reduced slippage.

I really cannot tell you any more than that - you may well have had a case of a mis-match between the PCM revision and the tranny hardware - that has apparently happened in a few cases, so that may be your root problem - and if so, then a new tranny and a reflashed PCM would take care of it.

Overall, these 4R75-E transmissions in the 2004 & up 5,4 3V F-150's are very reliable, and take a lot of power if treated and maintained well - we typically run them up to 400 RWHP with no problems and they last well in our experience, so what you have been thru is absolutely not normal.

I hope that brief info helps a bit, and best of luck in getting Ford to get that darned thing fixed right for you so you can do your mods and really enjoy it!

Old 06-20-2007, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the excellent reply Mike. I just got a call from the dealer and they had some engineers at Ford look at the problem. I can't remember exactly what they said, but it seemed like they found an out of spec piston casing in the transmission. I'll know more when I get the service report next week.

I'll put this transmission to the test before I add a tuner. I'm definitely going with your stage 1 performance package now.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny you mention something like this as I have a small shudder in my 06' as well, but no grinding. Hmmm....

Old 06-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Got my truck back from the dealer and found out the problem. The piston casing for the number 1 piston in the transmission would heat up and deform causing the piston to stick. The problem would be more pronounced after a long drive and then getting in heavy traffic with frequent 1-2 shifts.

If they would have just replaced the transmission to begin with I wouldn't have had to take it to the dealer 4 times. I'm about to put it through the test now. I'm making a trip to Colorado and I'll be towing a trailer for about 800 miles.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi memsu,

Thanks for letting us know what happened - that makes perfect sense - wow that is really off, having an out of spec piston, very rare for Ford. When that happens, usually it's a batch run, and will affect a number of trucks - not a large number, but certainly at least a few.

And that being the case, this should now be an easy fix for you - I hate that you went thru having to make several trips to get it diagnosed properly, but hopefully now it will be OK - I wish you the best of luck on that trip & we'll talk to you soon!

Quick Reply: Mike Troyer I Have a Question