Self Tuning

Old 12-10-2004, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Self Tuning

Can anyone direct me to some software that would allow me to tune my own superchip or similar. I have a 01 Screw with a lightning motor and 4r70w tranny and well this mail order stuff is to time consuming. There are any speed shops in the area that are familar with the Lightning so i don't trust them. I was curious if anyone has any experience.

Old 12-10-2004, 09:49 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi brahmus;

You have some choices. All the details are at www.sctflash.com.

You can become an SCT Dealer ( see the web site for details & qualifications) - this will cost you $$$ and you will be starting from scratch - and I believe experience is crucial to avoiding blowing up your truck. You will have accesss to their Advantage software, PCM codes, and technical help. You can pick which device(s) to use to apply tuning.

I think you can also acquire 'Racer Pro' status for a price and receive similar capabilities without becoming a Dealer - not sure - check with them, Either way, big bucks and you'll be facing a learning curve, IMHO. I'm a computer professional and it is a little daunting to me; I don''t have a spare motor lying around, nor would my friends appreciate it if I fried their trucks while practicing the art of custom tuning ;-))

Or, you can get an SCT 9300 at Troyer Performance, have Mike ( who has LOTS of experience AND knows Lightnings ) do an initial custom tune(s), and then with the proper options ( software & cable), he can email you updates for you to reflash your 9300, for subsequent upload into the truck PCM. For this you will need a Windows 9x/XP pc.

Finally, if you go with either the 9300 or manage to snag an SCT 9100 before they disappear ( what I did ), wait a week or so - SCT is releasing 'QuickTune 2005' free with a purchase of either unit. Will be available as a free download from either SCT or a Dealer ( e.g. Troyer). Again - see the SCT site ( check the 'brochures' section) for details. What QuickTune 2005 will allow you to do is 'fine tune' many parameters of the base tune file initially configured by your Dealer, using you pc/laptop to 'edit' the base tune file and upload into the 9100/9300, then into your truck.

Quicktune is nowhere near as powerful as Advantage, but you will unlikely be able to f**k up the tuning grossly enough to blow up your truck, as the major bulk of the tuning is handled by the Dealer in the base tune file, which is where the benefit of the Dealer's experience is evident. This approach will also lessen the need to have the Dealer provide email updates for minor stuff like gearing / tire size / shift firmness / shift point change - you will be able to do those yourself.

As of this date, SCT has not released Quicktune 2005 Check the forums on the SCT site for updates on the availability of this software and other stuff. And you can chat with the guys who are actually doing what you are contemplating. Register and have at it !

Did I answer your question?

Cheers!

MGDfan

Old 12-11-2004, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Follow this link to a tuning package

http://www.modulardepot.com/product_...5a56017058a26f

I believe Troyer Perfromance can also hook you up with the Pro Racer Package.

However, as MGDfan said there will be a learning curve.

BTW, Raider has purchased this package and I believe Pilot used one before he became a dealer.

Check with them over at

www.got-pressure.com/yabbse/index.php

Last edited by rgerlofs; 12-11-2004 at 11:16 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Self Tuning