Question for Mike T. & Others

Old 04-21-2001, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question for Mike T. & Others

Hi

This is old stuff, i have the info. somewhere but as usual cant find it.

So would appreciate an update & actual experiences. Thanks.

Regarding chip & going to dealer. Another person says they had a big hassle etc.

Truck under warranty.
Superchip installed.
Engine running bad, trouble light comes on.

Lets assume that a trouble code/s have been thrown. So there now being stored in memory.

You finally decide to take truck in. I recall the part about taking the chip out(before service) to just make life easier,etc. So....

You decide to pull chip, But first- whats the procedure? I assume the trouble light stays on after you pull chip? If i disconnect battery & pull chip, does that erase codes? Just curious.

I havent experienced this yet, but would like to be prepared,im still under warranty.
Ok, so remembering "I want to take chip out before going in" What do i do?
Thanks, Have a good one. OT

Old 04-22-2001, 03:17 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Old Timer,

Disconnect your battery, and remove the Superchip. Then with the Superchip removed and the battery still disconnected, turn your headlights on for 5 minutes; they won't come on of course, this is done just to drain all residual voltage from IC's & caps so the computer's memory is fully cleared. After 5 minutes turn the headlights back off, then re-connect the battery, and drive wherever you need to.

Just removing the Superchip is not going to make a check engine light go off unless there is an obvious problem with the connection between the Superchip and the computer, but disconnecting the battery will. If it was just a temporary condition, the check engine light won't come back on, so you know you don't have a problem requiring service, but if it's a real problem, that code is going to happen again and throw the check engine light once again, meaning it's time to have the ECU scanned for those error codes to see what the likely culprit is.

Actually, we think it's a good idea for anyone who is doing modifications to their vehicle to have a decent OBD-II (meaning for 1996 & newer vehicles) Ford scan tool, or to share one with a friend, etc. It's cheap compared to taking the time out to go to your dealer, and you can scan for the codes yourself. That doesn't necessarily mean that anyone can correctly diagnose teh exact problem all teh time with a scan tool, that takes training, but it lets you know what system is reporting what problem, which is extremely handy knowledge to have. And, you can even leave the Superchip in place while you do that if you want, you'll just need to ignore the P0605 error code that will always appear anytime any performance chip is installed ion any Ford computer, as it's just a message noting that the ECU's internal eprom chip is not functioning. This is supposed to happen, ands should be ignored, as it goes away the instant the chip is removed, as the ECU's internal chip switch back on automatically.

If you'd like to go over this in more detail Old Timer, please feel free to give us a call.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 04-22-2001, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi Mike, Tks. Thats what i was looking for.

If i understand your reply, disconnect batt. etc, causes computer to revert back to factory program, etc.

Trouble light may or maynot come back on.

Ok got it, so....

I assume that means the schip. program has been "completely" removed from the pcm. So only factory program is in place. PCM does not remember schip paid it a visit. HA

Tks. for tips. Have a good one. OT

Old 04-23-2001, 02:52 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You got it, exactly!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question for Mike T. & Others