F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Chips, Tuners & Programming (https://www.f150online.com/forums/chips-tuners-programming-34/)
-   -   Mid-Octane Fuel (https://www.f150online.com/forums/chips-tuners-programming/15231-mid-octane-fuel.html)

DougS 04-23-1999 03:28 PM

Mid-Octane Fuel

I have had my Superchip installed in my F-250 Superduty, 5.4L for about 2 months now, and I love it. But with the gas prices lately, I have a question.

I know there has been some discussions about what happens when you use low (87) Octane fuel (pinging), what about using 89 Octane. I understand the Superchip is designed for at least 90, is 89 that much different?

Around my area, (I don't know if it is the same all over the country), we seem to have 87, 89, & 93 Octane gas at most stations (Sunoco also has 91 in addition to the other three). The price difference also seems to be about the same at the different stations, 10 cents more between each level, so I pay 20 cents more for 93 than 87. Now, I have also increase my MPG from 9-10 to 12-13 with the Superchip, so I don't know if the increase in mileage offset the 20 cent increase per gallon.

But anyway back to the original question, will 89 Octane work? And will it lower my MPG?

Mike, what do you think?

Doug.

rmarietta 04-23-1999 07:52 PM

DougS... You stated you mileage went from 10 to 13, this is a 30% increase. The cost you said is 20 cents more per gal. Well if your base for regular is $1.00 per gal, this is only a 20% increase in cost. If the base cost per gal is higher, the 20 cents is less than 20%. Man, burn the best.

[This message has been edited by rmarietta (edited 04-23-99).]

[This message has been edited by rmarietta (edited 04-23-99).]

Superchips_Distributor 04-24-1999 02:56 PM

Dear DougS,

That's exactly right, by using the Superchip and burning premium, you are actually spending LESS money overall for gasoline, Doug. Going from 9 to 13 mpg is a 44% improvement in fuel mileage, and going from 10 to 13 is a 30% improvement, and either of these figures by far outweighs the additional cost per gallon of premium, because you are burning fewer gallons now. The bottom line is the actual outlay for fuel, not what you pay per gallon. I always recommend using the highest octane and best gasoline quality you can find, so you get the best detergent additives, and all the other benefits.

Sounds like you've got a win-win result there, Doug. I wouldn't think about going back to 89, because you are going to see less power, and less fuel mileage. How much less is anyone's guess, but it's going to be enough to count in the pocketbook. With the results you're getting, in my opinion, you shouldn't think about using anything less than premium, which in your area is 93 octane. We are programming them for about 90.5-91 octane, to compensate for certain areas of the country where premium is only 91 octane, so you could drop back to 91 octane, but that does NOT mean you can use 89 succesfully. The product was designed for premium fuel, and you will always get the best results, both in terms of power and fuel mileage, by using the best available premium, like the product was designed for, so that would be my suggestion.

Talk about some fine gas mileage improvements with the Superchip, those F-250's are a great example!

Have fun, & enjoy your Superchip!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

fordman2 04-27-1999 04:31 PM

I had to respond to this as I'm about to install my new superchip tonight or tomorrow. I had done a lot of research before I had decided to buy mine and big on my list were increase mileage (I have 25,000 miles clocked in the last 5 months) and warranty. here are some numbers for you Doug that I hope puts you at ease as it did me.

Assuming a 25 gallon gas tank, $1.00/gallon for 87 octane, $1.20 for 93 octane.
87 octane= $1.00/gal X 25 gals. =$25.00
93 octane= $1.20/gal X 25 gals. =$30.00
Using your best mpg for both types
87 octane= 10mpg X 25 gals= 250 miles/tank
93 octane= 13mpg X 25 gals= 325 miles/tank

If you divide the miles per tank into the cost per tank the results are:

87 octane = $0.10/mile
93 octane = $0.09/mile

So, not only dose it cost you less to drive but you get all the extras with it.

Can't wait to put mine in.

------------------
Fordman2
1998 F-150S/C w/5.4

DougS 04-28-1999 01:22 PM

Thanks for the reply guys. I guess I will just stick with my 93 Octane and enjoy the power.

Doug.

MarkS 04-29-1999 03:25 AM

I have been doing some experimenting with different grades of gasoline to check compatability with my superchip.

Background:
1999 Ford F-150 SC 4x4 ORP 5.4
Installed Superchip early February.
All grades of gas were Shell brand.
Mostly city driving.
Driver has a lead foot.

93 octane:
There is no pinging whatsoever. Engine runs strong. 10-12 mpg.
89 octane:
No engine pinging. Engine runs strong. 11-12 mpg.
87 octane:
Mild pinging heard once during hard acceleration. Engine runs strong. 11-12 mpg.

------------------
MarkS
1999 F-150 XLT 4x4 ORP SC SB
5.4, 3.73, & Superchip.

[This message has been edited by MarkS (edited 07-10-1999).]

Tina 04-29-1999 09:04 AM

MarkS: Maybe they sent you an experimental flipchip instead. https://www.f150online.com/f150board/smile.gif Or maybe that gas brand is very good.

ALA G8R 04-29-1999 09:18 AM

I have had no problems mixing Shell 89 with Shell 93. I'll try Shell 89 by itself and see what happens. Thanks for the report MarkS.

------------------
97 Lariet SC Flareside 4x4, Red w/Silver trim, ORP, 5.4L, 3.55LS, Westin Nerf Bars, Superchip, K&N w/ Airbox Mod, Flowmaster, LeBra Low Profile Soft Tonneau, Bug shield, Bel 615 STI Radar Detecter

JMC 04-30-1999 10:31 AM

DougS,

I have had a Superchips since 1997. I have a 4.6L 5 speed so I can make the engine lug anytime I want. I have used 87 in mine and as long as the engine doesn't lug it won't ping. With 89 it never pings. I find that the higher octane I use the more power it produces. You cannot notice the difference as much if your truck is not working ie; towing or racing but there is a difference. I am using 93 now since my April trip to the Dunes and I have noticed a difference in power from the 89 I was using.
My truck will do 100 mph in 3rd on 93 but I loose 5 mph with 87.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

------------------
97 F150 4x4 SC ORP 4.6 5 spd 3.55 LSD
K&N, Borla, Superchips,"El Cheapo" Air Box Mod
Leer Cap, SmittyBilt nerfs, Warn XD9000i Semi-hidden
Hella Ralley 4000s.

JOHNNY BONDS 04-30-1999 03:16 PM

Question for Mike Troyer......I just read your post on the chip being programmed for 91 octain. I live in a part of the country where it isn't available, jumps from 89 to 93. My question is, can the chip be re-programmed for 93 octain and is it worth the effort? If it is, about how much am I looking at for the re-program(I know you don't quote your prices, I'm talking about if I took it back to the dealer where I bought it)? My truck is 98 Nascar edition, 4.6, 3.73, code FOU1 (I think).

nomo 05-01-1999 05:49 PM

Johnny Bonds:

I think that 91 is the recommended "minimum". I run Citgo 93 exclusively in my '97 Expedition (& now my '93 F150 https://www.f150online.com/f150board/smile.gif). I don't like getting the 89, 90, or 91 octanes because they are "blended" at the pump. I've had no problems and both vehicles run great.

Neal

MarkS 05-01-1999 11:54 PM

nomo,
I work for Shell Chemical (Used to be Shell Oil) and all gasolines are blended at the refinery. Each grade of gasoline must be certified with a Certificate of Analysis BEFORE being shipped from the refinery. If the gas is being blended at the station, then I would stay away from that particular brand of gas.

BTW on a topic related note, I filled up today, and on my last tank with 89 octane I averaged 12.5 MPG. That's the best mileage since I got the Superchip. My usual MPG is between 11 and 12.

------------------
MarkS
1999 F-150 XLT 4x4 ORP SC SB
5.4, 3.73, & Superchip.

Superchips_Distributor 05-02-1999 12:56 AM

JMC makes an excellent point.....those of you using less than premium fuel will not get all the benefit from the Superchip, either in performance or in fuel mileage. Your knock sensor is eliminating any detonation before you can hear it, by cycling back the spark advance. this is transparent to the driver.

Like JMC said, there *is* going to be a difference between using 89, and using premium fuel, which is what the product was designed for.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Superchips_Distributor 05-04-1999 11:57 AM

MarkS,

Considering your background, and a comment you made here regarding where the gas is blended, I wanted to ask you....

Is this difference of being blended at the refinery vs at the pump something that we will generally find being done at off-brand gas stations, or is this something that differs for even the major oil co's.?

Also, if you wouldn't mind, could you expand just a bit on why we would want to avoid gas that is blended at the pump? Are these stations taking regular (87) and premium (91+) and mixing them at the pump to obtain the mid-grade gasolines(89)which is what I would assume? If so, are there any consumer protections to insure what is delivered from the pumps regardless of where it is purchased?

Sorry for all the questions, but I thought these might be things that all of us would like to know, if you have the time.
Thanks in advance,

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

BJohnston 05-04-1999 07:37 PM

I just learned something, MarkS works across the street from me. Wow small world.

Anyway, to answer your question Mike. The gasoline is certified before it leaves the refinery for octane, however it is only a stepchild at this point. The gasoline does not take on an identity until the performance additive package is added at a blending facility. I am sure you are familiar with these, Chevron calls theirs Techron, and there are many others. They all have to meet government-mandated standards. The bottom line is that Shell gasoline may actually become Mobil or Texaco or whoever buys it from the refinery. All Refiners buy gas from other refiners to meet supply requirements.

I don't know of any gasoline actually blended at the "pump", meaning where you and I can buy gas.

If you want to know who has the best gas, must people use a test called the BMW test. This test uses a full-scale engine, burning the fuel of choice for a specified period of time. After that time period the motor is torn down and all combustion related parts are weighed for deposit calculations. The idea is that you want to minimize deposit formation.

In my experience, I have found that some of the smaller independents actually "give away" more octane than the majors (IE Shell). This is due to the simple fact that Shell is more computer controlled and better optimized to prevent "giving away" octane. However, the independents may use low price additives.

So, to sum up what I am saying.

1.) Gasoline is not branded until the additive package is added. (I have seen Mobil, Chevron and other additives side by side using the same gasoline at a blend station.)

2.) Your best bet is to use gasoline that does not make your motor ping.

3.) Fill up at places where there is a lot of traffic. Turn over keeps the tank from de stabilizing

------------------
99 SC 4X4 5.4 ORP 3.73LS Lariat Black over Gold on Tan.
Mods-K&N FIPK,Superchip,Dual Flowmasters,Westin Nerf Bars, 305/70/16 GY M/T's