Been gone a few days.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 02:00 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Been gone a few days.......

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to make a quick post to say I'm back...

This past 5 days has been crazy, due to a combination of a computer crash & failed UPS due to the 2 major snow/ice storms we've just had - as may of you have seen, this past week we've had 2 major snow/ice events here in the East, and we've been affected, as many others were.

All orders went out as usual and on time (with the exception of custom tunes), but we were not able to get by here too, and keep up with everything else while the power was out & getting the main system back on line.

All seems to be almost back to normal as of about 2:30 am this morning, so I'll be getting everyone's questions answered that have built up over the past few days just as quickly as possible.

Thanks for your understanding, & our bests to all those who went thru those 2 big snow/ice storm events as we did - it wasn't fun!

See you in the threads,

Mike

Old 02-12-2004, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HI Mike...sorry to hear about the environmental problems...we've had some ice in Illinois, but not quite that bad.

I was anticipating that my chip for my V6 would have arrived, but I fully understand how quickly things can get backed up...I would certainly prefer to wait for perfection...

In anticipation of the chip coming, I opted to run a couple of tanks of 93 octane the the V6 so I would be able to pop in the chip...

I was really surprised...by the time I got 1/2 way thru the 2nd tank, the truck was running really terrible...downshifting on the slightest hill, reduced low end torque, etc.

I got down to a quarter tank and filled it with 87 octane...after 100 miles is is running a lot better...less downshifting and my low end torque came back...I had no idea that the engine would be so sensitive to the change in fuel.

Actually, I am hoping this is a good sign. Ultimately, I hope it was be as sensitive to the chip and 93 octane, only in a positive way...

Anyway, I hope things get back to normal for you soon...

Old 02-12-2004, 07:28 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi David,

Talk about timing - about an hour after I called you to let you know the status, I saw your post here!

Thanks for posting that info about how the power was noticeably reduced by using premium gas on the factory program - that certainly can happen, and it's due to the higher octane fuel taking longer to light off & start burning as compared to the 87 octane - what happens is, the engine ends up not having enough time to burn enough of the higher octane air/fuel mixture, and power is reduced as a result, as well as fuel mileage dropping - heck, you can even get a check engine light from that, too. Many of the owners manuals for these vehicles specifically warn about this, and tell their owners not to use anything other than 87 octane because of this. The use of a performance chip that retunes the engine properly for the use of premium fuel negates that concern.

In a best case scenario, it can sometimes work out OK and even pick up about 3-5 HP - but it can also be just the opposite, and have exactly what you experienced happen. Now that doesn't hurt the engine at all when that happens (meaning using premium on the stock program which is designed for 87 octane), you just get less power and fuel mileage, and in extreme cases, a check engine light. All of that returns to normal when you go back to 87 octane, or when you install the Superchip.

Your new custom program is done, so it will ship out of here tomorrow - it'll be interesting to see what you think of the new tune once you've had it for a little while, I think you're really going to like what it does for that 4.2 V6.

Old 02-13-2004, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HI MIKE

I sure appreciated the courtesy call regarding the unfortunate delay in programming my Superchip...it really shows customer concern and business professionalism.

I teach business in a college, and I hope you don't mind, but I shcard my experience with them this morning...it fell right in to the concepts of valuing the customer, 80/20 rule and a few other topics in the class. Anyway, it served for a good discussion for my students...thanks

Thanks too, for the lesson on the octane variations vs. power. It sure makes perfect sense. I learn more every day!!!

Again, lookiing forward to installing the Superchip and I will be sure to let you know how it runs...I anticipate a good all around driving experience...thanks again.