F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Care & Detailing (https://www.f150online.com/forums/care-detailing-22/)
-   -   Motorcraft 5w-20 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/care-detailing/66835-motorcraft-5w-20-a.html)

WOLVERINE 02-15-2002 07:56 PM

Motorcraft 5w-20

Tonight I went to AutoZone and I saw some Motorcraft 5w-20 for $1.49 a qt. I've been running Valvoline Durablend 5w-30 since I bought my truck new(2001). The truck now has 11,000 miles on it. Would it hurt anything to switch to the Motorcraft 5w-20? You know, so I can stay in the good graces with the dealer in case anything goes wrong with my engine? I'd rather stay in spec with the 5w-20, if you know what I mean. TIA.,,,,Joe

2002gray-ghost 02-15-2002 09:02 PM

Joe, I'm gonna do the same thing (see my sig)...I want to make sure there is no chance my extended warrenty can be voided...I know about the Magnusson-Moss act, but I am conservative by nature w/my vehicles....don't want to take any chances

I read in another thread that Motorcraft oil is made by Valvoline which is my favorite oil, and I will go to a full synthetic 5w-20 when it is made (hopefully by valvoline)

I don't think you switching back to 5-20 will cause any harm at all..folks up north use diff weights depending on the season...

this is a very hot topic on this board...everyone has their own opinion...

WOLVERINE 02-15-2002 09:33 PM

Thanks 2002grey-ghost. I'll switch to the motorcraft 5w-20 since they are basically the same oil. I didn't know that motorcraft oil was made Valvoline. That's cool. Later man.

2002gray-ghost 02-15-2002 09:47 PM

NO problem Wolverine....

Keep in mind that this is what I am doing, but if you ask this question to 100 people you will get 100 different answers.

The thread I read earlier; the guy was a truck driver and said when he picks up Valvloine at the refinery, they also have loads of Motorcraft from the same place...he asked a guy who works there and he said they made both brands there, no difference that he knew about...

Do what you feel comfortable with, dino/blend/full syn, (when it is out), and change the oil/fiilter on regular intervals and you should be fine

PS; Motorcraft filters are made by Purolator...

pkagel 02-19-2002 02:34 PM

what's wrong with the compromise is that the dino portion of the oil will break down and the synthetic won't leaving you with basically two different weights of oil in your truck. best bet is to go with full synthetic (amsoil makes 5w-20) and raise your change intervals to about 5k and always use either purolator(motorcraft) or mobil 1 filters. do this only after you have properly broke in the engine though at about 8-10k miles.

model a 02-20-2002 05:17 PM

Contrary to what some vendors would like us to believe, crude based motor oil is pretty good stuff. If you use good branded oil and filters, change when recommended, don't run it without coolant, the engine will last a lot longer than you will own the vehicle. Most US vehicle manufacturers target 150,000 miles as the average engine's life before major overhaul. As to the "dino" oil changing viscosity or vaporizing, not enough to be harmful in 5,000 miles. Synthetics change viscosity too, just not as rapidly as dino. Actually, most synthetic base stocks originate from oil or gas wells so they are dino oil too. (You get the exact same amount of dinosaur teeth, hair, and eyeballs in Mobil 1 as Exxon 10W30.) Big trucks were running 400,000 miles between major overhauls back in the '50s and doing it on Shell Rotella T. That was when synthetics were just used in big air compressors (Celulube), jet engines and specialty applications. If using a high priced synthetic makes you feel better, boosts your ego, makes your sig look better, makes your Thomas smile, then it is most definately for you. Will it free up horsepower and make your engine last a whole lot longer? I don't think so. If someone has seen independent research that says differently I would enjoy reading it. Years ago, it was Bardahl, STP, Motor Honey, later it was Slick50 that people swore made their engines run better. How 'bout them $6 Splitfires?
Bottom line. Do synthetics have better specs? Yes. Does a gasoline pickup truck engine need that extra low pour point and high flash point? Perhaps 1 in 50,000. At $1.49/quart Motorcraft 5W20 is a good value for a very good motor oil. A Rolex is a great impression maker at the local nightclub, but if you want to know the exact time, get a Seiko.
my $.08, thats 2 cents 4 times too long.

ps. I don't consider reading amway oil's web site "independent research" with it's baseball caps and laundry detergent.

pkagel 02-20-2002 09:24 PM

the thomas thing is my sisters, i am not quite that obsessive. btw, what year and model of Model A do you own?

mjhpadi 02-20-2002 11:01 PM

I was at Wal-Mart the other day and they have the Motorcraft
5W-20 for #1.33 a quart. By the way the owners manuel for my wifes 2002 Explorer recommends 5W-20 for the 4.6. Since my truck is a 98 and recommended weight was 5W-30, I was wondering is the recommended weight oil for the 4.6 5W-20 or 30?

model a 02-21-2002 11:06 PM

pkagel

I had a couple of model a's back when dinosaurs still roamed and before they went into the oil business. The first was a 2 door that I later put a coupe body on and installed a '46 flathead V-8, juice brakes, etc etc. That is heresy now but then it was common. I had a lot of fun with that car. Later, I had a 4 door. Both were '31s. I knew that Thomas was Skagel's (or Skagel was Thomas') but about that time I was in the rant and rave mode. By the way, I bet you know what STNP stands for, being a nuke and all.

model a

pkagel 02-22-2002 01:12 PM

ok, ya got me on the stnp thing, i've asked a retired mustang lcdr and several other people here at the plant and can't figure out what it stands for short of south texas nuclear plant, what is it???

model a 02-22-2002 09:30 PM

pkagel and mjhpadi

p
You got it, well, South Texas Nuclear Project. Thought you might have been there. Naaah, that was too long ago. What's your Model A?

mj
5W30 for the '98
5W20 for the new one
Don't know if Ford has revised specs for the '98 but would like to know as I have a '98 5.4 myself.

anteater 02-22-2002 11:34 PM

I've had very good luck and many miles of motoring on Pennzoil. It's just as good as the rest, and I use Motorcraft filters. Are they the best? I don't know, but they were designed to be used in FoMoCo vehicles. I do the same with plugs, motorcraft. On my daughters Buick I used AC Delco. Stick with what was designed for the vehicle and use a good regular oil, every 3-5 k miles. Happy Motoring!

sundog7 02-23-2002 09:37 AM

I manage one of the many Advance Auto Parts stores, stock a lot of oil, both synth and dino and do what reading I can on both. I agree wholeheartedly with ModelA,: If you're changing your oil every 3K-4K miles, there is no appreciable advantage in buying synth. Save your money. And SHAME on you Wolvie, <grin> for going to AutoZone.

pkagel 02-23-2002 10:13 AM

actually i went to high school there in bay city for a while, dad was in maintenance planning down there so maybe you remember him. they ever fix all that maint problems down there. btw, what do you know about camanche peak, they havea good reputation? i'm working at san onofre right now, great place but man it cost's to live out here.

WOLVERINE 02-23-2002 02:12 PM

Sundog, AutoZone is closer to my house than Avance Auto parts, so I go there instead. I do go to Advance sometimes though to get my wax and tire shine. When I build my project car, I am thinking about getting my engine from Advance. Or maybe Summit. Which would you buy a crate 350 from? :confused: