LED Work light or Hallogen

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED Work light or Hallogen

Ok, folks

Here is a question. Those of you that correct under lights (As you all should) Any of you tinker with LED shop lights vs traditional Halogen?

Today I worked under LED lights as an experiment and I have to say, as much as I am a fan of LED for everything, I think I prefer Halogen for correction/detail work.

Thoughts?

Discuss.

RR

Old 11-25-2017, 08:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RollingRock
Ok, folks

Here is a question. Those of you that correct under lights (As you all should) Any of you tinker with LED shop lights vs traditional Halogen?

Today I worked under LED lights as an experiment and I have to say, as much as I am a fan of LED for everything, I think I prefer Halogen for correction/detail work.

Thoughts?

Discuss.

RR
JP,

I'm assuming that you're talking about what I call "work lights" as opposed to "overhead lighting." The work lights I use are portable / aim-able and fill in the areas where the fixed overhead lighting in my garage doesn't provide enough light for me to see what I'm doing. (Or not doing.)

That said, I've found the few LED work lights I've tried to be pretty pathetic. Yes, they draw far fewer amps, but the light they provide seems to be spotty with numerous hot and dark spots. Said another way, they're far too directional.

Halogens on the other hand seem to truly fill in the whole area and even provide a bit of much needed heat up here in the great white north. Hope that helps.

Tom

Old 11-25-2017, 10:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have to agree with 2stroked, the ones that I have tried or at least able to afford seem to shadow way too much, the light patterns are not near as good as halogen but they stay nice and cool.

Old 11-25-2017, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
JP,

I'm assuming that you're talking about what I call "work lights" as opposed to "overhead lighting." The work lights I use are portable / aim-able and fill in the areas where the fixed overhead lighting in my garage doesn't provide enough light for me to see what I'm doing. (Or not doing.)

That said, I've found the few LED work lights I've tried to be pretty pathetic. Yes, they draw far fewer amps, but the light they provide seems to be spotty with numerous hot and dark spots. Said another way, they're far too directional.

Halogens on the other hand seem to truly fill in the whole area and even provide a bit of much needed heat up here in the great white north. Hope that helps.

Tom
Yuppers Tom i was referring to the portable work lights. I have always worked under them including my overhead but for correction, you cannot beat them. Well, besides spot checking with the Sun Gun. After this last correction, while I love LED lights, the color temp needed for correction cannot be beat. I will be using Halogen. Another example of tried and true methods.

Now when they make a warm color temp LED version, I will check that out in the future.

RR

Old 11-26-2017, 10:19 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Now when they make a warm color temp LED version,
Should be coming eventually, they have them for standard house bulbs and Christmas lights already. I can't tell the difference between my LED's, CFL's, and incandescents.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:17 AM
I love the fact the new offering of led's draw so little current and I can run both of mine and multiple other things at the same time compared to my halogens. They also remain cool enough to touch. These I find are great for interior work. A win/win deal. Try that with halogens.

Tutuapp 9apps Showbox

Last edited by slide9595; 03-25-2019 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:29 AM
It depends on the lumens for LED's and wattage for halogens. I use 2 led's, white and soft white.

Quick Reply: LED Work light or Hallogen