Back to black

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 11:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back to black

So I know there's other products out there that are probably really good, but I watched an interesting video that showed how to get mother's back to black to work a little better (apply heavily and wait 20 minutes before wiping excess). I was about to paint all my plastic pieces and though "what the hell, I'll give it a shot"

This is my test area to see about the durability. I misted some water on it, and it seemed to bead up pretty well so I can see that the protection is there.
Anybody else have good results from products? I am too impatient to paint plastics, sand, and spray (possibly repeat).

Old 08-31-2016, 10:54 AM
Personally, I have had better luck with Meguiar's Ultimate Trim restorer. I bought some Back to Black several years ago to use on my Mustang. It looked good at first, but just didn't last at all.

If you want to spend some dough, Black Wow is a awesome product.

Old 09-04-2016, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by Blown F-150
Personally, I have had better luck with Meguiar's Ultimate Trim restorer. I bought some Back to Black several years ago to use on my Mustang. It looked good at first, but just didn't last at all.

If you want to spend some dough, Black Wow is a awesome product.
I know its temporary and that's a big reason I hated doing the work. But it just looked so awful I couldn't take it anymore! This is just a temp fix though. I'm gathering some funds to get the plastic pieces professionally painted.

Old 09-07-2016, 03:17 PM
Back to Black worked awesome on my 97 4 Runner running boards...not so much on this Ford plastic...I just tried 303 Areospace protectant on my Bed Rail...it looks ok...but some other much more expensive products have been recommended on this site. I'm just too cheap to put out much more on this now 11 year old truck...

Old 09-07-2016, 04:51 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I tried it several years ago on my 2005 and it was terrible. It initially looked great but then the sun killed it and it turned white. I ended up painting with Plasticote and that turned out great.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:00 PM
I've been researching the whole "restoring black trim" subject- to the point where my wife says I'm obsessed, but I just don't want to keep applying something that will not last and will not be worth my time. I have realized to get any kind of results that last for more than a year, painting will be involved. I haven't decided if I'm going to paint them, or if I'm going to get a shop to do it.
I was quoted $700 for a shop to color match all my plastics. And that includes the grill, flares, pieces underneath the flares on the underside, side mirrors, door handles, and tailgate handle. I think that's 16 pieces total. Not a bad price in my opinion. My next step is to get a quote from a place like rhino liner or line-x and just keep them black but have them a good deep black color with a product that has UV protection and won't fade. We'll see what happens.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:36 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
This stuff works pretty well on textured and porous plastic, proper prep is essential:

http://www.autogeek.net/forblacbumtr.html

Old 06-16-2017, 09:16 AM
Old 06-17-2017, 07:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've used the product. Based on my experience, a better name might be something like "Back to black - at least until the first good rain storm."

Old 06-17-2017, 11:49 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
The only thing Back to Black is good for is removing wax residue, use it with an old toothbrush.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I used it many years ago. Was never sold highly on it. First time application was fine, everything else never really made it appear dark again. I used Meguiars hyperdressing after that for some years. Now I am a big fan of Adams Polishes VRT for trim and tire dressing. Good quality, no sling, and no glaring shaine. Just a nice sheen.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:37 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
B2B is mineral spirits.......nothing more, nothing less. I di a experiment on my truck about 2 years ago trying many different techniques........taking a stiff nylon brush with mineral spirits to it proved to be the absolute best results...lasted about 4-6 months. I ended up painting the plastic with Rustoluem...they actually make one for automotive restore....I purchased a platic primer and then with my spray gun, painted everything in a gloss black...on a street truck which I have, IMHO...I like.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:35 PM
I have had excellent results with faded black plastic using Shine Supply Trim Coat Black.
On faded trim Trim Coat Black has a black dye in it and makes the exterior trim black again.
(Be sure to wear rubber gloves when using any chemicals)

After Trim Coat Black has dried (4-8 hours) I apply CQuartz Dlux Wheel & Trim Coating.
In many cases Dlux is fine but if it needs to be black again I use Trim Coat Black first.

CQuartz Dlux is my go-to product on trim. I darkens the trim and acts like a coating when dry.
I will state that IMHO it take 8-12 hours for CQuartz Dlux to dry. IMHO Dlux will lasts up to a year.
CQuartz Dlux is not a dressing it is a coating. When it's cured it's completely dry to the touch.

This is my 1-2 punch for making trim black and making it stay black.
Remember: Each product needs cure time before the next product application.

Name:  DryShineTrim2-.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  65.8 KB

Name:  DryShineTrim1-.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  61.6 KB

Notes: Dlux makes trim darker and has excellent longevity.
Trim Coat Black makes it black. Dlux seals the Trim Coat Black.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:05 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 2stroked
I've used the product. Based on my experience, a better name might be something like "Back to black - at least until the first good rain storm."

This. It looks pretty good when you first put it on but you have to follow the instructions EXACTLY or it won't work very well. But the first, no EVERY time that it rains the BtB seems to dissolve off of the plastic and runs down the body and leaves dark streaks and the plastic is noticeable lighter each time it rains.

Quick Reply: Back to black