New Truck - Need Care & Detailing Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation New Truck - Need Care & Detailing Advice!

***This post is a bit long, but I really appreciate those of you who take the time to read it.

Hey guys,

I will be getting my new 2014 F-150 XLT Crew Cab Ecoboost (4x4) this weekend. I want to take care of this truck as best I can. I am very OCD about my possessions and I take a lot of pride in keeping them all in good shape. In fact, my 2004 FX4 (being sold) is in incredible shape. The interior looks like it just came off the showroom floor. The exterior is in awesome shape as well, BUT there is some decent oxidation on the roof of the truck. Some of this was already there from the previous owner (I bought the truck with 80,000 miles on it). The rest I blame on the grueling Arizona sun.

I have read the detailing sticky on here multiple times and I venture over to AutoGeek to read over there as well (that place is on another level for detailing haha).

Anyways, I am coming here to ask you guys some general questions about care and detailing:

1. Should I wash, clay bar, wax, etc the truck when I first get it or is this unnecessary?

2. How often do you guys clay bar and wax your vehicles?

I am a college student who is graduating in May - I don't have a lot of cash to buy the finest detailing products out there. This is NOT to say that I wouldn't mind stepping up to something a little better. Here is what I currently have or have used in the past.

Body:
Meguiar's Gold Class Wash
Meguiar's Cleaner Wax
Mothers Synthetic Wax
Meguiar's Clay Bar Kit (I need to buy another clay bar kit as this one is quite old)
Meguiar's Scratch-X (never had to really actually use this)

Wheels:
Armor All Extreme Wheel Cleaner (this stuff is ehh) - I really lack a good wheel cleaner
No Touch Seriously Wet (my favorite tire shine - looks awesome if you spray and then wipe off excess)

Engine Bay:
Simple Green, etc - I avoid cleaning the engine bay too aggressively.

Interior:
Folex - best cloth seat and carpet cleaner I have ever used
Soapy wash cloth to wipe off interior
Shop Vac
Interior detail spray - usually I have something sitting around, but haven't focused on finding a good interior detail spray (I have used Turtle Wax and Meguiars).

I need to buy a good wash mitt, wax applicator pads, microfiber towels, grit guard, clay bar kit, a good wheel cleaner, a good interior detail spray (that is SAFE) and possibly some new waxes.

I am sure I have missed some stuff here, but if you guys have ANY suggestions on some reasonably priced products for my above needs please let me know! If I am missing something that you think I should own please let me know!

I do plan on getting a nice DA orbital polisher such as the Griot's, but this could be a year or two from now.

FINAL NOTE: This truck WILL NOT be garaged as of right now. I will be moving to an apartment in the next six months and it is unclear whether or not I will have covered parking, a garage, etc.

Last edited by CC268; 04-09-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:14 PM
Look at adams polishes or chemical guys.
I like them.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:48 PM
I called AutoGeek and they were able to help me out. Bought a bunch of different stuff.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by CC268
1. Should I wash, clay bar, wax, etc the truck when I first get it or is this unnecessary?
Yes, if the truck has been outside for even a couple of days it has been subject to airborne contaminants. If you're serious about keeping it pristine, you need to clay.

I just took delivery of a white 2014 F150 and I'm currently dealing with recurring rail dust spotting on the tailgate, it will need some iron-x for decontamination.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:15 PM
Save $$$

I can understand you wanting to preserve that truck and keep up on it... Being in the detail biz for over 30 yrs let me tell you a few secrets! The Wash--- I use Ajax dishwashing soap for $1.00 it cuts grease great and lots of people don't know it will not harm your paint... (It's also great for oil stains in your driveway)
It also leaves a nice shine! Best of all it's only $1.00
Now for interior stains I use isopro-alcohol again only $1.00 these car cleaners want to make tons of money on you and this stuff works better than theirs! Now for wax I use Carnuba in spray can by Eagle One it's the best I found so far better than Any other I've seen and used! I don't rip my customers off and I tell them straight up! Save your money!

Old 04-10-2015, 03:20 PM
glc
Received 758 Likes on 702 Posts
Dishwashing soap also cuts the wax. You should only use it if you are going to clay, correct, polish, and protect afterwards.

You may have been in the detailing business for 30 years but by your description of what you use you don't strike me as a real professional, sorry. Nothing personal.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:46 PM
Save$$$

It's ok I get that kind of response all the time but hey my way your way and it's also something about just the Ajax brand it really doesn't cut the wax and your right I'm not a pro but I've been doing this for over 30 yrs. No offense taken.

Last edited by RockyArthur; 04-10-2015 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RockyArthur
I can understand you wanting to preserve that truck and keep up on it... Being in the detail biz for over 30 yrs let me tell you a few secrets! The Wash--- I use Ajax dishwashing soap for $1.00 it cuts grease great and lots of people don't know it will not harm your paint... (It's also great for oil stains in your driveway)
It also leaves a nice shine! Best of all it's only $1.00
Now for interior stains I use isopro-alcohol again only $1.00 these car cleaners want to make tons of money on you and this stuff works better than theirs! Now for wax I use Carnuba in spray can by Eagle One it's the best I found so far better than Any other I've seen and used! I don't rip my customers off and I tell them straight up! Save your money!
I've been detailing for 20 years or so and I only use Dish Soap to strip wax. Maybe Ajax is different, but I wouldn't recommend any Dish Soap for use on a vehicle - unless you want to strip the wax right off.

Getting back to the OP's question though, my words of wisdom would be around not screwing a good finish up. The "as delivered" factory paint on your truck is pretty much defect free with the exception of any damage that happened in transport. (Rail dust being one form of transport damage.) So what you do after you pick the truck up can make a huge difference in how good your paint looks and for how long. Things I'd recommend include:

- Proper claying after a good wash
- Use only clean microfiber towels any time you dry or wipe the finish.
- A good coat of wax or synthetic sealant without any cleaners in it. (I like Collonite 845, Menzerna Power Lock or Blackfire Wet Diamond)
- Repeat the above steps periodically and add a polish step when marring starts to show.

Hope that helps!

Old 04-12-2015, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
I've been detailing for 20 years or so and I only use Dish Soap to strip wax. Maybe Ajax is different, but I wouldn't recommend any Dish Soap for use on a vehicle - unless you want to strip the wax right off.

Getting back to the OP's question though, my words of wisdom would be around not screwing a good finish up. The "as delivered" factory paint on your truck is pretty much defect free with the exception of any damage that happened in transport. (Rail dust being one form of transport damage.) So what you do after you pick the truck up can make a huge difference in how good your paint looks and for how long. Things I'd recommend include:

- Proper claying after a good wash
- Use only clean microfiber towels any time you dry or wipe the finish.
- A good coat of wax or synthetic sealant without any cleaners in it. (I like Collonite 845, Menzerna Power Lock or Blackfire Wet Diamond)
- Repeat the above steps periodically and add a polish step when marring starts to show.

Hope that helps!
Thanks 2-stroked! It will probably be several weekend before I get around to clay bar and waxing it. I cleaned the interior really well today. I have to wait for my products from AutoGeek to get here anyways.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:13 PM
I use Meguiar's cleaner wax and and clay bar kit too. In any case, I think the best advise anyone has given me about car paint maintenance when it comes to washing it is "the less abrasive, the better." I just use liquid car soap and water, and I make sure to use microfiber cloth to wipe. I never let water beads dry on my paint under the sun. The factory paint should last as long as you keep it clean and dry.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Seems like your a meguire's man!

I use the same type of stuff, except the Mother's brand 3 stage system, works great for me.

Lately I haven't had time to take as great care of my truck, so I don't wash/wax that often. I usually wax 1-2 times a year(by hand), and hand wash the truck when I get a chance. Maybe once a month or once every other month.

Pro's and Cons I've noticed with this relaxed care:

CON - Truck is always a little dirty, it's a driver.
PRO - If you wash it less and don't TOUCH IT with drying cloth's etc as much, I've noticed the wax lasts much longer AND you don't get swirls. My spring coat of wax lasts easily until deep into winter.

I'm satisfied. If I had a new truck, I would probably do the same, to me it seems over washing introduces swirls and I can live with a "dirty" truck.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:53 PM
Yea I just bought a ton of detailing product from AG. I admit, I spent more than I should have, but I should have everything I need for the most part to fully detail this thing.

I think I will do Pinnacle Cleansing Lotion (cleaner wax) followed by Collinite 845; probably will do it 2-3 times a year. I also have Pinnacle Liquid Souveran to follow up the Collinite 845 if I am feeling real motivated.

I am going to be very careful about not introducing swirls by using the two bucket method and using a grit guard.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by CC268
Yea I just bought a ton of detailing product from AG. I admit, I spent more than I should have, but I should have everything I need for the most part to fully detail this thing.

I think I will do Pinnacle Cleansing Lotion (cleaner wax) followed by Collinite 845; probably will do it 2-3 times a year. I also have Pinnacle Liquid Souveran to follow up the Collinite 845 if I am feeling real motivated.

I am going to be very careful about not introducing swirls by using the two bucket method and using a grit guard.
Be careful with your drying techniques as well! I introduced a lot of swirl marks just by poor drying. After rinsing, take nozzle off of hose and turn it down 50 percent and let the water slowly flow across the surface allowing the water to sheet off. This will help with waterspots and make drying easier. Then you lay a large microfiber or waffle weave towel on the vehicle and drag it across using only weight of the towel to dry your truck. Also just "blot" dry areas you can't drag towel over. This process is tedious but it has helped keep the swirls away.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by Jesusfrk
Be careful with your drying techniques as well! I introduced a lot of swirl marks just by poor drying. After rinsing, take nozzle off of hose and turn it down 50 percent and let the water slowly flow across the surface allowing the water to sheet off. This will help with waterspots and make drying easier. Then you lay a large microfiber or waffle weave towel on the vehicle and drag it across using only weight of the towel to dry your truck. Also just "blot" dry areas you can't drag towel over. This process is tedious but it has helped keep the swirls away.
Thanks for the drying technique, I have heard of people doing this! I admit...it will be tough to do down in Phoenix during the summer as the truck wants to dry itself in about 30 seconds haha.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:56 PM
glc
Received 758 Likes on 702 Posts
You can also use an electric leaf blower to dry it, then follow up with a detailing spray wipedown. I like this:

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-ult...-detailer.html

DO NOT use in the sun, the surface really should be cool.

Quick Reply: New Truck - Need Care & Detailing Advice!