Clay bar highly recommended!! Pic!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clay bar highly recommended!! Pic!

Went to town with a clay bar followed by a heavy coat if wax. First experience with a clay bar. Just what it needed after this winter's salty roads. It's amazing what you'll find on the clay after you just washed the truck and the smoothness after clay bar only is astonishing, then add a coat of wax! Mirror gloss and smooth finish.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Truck looks really nice! Glad you found out how good a clay bar can be. Just a coupe of words of caution though to those who have never used one.

First, you really need to make sure you use a good amount of a proper clay lubricant with the clay bar. If you don't, you'll not only make a real mess, but hate working with the clay.

Second, there are various grades of clay relating to how aggressive it is. The more aggressive the clay, the more it is capable of removing. But, the more aggressive the clay, the greater the chances of inducing surface marring.

And finally, clay is usually the second step - after a good washing - in a full detail of a vehicle. The next steps are normally one or two grades of polish followed by a wax or sealant.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:38 PM
My lube was a bottle of detailing spray and whiped with a microfiber.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:50 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
How long do you give Beechkid before he jumps in here spouting his BS?

Old 03-22-2015, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by glc
How long do you give Beechkid before he jumps in here spouting his BS?
Any minute now ....

Old 03-22-2015, 08:23 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Clay bars are bad. They are not recommended by manufacturers. Clay bars will remove imbedded material in your paint and you definitely don't want that. What you should have done is taken turtle wax and slapped it all over your truck, done a half assed job wiping like a little fat kid that can't reach his crack and called it a day. I'm going to dig up my 30 year old link to post unless someone else has it handy?

Old 03-22-2015, 09:15 AM

Truck looks very nice.. Good job!

Although, I don't use a clay bar as much as I use to in the past.. To me, the less I touch and rub the vehicle the better.. Nowadays I mist the truck with CarPro Iron X, let it dwell for about 5 mins then rinse it off and do a minor claying in trouble areas, hood, bumper cover and below the doors etc. Then I'll usually foam the truck with my foam cannon, gently wash it, rinse, dry and ready for the next step.

Iron X works incredible on my wife's blizzard pearl 13 Highlander Limited.. I don't know what's up with that paint but it's got a ton of rail dust or tiny rust spots that show up every few months. Saves me a boatload of time when I do her detail.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:35 PM
Well whether it's "recommended" or not, I can't argue with the results. It's not something I would subject the finish too often though.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:02 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by FX4000
Well whether it's "recommended" or not, I can't argue with the results. It's not something I would subject the finish too often though.
I was kidding..there's a member who always posts an outdated link about them. I've had great results for years with them. Useless to wax without them. Looks good.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:35 PM
I have to say your truck looks real good, sir. I especially like your front grills. Nice job!

Old 03-25-2015, 11:10 AM
I use clay bar everyother month in the summer. Its the cats ***, for those spots that look dull. Who the hell is this Beechkid?

Old 03-25-2015, 11:14 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
OK, guys, tone it down a bit. People are entitled to their opinions. No need to single someone out for special treatment.

The truck looks good, and some good points are being made about using clay bars. Let's keep it on a civil plane.

- Jack

Old 03-26-2015, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by cdnarmyguy
I use clay bar everyother month in the summer. Its the cats ***, for those spots that look dull. Who the hell is this Beechkid?
Whatever works for you, works for you.. But personally I don't believe you should have to clay every other month... You shouldn't have any spots that look dull after a month either for that matter, if you did a proper detail..

What spots are you talking about that return so often, where are they? Next time just try a lite polish on them and work your way up if need be.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FX4000
Went to town with a clay bar followed by a heavy coat if wax. First experience with a clay bar. Just what it needed after this winter's salty roads. It's amazing what you'll find on the clay after you just washed the truck and the smoothness after clay bar only is astonishing, then add a coat of wax! Mirror gloss and smooth finish.

Your location states Florida, but you mention driving on salty roads all winter. Something doesn't add up. Ha

Truck looks great by the way. I clay every spring, it does wonders.

Quick Reply: Clay bar highly recommended!! Pic!