Nasty, nasty water!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 04:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nasty, nasty water!

My city has to have the absolute worst water I've ever seen!

On top of it all, the humidity is so low, that the front of my truck will dry while I'm washing the rear! It leaves a nasty, dryish coating on the truck.

My usual method is to try to keep it wet all the while I washing it. I then remove the nozzle and use a slow stream to eliminate most of the droplets. I then use a Megs water magnet towel, patting the vehicle to dry it. Then, I absolutely have to go over the entire thing with Megs QD to remove the very thin layer of "stuff". The end result is micromarring and swirl marks in the paint.

I am interested in ALL replies to this post. I simply have to find a better way to doing things than I am currently doing.

I've thought about catching the rain water off the roof into a barrel and using a submerged pump to do the final rinse. Anybody ever tried this?

And no, we don't drink the city water, at least without the benefit of Britta!

Old 06-13-2012, 08:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try Optimum No Rinse. Leaves no residue and leaves the paint looking perfect.

Jim

Old 06-13-2012, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by jaymz
Try Optimum No Rinse. Leaves no residue and leaves the paint looking perfect.

Jim
Who makes it? How is it used? um... what else should I ask that I don't know enough to? Whare di I git sum, huh?

Old 06-13-2012, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by Flagship
Who makes it? How is it used? um... what else should I ask that I don't know enough to? Whare di I git sum, huh?
OK, here's a link to AutoGeek that explains it, and you can order it there. I hesitated to try it at first because I thought it was BS, but it works as advertised.

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html

1. Hose off vehicle
2. wash w/ONR-water-mix, as instructed. Start at roof of vehicle and wash/dry your way down, panel by panel. Use a "microfiber dreadlock" wash mit and dry with a microfiber towel. Don't worry, the paint won't scratch as the ONR protects it. I also utilize the "two-bucket" method.
3. I blow off the panel before drying with a leaf blower, but this step not necessary if you have a supply of dry MF towels.
4. Stand back and ask yourself why you didn't try this earlier.

Jim

Last edited by jaymz; 06-13-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:25 AM
Thank you for replying.

I think I'll try it on another car before I use it on my black 150.

Right now, I'm leaning toward catching the rain water off the roof into a drum and using a submersible pump for final rinse. Of course, that's a lot of work and monkeying around, but...

Last edited by Flagship; 06-14-2012 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-14-2012, 08:14 AM
careful with the rainwater. water falling through the atmosphere mixes with CO2 and can become highly acidic depending on where you live. montana probably not so much, but just a heads up.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:54 AM
Thank you for replying.

I think I'll try it on another car before I use it on my black 150.
The towels are important! Don't use t-shirts, towels, diapers or the ol' ladies panties.

Believe me, your paint will be fine. I'm a perfectionist and would do not hesitate to use ONR on my Lightning.

Just google it and read all the positive reviews.

Jim

Old 06-14-2012, 10:30 AM
Filter!
Here's my redneck carwash filter:

It's just an el-cheapo whole house filter, but it sure does cut down on the water spots from the well water.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you washing in the shade? Always wash in shade (if at all possible) regardless of temp! I NEVER wash anything of mine in sunlight, period!

Old 06-18-2012, 05:57 PM
I don't know if rain water would hurt. If I leave it out in the rain, sitting in my driveway, and let it dry, it has no spots. Problem is, it doesn't rain that much around here so I can't count on it for rinsing without collecting it.

I don't use a tee shirt or towel or diaper. And the ol' lady doesn't wear panties, so that's out!

Actually, I use Megs water magnet MF towels to pat dry. Then I go over it with Megs QD and a plush MF towel. After one season though, I still see light swirl marks. And yes, I do wash in the shade.

I thought about one of those Whole House filters, but was told it would not be enough.

Maybe I'll just go buy 5 gallons of distilled water at the supermarket. It's only about a buck a gallon. I'll use it in a pump sprayer for final rinse.

Or paint the damn thing yellow and then I won't see swirl marks!

Old 06-19-2012, 02:34 PM
I'd be leery of grit in the rain water, especially off the roof if you have asphalt shingles. I've always got a layer of it in the gutters.

Our water is horrible as well. We get nice white deposits in our hoses and fittings. I setup a double canister filter from Autogeek and it helped pretty well. it's not perfect, but a lot better.

I have to wash the car/truck before 11 am, after that I get nothing but sun. I usually wash the wheels and tires first. Then wash the cab, dry it. Wash the bed and dry it. Seems to cut down on the break neck pace of trying to wash and not letting anything dry.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:57 PM
I thought about one of those Whole House filters, but was told it would not be enough.
I was surprised that it works as well as it does.
Combined with some other suggestions mentioned here (washing in the shade, and when it's not so hot) I get good results.
I also don't use a nozzle anymore, but just let the rinse water "sheet" off the vehicle by using a low pressure stream from the garden hose.
(Meaning, no aeration of the water causing more water spots)

Or paint the damn thing yellow and then I won't see swirl marks!
OK, now that might be a bit much!

Quick Reply: Nasty, nasty water!