Griot's or Meg's G110V2??

Old 02-10-2012, 11:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Griot's or Meg's G110V2??

Which one guys? I have read many positive reviews on both. The GG polisher is a little less money and has more power. Which one would work best on my tuxedo black F150? Thanks!

Old 02-11-2012, 06:07 PM
I was asking the same question. I purchased the Griots last month. It has more power and a lifetime warranty! If you have Amazon Prime order it from Amazon. If not order directly from Griots as they have free shipping with an order over $25.00.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by Flash69
I was asking the same question. I purchased the Griots last month. It has more power and a lifetime warranty! If you have Amazon Prime order it from Amazon. If not order directly from Griots as they have free shipping with an order over $25.00.
I have heard good things about this polisher. Can I use any pad with the Griot's? Could I use the Meguiar's pads with it? Also if my truck is still in great shape (14K miles, no scratches or swirls) do I need all the power that the Griot has? I just want to maintain what I already have. I have owned the truck for a year now and have polished it twice. I used a Turtle Wax orbital polisher and it is lousy.

What makes the Griot's a better tool over the Meguiars G110V2 other than the slight power increase? Thanks!

Old 02-11-2012, 08:29 PM
I just got the Porter Cable 7424XP from Amazon for 114 and free shipping. Might want to
check it out before you make a final decision.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by Railroad
I just got the Porter Cable 7424XP from Amazon for 114 and free shipping. Might want to
check it out before you make a final decision.
The price differences between the PC, Megs, and Griot is not an issue. I need to know which machine will show the best results.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:16 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
They will all show great results with the correct pads, products, and technique.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by glc
They will all show great results with the correct pads, products, and technique.
That's what I figured. There is so many different pads to use for different tasks. I am kinda new at this and mainly do the three step process (wash, polish, wax). Sometimes I will use a clay bar if needed. I watched a couple Meguiars videos and they mainly use only two different pads. One for polish or compounds and one for finishing with wax. I think I may go with Meg's polisher, it also comes with a bag

Old 02-12-2012, 10:34 AM
+1 GG 6"

IMHO The GG 6" is the best of breed DA out there now.
More power and a lifetime warranty is also a good combo.
An exception is the Flex 3401 but that's twice the money.

Now the only downside is using the Megs Microfiber Correction system (MF discs and polishes) with the GG.
E.G if the particular pad/product process calls for OPM speed 5 then set the GG on speed 4 (or less) etc.
When using foam pads and polishes the GG does an fantastic job with the Kevin Brown Method.

I have a couple of machines (rotary and DA) Flex, PC, GG etc.
The GG does not bog down like others so use some caution.
All in all it's an excellent machine and you will be happy with it.

I would purchase a 5" backing plate and 5.5" Lake Country 5.5" flat pads

Old 02-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by Merlin
+1 GG 6"

IMHO The GG 6" is the best of breed DA out there now.
More power and a lifetime warranty is also a good combo.
An exception is the Flex 3401 but that's twice the money.

Now the only downside is using the Megs Microfiber Correction system (MF discs and polishes) with the GG.
E.G if the particular pad/product process calls for OPM speed 5 then set the GG on speed 4 (or less) etc.
When using foam pads and polishes the GG does an fantastic job with the Kevin Brown Method.

I have a couple of machines (rotary and DA) Flex, PC, GG etc.
The GG does not bog down like others so use some caution.
All in all it's an excellent machine and you will be happy with it.

I would purchase a 5" backing plate and 5.5" Lake Country 5.5" flat pads
Thanks for the info. Although I am still a bit undecided. I have read numerous threads online that suggest otherwise. Hmmm decisions decisions

Old 02-12-2012, 01:18 PM

I love my PC 7424xp personally. Great results from it too

Old 02-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by Carolinaboy32
I love my PC 7424xp personally. Great results from it too
I have no doubt this is a good polisher. However I am set on either GG or Megs. I am leaning more toward the Megs because I love their products.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:20 PM

Gotcha, I'm a huge Adam's fan. Converted from Meg's

Used their products for years, now I realize how much time I save by using the Adam's products

Just my .02 either way think you'll get good results

Old 02-12-2012, 09:47 PM
I prefer the Megs G110 over the PC and the GG machines. I think it has the best balance, and is the easiest of the three to use, due to balance, causing less hand fatigue, etc.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by Gipraw
I prefer the Megs G110 over the PC and the GG machines. I think it has the best balance, and is the easiest of the three to use, due to balance, causing less hand fatigue, etc.
The G110 is the older model. Is that the one you're referring to? Or are you talking about the V2?

Old 02-12-2012, 10:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bansheerider
The G110 is the older model. Is that the one you're referring to? Or are you talking about the V2?
I have a G110 ( not the V2 ) in the basement. I bought it due to the rave reviews on it. I was replacing a PC that was liberated from the shop.

In using the G110 against my old PC, I was not impressed at all. I think it got the reviews based upon the name only. That or the people reviewing it had one of the old 10" orbital buffers from Autozone for a comparison.
The old PC feels like it is coming unglued, and I have already gone through a set of motor brushes in it. It did more than its fair share of scribing cabinets.

I have an old Cyclo ( an old Model 5 single speed ) as well. That is about only good for polishing, and even some of that it should not be used for ( 1 speed, all out ).

I made a dumb mistake and got a PC7424XP, as I was going to convert to the LC 1 Pad system. Should have RTFM, these are designed for a rotary. Mistake #2 ( 1st being buying the G110 ).

I went back and looked again to find something with more correcting to it ( sub rotary ).

I compared a ( good ) Rotary with the Dynabade adapter ( changes DA to fixed rotary off set with a push of a button ) vs a Flex 3401.

The Rotary with the Dynabrade, you can still stall the pad, the Flex Da you cannot ( forced rotation ).

So from someone owning a new G110 ( again not the V2 ) against a New PC 7424XP against a Flex; if you can afford the Flex, get it hands down.

I still like and use the PC, but for non serious defect correcting and spreading glaze & LSP, other wise I start out with the Flex ( and most of the time keep using it for the LSP ).

Few things with the Flex :
1. Cost.
It is ~ 2.5x the cost of a GG or PC.
2. Pad system
There is a 4.375" and a 5" plate. Lake County is releasing a 4" - 6" quick change plate that is to cover 4-5-6 pads. This is on pre order sale at a few place for ~ 50.00, regular 60.00. no 3" option, if that is something you need.
3. It will spoil you for other machines, and if you are going with the Meg's MF system I have heard ( from reputable detail people ) that the Flex does not work the best with it, the PC, GG, G110V2 are better. I don't know why, I did not ask.

So if you can swing the price, and a 3" backing plate is not a big show stopper for you, go with the Flex.

For a test over the weekend, I took defects out of the top of the washer and dryer. I had no idea how bad they looked until I did a 50-50 on them.

If you want a great deal on that G110 collecting dust in my basement, let me know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Griot's or Meg's G110V2??