Will acetone damage clear coat?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-1999, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Will acetone damage clear coat?

Too late if it does!? It did remove whatever was attached to the paint. Is it safe to use on clear coat?

I touched up an area, let it dry, and then wiped it with acetone and it removed the touch-up paint!! This is what raised the question.........

Thanks in advance,

Todd

------------------
97 White F-150 XLT 4X4 ORP, 4.6, SuperChip, Stillen Air Intake, Gibson Exhaust, Hellwig Sway Bar, Weld Wheels, 33" Bridgestone A/T Duelers, 3" Body Lift, Rancho 9000's, Billet Grill, SmittyBilt Nerf Bars (Stainless), SnugTop Shell (Expo), Sony ES CDX780 Head Unit, W/CD, Sony ES 10 Disk Changer, Sony ES XDP 210 EQ/DSP, MTX 4X75W AMP, Kenwood 300W AMP for Sub., 1 Fared Lightning Monitor Cap, Optima Yellow Top Battery, MTX ThunderForm W/2-8"-4ohm Fosgate Punch XLC, Infinity Kappa components in front, Infinity Kappa 5X7 rear. On Order: White face gauge? Still looking.......

Old 09-07-1999, 04:36 PM
LuvtheC,

Ouch!! If you left it on long enough it would have taken off your primer coat under your paint. It will destroy clearcoatings.......

------------------
Dunbarton "The Middle Aged Kid" '99 XLT SC SB 4x2 4.6 auto 3.55 ls The occasional Z-71 Eater! Wedgewood & Denim, SuperChipped, Airaid FIPK, Rhino Liner, leaky rear slider. Man, I got it all!

Old 09-07-1999, 04:53 PM
It appears to be fine... It just removed the small amount of touch-up I used to fill a chip in the paint. I just swiped it. How do I know if my clear coat is still in tack?? I threw some wax on it last night and it looks fine. A guy I know who does body work say it ok to use acetone?? He states he uses it to remove wax etc prior to painting / touching up an area!?!?!?????

Any comments? I'm confused..........

Todd

------------------
97 White F-150 XLT 4X4 ORP, 4.6, SuperChip, Stillen Air Intake, Gibson Exhaust, Hellwig Sway Bar, Weld Wheels, 33" Bridgestone A/T Duelers, 3" Body Lift, Rancho 9000's, Billet Grill, SmittyBilt Nerf Bars (Stainless), SnugTop Shell (Expo), Sony ES CDX780 Head Unit, W/CD, Sony ES 10 Disk Changer, Sony ES XDP 210 EQ/DSP, MTX 4X75W AMP, Kenwood 300W AMP for Sub., 1 Fared Lightning Monitor Cap, Optima Yellow Top Battery, MTX ThunderForm W/2-8"-4ohm Fosgate Punch XLC, Infinity Kappa components in front, Infinity Kappa 5X7 rear. On Order: White face gauge? Still looking.......

Old 09-07-1999, 07:42 PM
Thumbs down

Is this the same acetone type product that I use to remove clear coat nail polish??? I personally wouldn't want it near my truck's paint!

Old 09-07-1999, 08:05 PM
Lightbulb

Most likely the same. Although it has been a while since I have done my nails! :-)

What's done is done. The question is..... Is the clear coat still there? Do I need to have it worked on etc. Easier to do it know than later.

Thanks again,

Todd

------------------

Old 09-07-1999, 08:16 PM
Lightbulb

Acetone is a super solvent!
The answer to your question depends on how much acetone you used and how long it came in contact with the paint/clear coat.
A quick brush over the area with (trace amount) acetone is not nearly as bad as pouring it on the paint and letting it sit for a few seconds ( Killer ).

PS I hope you don't smoke, acetone is highly flammable.

Old 09-07-1999, 08:29 PM
Todd,

If you used a minimal amount in a small area don't be too concerned. I couldn't tell you if you removed any clearcoat but just keep the area cleaned and waxed. If you fixed chipped paint with touchup then the clearcoat in the chipped area was removed anyhow.

It's not a disaster.

Orangeburg is correct, acetone is highly flammable and the flame is nearly invisible but you'll know something is burning!

------------------
Dunbarton "The Middle Aged Kid" '99 XLT SC SB 4x2 4.6 auto 3.55 ls The occasional Z-71 Eater! Wedgewood & Denim, SuperChipped, Airaid FIPK, Rhino Liner, leaky rear slider. Man, I got it all!

Old 09-07-1999, 08:30 PM
Thanks,

Super solvent? As in good?

I poured some on a rag just and wiped an area behind the left rear tire. (Vertical surface) It seemed to evaporate super fast!?

Still not sure what I was thinking!!!!

Todd

------------------

Old 09-07-1999, 08:49 PM
Acetone is a great solvent depending on what you are using it on. At work we use it 55 gallons at a time (1-2 days), To clean glassware and cut ( remove ) certain chemicals.
I always like methanol or IPA because after you use the alcohol you can put the left overs in your gas tank. IPA is best because it ties up free water and burns just fine.

------------------
99 XLT SC, 4.6 L,MacNeil Window Deflectors, Ford-Duraliner Bedliner, K&N Filter, Westin Nerfs.
Family Hauler

[This message has been edited by OrangeburgFord (edited 09-07-1999).]

Old 09-07-1999, 11:07 PM
OK... I've calmed down. Eveything is ok with the truck!! I love this sight. You just can't make these questions up!! Answers for everything!

IPA? Isapropal alcohol? Wish this sight had a spell checker........

Thanks again,

Todd

Old 09-08-1999, 10:22 AM
Smile

LuvtheC. If it's still shiny in the area where you applied the acetone, then the clear coat is still there.

------------------
1999 Lariat Super Cab, S.B. 5.4L, 3.55 LS
and everything but the leaky slider window.
Bright red w/ gold 2-tone, Leather Captain's Chairs
Mods: Duraliner bedliner, Bugflector II, Hide-a-hooks.
& a leeetle chrome tip on the exhaust.

Old 09-10-1999, 08:01 PM
Yes, IPA = Isopropyl alcohol.

------------------
99 XLT SC, 4.6 L,MacNeil Window Deflectors, Ford-Duraliner Bedliner, K&N Filter, Westin Nerfs.
Family Hauler

Old 08-10-2017, 02:24 PM
Prep Spray

Use vehicle paint Prep Spray. It's made to remove all impurities before a vehicle is painted to prevent flaws. I've used it, and it doesn't remove paint or clear coat. (Just don't let it sit on the paint for hours) Sometimes you can even find it in wipes.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:59 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
Someone crawls out of the woodwork after 18 years...........

Old 03-19-2018, 05:04 AM

Acetone...will it take the clearcoat and/or paint off a car ...

https://forums.anandtech.com › Forums › Social › Off Topic

i think not but try to check this site and find more answers have a nice day

Quick Reply: Will acetone damage clear coat?