Just bought a polisher ????

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just bought a polisher ????

Okay just to get started and learn how to do this. I went to harbor freight and got the 7" varible speed polisher/sander. Cant beat the price for 30 bucks but anyway i am going to learn how to do the correct method on my old 1980 Chevy C30 Dually. My question is what over the counter product from walmart autozone etc that i can use to get rid of the texas pinstripes thats on the fenders? There not that bad at all. Im just looking for a product that will get the scratches out im not in all the terms for the number of the compounds and all that, Thanks again

Old 07-10-2009, 02:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ultimate Compound, Swirl X, or Scratch X 2.0 should do you good in terms of OTC correction products, depending on the severity of the scratch. I know 3M also has some rubbing compound and a finishing product, but I don't know how they compare with the Megs products.

There are some Advanced Autos that carry Meg's pads.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:27 AM
Originally Posted by ELVATO
Ultimate Compound, Swirl X, or Scratch X 2.0 should do you good in terms of OTC correction products, depending on the severity of the scratch. I know 3M also has some rubbing compound and a finishing product, but I don't know how they compare with the Megs products.

There are some Advanced Autos that carry Meg's pads.
Carquest usually has a great selection. I know mine is well stocked with Megs, 3m, and duragloss

Old 07-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Is this a good or reliable polisher. I think you should look into a G110. When it comes to your paint price shouldn't be a factor.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Well hey now.....

I'm so glad KingRanch posted this.....

Because I had been led to believe, that "oribital" polishers sucked, and were WAY more likely to induce swirl marks.

But recently, I was talking to a buddy who used an orbital buffer in a shop, on customers cars, and also at an airport, on million dollar aircrafts, and he never had swirlmarks. He said that swirls have everything to do with the pads, and polishing products being used (and pushing too hard).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
But hey pmason, you said
When it comes to your paint price shouldn't be a factor.
Uh.... well maybe if you have money

I've been waiting for 6 months, because I didn't have $250 for a G110, pads, polish, wax, etc, etc.

If I believed that a cheap oribital buffer would give me the same, swirl free results, I'd already have one.

So, tell me again..... Is a Dual Action polisher / buffer the only way to go ? .... even if your poor like me ?

BTW, I'd rather have dull, funky, paint covered with micro scratches > than swirlmarks ! NOTHING looks worse than swirl marks ! Bird $#!+ looks better than swirlmarks !

Anybody ?

Fish

Old 07-10-2009, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by Fish Chris
I'm so glad KingRanch posted this.....

Because I had been led to believe, that "oribital" polishers sucked, and were WAY more likely to induce swirl marks.

But recently, I was talking to a buddy who used an orbital buffer in a shop, on customers cars, and also at an airport, on million dollar aircrafts, and he never had swirlmarks. He said that swirls have everything to do with the pads, and polishing products being used (and pushing too hard).
I don't think what King Ranch bought was an orbital buffer. I think it's basically a rotary sander that is also labeled as a polisher. As I understand it, these can be very risky as they can burn the paint very easily. That is why detailer use DA polishers (there is a reason everyone just does not go out and spend $30 instead of $100).

I also think you are speaking about an orbital polish, which is different then a sander/polisher and a DA polisher. The orbital polish does not have the power or function for paint correction. It's only used to apply LSP (wax/sealants). The DA's are bought in order to correct swirling and slight scratches in paint. They also all but eliminate the possibility of damaging the paint.

I hope I have that correct.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:30 PM
Okay so, I guess I need to wait another 10 years until I can afford a DA machine

But $100 ? Ha ! The G110 plus pads, and a little bit of polish and wax, is closer to $200..... and that's getting a "supposedly" good online deal on it

Thanks though,
Fish

Old 07-10-2009, 01:04 PM
Okay so, I guess I need to wait another 10 years until I can afford a DA machine

But $100 ? Ha ! The G110 plus pads, and a little bit of polish and wax, is closer to $200..... and that's getting a "supposedly" good online deal on it
I know how you feel. I've wanted one for awhile but they are pricey. I just took advantage of the $80 deal on the older PC 7424 (it's gone up to $100 now). While I spent more on pads, it was pointed out to me that there is a 4" pad/backing plate kit that sells for $30. Even at current prices, that's $130 to get started. You can use the polishes you have now or pick up some good consumer products from your local PEP Boys.

Polish a few friend's vehicles for $50 each (just a simple correction/polish) and pick up some more pads.

A $30 buffer is just fine to apply polish and wax. As you said, just keep the pads clean and you should not have a problem. The DA's are mainly for the ability to do paint correction. I'm new to this but that is my take.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Het tscope.... yea....

But the thing is, my car (my practice vehicle) definately needs some correction ! Talk about a bazillion micro scratches ! If I can make it look better, and not leave any swirls, then I'd feel confident using it on my truck.

Peace,
Fish

Old 07-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Het tscope.... yea....

But the thing is, my car (my practice vehicle) definately needs some correction ! Talk about a bazillion micro scratches ! If I can make it look better, and not leave any swirls, then I'd feel confident using it on my truck.
From what I understand an orbital polish is not going to offer the ability for paint correction. It's for applying and removing LSP only. I think what King Ranch bought is different.... I think it's basically a sander with a backing plate so pads can be attached. I've only ever used one to remove paint from the side of my house.... and it does a great job at this. Turn it at an angle, apply too much pressure or leave it in one spot too long and it's going to damage the paint on a vehicle. It's a chance the user takes.

If you have swirl marks or any type of micromaring, I'd say a DA is the way to go.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:42 PM
BTW KingRanch, I wasn't trying to steal your thread, and since you already have an orbital, try it, but be REALLY careful, and please post your results.

Peace,
Fish

Old 07-10-2009, 02:35 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Orbitals are not going to damage anything, or even do much, if any, correction - its ROTARIES that you need to be VERY careful with. A sander is a rotary.

Is your old C30 single stage paint, or base/clear? Equipment, products, and techniques differ. What works on single stage could damage clear, and vice versa.

The reason a DA or Flex is recommended so much is it's the best of both worlds. It's essentially an orbital with forced rotation. It has corrective ability with a lot less potential for damage than a straight rotary.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Orbitals are not going to damage anything, or even do much, if any, correction - its ROTARIES that you need to be VERY careful with. A sander is a rotary.

Is your old C30 single stage paint, or base/clear? Equipment, products, and techniques differ. What works on single stage could damage clear, and vice versa.

The reason a DA or Flex is recommended so much is it's the best of both worlds. It's essentially an orbital with forced rotation. It has corrective ability with a lot less potential for damage than a straight rotary.
This is why I think that the G110 is a great starter kit. You can't go wrong for $150

Old 07-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by pmason718
This is why I think that the G110 is a great starter kit. You can't go wrong for $150
X2.
Like someone already said, learn to use the DA and hustle friends and family members to make it pay for itself. Show them the results of your truck to sell them.

The G110 is a great tool for safely correcting paint.
Once you fall down the rabbit hole of serious detailing you will never be the same or look back.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:01 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
hey guys well i have always done everything by hand and i just wanted something cheap so i can learn and see if i like it. This is what i got from HF
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92623
it was on sale for 34 bucks then i had a 20 percent discount so it came to 30 bucks. Im going out later and will post pics of the truck and if it ever cools down a little bit this evening i will start playing with it. Right now its 107 degrees outside and dont want to start with it being so hot. I will post pics of the truck now and if i start it tonite will post some after pics. Oh by the way what pad do i get for correction doesnt have to be nething special after all im working on a 29 year old truck i dont think i can hurt it nemore

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 07-10-2009 at 06:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Just bought a polisher ????