Opinions on the Waterblade?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 02:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on the Waterblade?

Hey Guys,
I'm curious if anyone has heard of the California Waterblade. And if so, would you recommend using it? It is a squeegee made of super soft and flexible silicone rubber, and is used to dry large areas fast. It works well on windows and large flat areas. Helps eliminate water spots. We use them all the time at work on our whole fleet. I'm hesitant to use this on my personal vehicle because I don't know if it's safe or gentle enough to preserve the super high quality shine that I'm striving to acheive. Also, will it strip product like wax and polish off the finish? Plus's: Quick, Saves towels, water is gone before it has a chance to spot. Minuses: Is it too harsh for a waxed and polished finish superior quality paint job? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm learning so much on this forum. Thanks guys.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:20 AM
I believe that the opinion here is that the blade will scratch the paint but would be ok for glass applications FWIW...

Old 02-06-2008, 05:57 AM
Generally speaking, it is not a good idea to be dragging something along the paint of your vehicle. A great way to dry a vehicle after a wash is with a leaf blower, or an air compressor that has some sort of an attachment to defuse the air. There is also the tried and true drive around the block, followed by a micro-fiber towell. I would advise against dragging any objest along your paint (made of soft and flexible material or not).

Just my $0.02

Old 02-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by Tornadom
Generally speaking, it is not a good idea to be dragging something along the paint of your vehicle. A great way to dry a vehicle after a wash is with a leaf blower, or an air compressor that has some sort of an attachment to defuse the air. There is also the tried and true drive around the block, followed by a micro-fiber towell. I would advise against dragging any objest along your paint (made of soft and flexible material or not).

Just my $0.02
Ditto on forced air to dry a vehicle. I use the leaf blower option.
I saw the Water Blades hanging in the store. I checked one out and determined that I wouldn't drag that across my paint. I won't even drag a towel across my paint.
Imagine if you picked up one small particle of dirt or other contaminate during a drag across the hood with that thing.

You'd have to break out the DA and get to work.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:00 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I used to believe in them... in fact, if you dredge, you'll find where I've defended it... My tune has changed. Let me explain.

I used it for a while on my 2001 King Ranch (Chestnut Brown). I thought it was doing a great job but, when I really started learning a few more of the ropes with this detailing thing, I started to really notice a lot of fine line/straight line scratches.

I thought I was QD'ing poorly (and maybe I was, to a certain extent) but, the more I watched, the more I was convinced that the blade, after picking up some minute piece of crud either from the paint or from the air, was dragging something down the paint and causing the scratch.

The blade, itself, in my opinion, wasn't causing the scratch but rather the miniscule piece of crud that it managed to snag.

That said, if you're an absolute PERFECT car washer, maybe you won't have any problems. I don't think I know anyone that's perfect...

My advice, stick with the other tried and true methods like:

1. Air
2. Water Sheet Drying
3. Blot drying with nice WW MF
4. Don't dry
5. RO water for rinse

-RP-

Old 02-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Agree with RP

Used one for a while, then I apparently dragged a small pine needle across my hood with terrible results. Still have the scratch, but it is hard to notice if you don't know where it is. Just air and mf towels now.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:11 AM
Technical Article Contributor

I use one, mostly on the glass and chrome before it has a chance to spot, but I'll occasioanlly drag it across the whole truck when I"m in a hurry. I haven't had any problems yet. Makes drying a 1 min process, then I don't have to deal with a bunch of wet towels.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Suspended
I too, like Rockpick, used to like it. But, even with a 2 bucket method and incredibly thoroughly rinsing I still got line scratches. Avoid the blade!

Old 02-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Absolutely do not use it. Only use it on glass if you do.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:16 AM
Thanks for all the opinions fellas. I will stop using it on my Lightning, but I will continue to use it on Fire Engines. Saves lots of towels! Thanks again.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:42 AM
i used it on my mustang for awhile but only on certain areas that i would get alot of waterspots, like the glass, rear bumper, and underneath the wing is a great spot to use it. Otherwise with the scoop on the hood i learned a long time ago leaf blowers are the way to go, especially around light fixtures (heads n tails) door trim, and all the little nooks and cranny's of the tailgate. I wouldnt drag it across my paint though, not when i first learned about the waterblade the detailer i was watching used one on a bmw. lets say the owner was PISSED!

Old 02-07-2008, 07:18 AM
Like RockPick, I used to use one all the time... Now I use it for glass. I really like the way it works, but as RP said, the risk is simply too high. However, there is a bit of paint that sees this thing: The top of the bumper pad and grill. I never polished it--it is somewhere between the rock chipped bumper and the swirl free hood. Since neither were ever polished, it really helps to remove the little pools of water that always ends up there...

On glass, you have nothing to worry about as long as you have properly cleaned the glass before drying it.

BUT... if you are still thinking you want to use it, rest assured, you will not be removing an inordinate amount of wax.

... I see you are also a FF-- same here... Fire trucks make these things look like GOLD...

Old 02-07-2008, 07:14 PM
I received one many years ago as a gift. Used it once on black paint. After a quick inspection of the paint with my jewelers lope, before and after using the blade... that was the last time it ever touched paint. Fortunately, the paint was very clean, so there wasn't any scratching. I simply didn't like the way it marred the LSP. I knew what it would have done if there was any dirt trapped under the blade, based upon what it did to the LSP.

Since then, it is only used to dry "clean" windows.

Quick Reply: Opinions on the Waterblade?